Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CNET summarizes a report [Google translation] from prominent Japanese business newspaper Nikkei claiming that both the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C will launch in Japan on Friday, September 20, ten days after the devices are expected to be unveiled at an Apple media event.
SoftBank and KDDI will handle sales of the iPhone 5S and 5C, according to Japan's largest business daily. NTT Docomo is not expected to sell the new iPhones, Nikkei added. [...]

In addition to the conventional black and white models, a new "champagne gold" will be offered, the newspaper said. This reinforces widely-reported rumors about that color option for the iPhone 5S.

The 5S is expected to come with an upgraded processor and camera as well as fingerprint reader integrated into the home button, according to the report.
September 20 has been widely speculated to be the date for the first wave of launches for Apple's new iPhone models, based on past history. Apple typically launches its new iPhones in the United States and several other markets roughly a week and half after they are introduced, and with a September 10 media event all but confirmed, September 20 is viewed by many as the most likely launch date.

iphone_5S_5_side_by_side-800x830.jpg
Prototype iPhone 5S (left) vs. iPhone 5 (right)
Last year, Apple introduced the iPhone 5 at a media event on September 12, with the first round of launches taking place on September 21 in the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and the United Kingdom.

Article Link: iPhone 5S and 5C Expected to Launch in Japan on September 20

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Way too soon after the Keynote...

It's not too soon if you consider last year:
Last year, Apple introduced the iPhone 5 at a media event on September 12, with the first round of launches taking place on September 21

In fact, it was only 9 days after the Keynote last year.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I'm still really up in the air about what I'm going to do with my upgrade. If the iPhone 5S doesn't wow me, I might be ditching the iPhone.

Had iPhones since 2007, but the last few releases have been really disappointing.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

CNET summarizes a report [Google translation] from prominent Japanese business newspaper Nikkei claiming that both the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C will launch in Japan on Friday, September 20, ten days after the devices are expected to be unveiled at an Apple media event.September 20 has been widely speculated to be the date for the first wave of launches for Apple's new iPhone models, based on past history. Apple typically launches its new iPhones in the United States and several other markets roughly a week and half after they are introduced, and with a September 10 media event all but confirmed, September 20 is viewed by many as the most likely launch date.

ImagePrototype iPhone 5S (left) vs. iPhone 5 (right)
Last year, Apple introduced the iPhone 5 at a media event on September 12, with the first round of launches taking place on September 21 in the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and the United Kingdom.

Article Link: iPhone 5S and 5C Expected to Launch in Japan on September 20
Tech blogs / media outlets just copy each other. Of course the rumor will be "reinforced". Just like the double-fail "BGR" rumor about the release of iOS beta 6 and 7, which has been "reinforced" by many other tech blogs.

James717

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
Good for HK, Japan, USA.

But what about China, Taiwan, and South Korea?

They usually get Apple stuff over 1 month after the official release date.

Anyone know why?

thegurio

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2009
Hobart
Most won't.

lol... Are you actually serious? Most won't buy the top of the line? Thats why they don't price them that way of course...

That's like saying that people will only buy the entry iPad/iPod because they don't want to pay any more!

For the record, I will be walking out with 3 of the top of the range ones when they are first released, and no, sadly, pretty colours or price won't affect my decision.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I'm still really up in the air about what I'm going to do with my upgrade. If the iPhone 5S doesn't wow me, I might be ditching the iPhone.

Had iPhones since 2007, but the last few releases have been really disappointing.

I think you should ditch the iPhone. Youve had it now time to try something else.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Good for HK, Japan, USA.

But what about China, Taiwan, and South Korea?

They usually get Apple stuff over 1 month after the official release date.

Anyone know why?

Regulators' approval (China) / Smaller market (South Korea, Taiwan)

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC

Um, the last few includes the 4, which was and still is a marvelous piece of technology.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

The last few releases, 3GS->4 (retina display, better camera, front camera, glass body, huge), 4->4S (single to dual core, 2x as fast, big update to camera, huge), 4S->5 (again 2x as fast, 16:9 screen, new design with thinner aluminium body)

The only thing Apple did not do was to increase the size to 5 inches.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
lol... Are you actually serious? Most won't buy the top of the line? Thats why they don't price them that way of course...

That's like saying that people will only buy the entry iPad/iPod because they don't want to pay any more!

Erm, thats exactly what people do! I personally would've loved to have an iPad 32Gb, but wasn't going to pay the extortionate price for it, so went for a 16Gb version. We all can't "wander into store on release day and buy 3 top of the line phones".

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
I cry a little inside when I don't hear rumors of a bigger screen this close to the reveal.

Android here I come...

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I'm guessing the colored models will be very popular. They will be good enough and be cheap (for an iPhone)
Why will anyone buy the flagship iPhone?

Some people just want the best phone. The clincher could be:

-- Slightly better internals with latest processor
-- Improved camera
-- Fingerprint unlocking
-- Availability of alluring champagne color
-- The only phone with 128GB option

Any single one of the above five features, could be enough to sway some people towards the flagship 5S.

But for millions, the 5C will be a very attractive option. If at a minimum 16GB, count me in.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I cry a little inside when I don't hear rumors of a bigger screen this close to the reveal.

Android here I come...

It should've been obvious with leaks of the 5S from a few months ago.

Well goodbye, then.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Hah, they're getting it late. Consider this payback for launching Pokémon late in the US.

Last edited:

dball4

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2010
Illinois
October 4th

Rumor has October 4th for a US launch. I work for Verizon and we have a vacation blackout that week. My friend at Sprint does as well.

But the 4th of October has been going around the grapevine for a week or so and our regional director hinted at a big launch the first week in October

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.