iPhone 5's battery life is worse than iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OSxiPro, Mar 9, 2013.

1. macrumors member

OSxiPro

2. macrumors P6

MacDawg

My iPhone 5's battery is better than my 4s was, no placebo
    Battery life is affected by too many factors to draw conclusions from one user to another

3. macrumors 68020

Exactly.

Maybe the i user plays games and streams music and movies all day and the 4s user does not of that. It's all relative.

I get about the same battery life from my 5 as I did my 4/4s.

4. thread starter macrumors member

OSxiPro

Thanks! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear! :)

5. macrumors 68040

The 4S probably had the worst battery of all iPhones. The 5 is much better. It's on par with the 4.

6. macrumors 68000

Iphone5 battery is better. Problem is that many Apps these days work as widgets constantly updating the info whether or not they are in use. If you eliminate these Apps you'll see how much better the Iphone5 battery life is

7. macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

It had remarkably better battery than the 3GS and original iPhone I owned.

8. macrumors member

I am not sure what was going on with my 4S, it might have had a sub par battery, it seemed like I was charging it all the time and if I charged it overnight (so it was at 100%) by the end of my work day it would easily be down to 85% or so, consequently I would have to charge it about every three days (or so).

With the 5, I charged it overnight last Sunday, by Monday night it was still at 100%, and sitting here Saturday morning (a full SIX days) it is at 40%, meaning I may be charging this ONCE a WEEK, instead of 2-3 times per week.

Needless to say, you results may vary, but I am impressed and amazed...!

(Note: Not a heavy Data / Internet user)

9. macrumors 68030

Mlrollin91

My iPhone 5 battery is probably 3-4X better than my 4S. I use my phone all day and still end up with 60%+ at the end of the day, with my 4S I was struggling to make it to the end of the day with 10%. My LTE signal strength is much better than my HSPA strength, so I'm sure thats a big reason why my battery is better.

I was fearful of getting the 5 because of all the battery problems my friends have had. Luckily, I have a great battery!

10. cynics, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

macrumors 604

cynics

Technically if tested the 4S is better.

iPhone 4S

http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?benchmark=glpro25&D=Apple+iPhone+4S&testgroup=battery

iPhone 5

http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?benchmark=glpro25&D=Apple+iPhone+5&testgroup=battery

The iPhone 4S is 14% better in the highest test (only test for the iPhone 5).

Glbenchmark basically maxes out the CPU/GPU while running the screen at full brightness until the battery dies. Worst case scenario really.

The key thing is usage, the iPhone 5 has a lot of more efficient components but they can do more work and hence use more power.

Edit: this test doesn't include the radio which is why people probably see better battery life. The new LTE radio may be holding into signal much better. Thus at the end of the day you used less battery. Come to on screen use, movies, gaming etc the 4S is tested better.

11. macrumors 6502

CharlieBrandt09

I, too, think something was up with my 4S battery. But on my 5, I get a full day of moderate to heavy use with only having to plug in before bed.

12. thread starter macrumors member

OSxiPro

Thanks for posting the links. My iPhone 4S seems to last for 2-3 days without me needing to charge it normally and that's with some data usage.

I did think the iPhone 5 would have a similar battery because its thinner. I think people either messed up their iPhone 4S to get bad life or are exaggerating the iPhone 5's life. Either way I might as well just wait to upgrade when the 5S comes.

13. macrumors 604

cynics

I'm probably going to go with the 5S too. It seems to get better software then the none S models. Example would be the 4S getting Siri but the 4 didn't, then when the 5 came out the 4S got everything where the 4 didn't get maps.

I'm not impressed to much with the hardware. More of the software on it. But I'm expecting the 6 to be more of an upgrade with software and hardware wise.

14. macrumors 68000

TyPod

I feel like my iPhone 5 battery is better than my 4. Although I didn't have a 4S, I can definitely tell the battery life of my 5 is much better.

15. macrumors 604

cynics

What kind of battery life are you guys getting with your 5 compared to your 4S?

I've never got amazing like like some people post 10+ hours of usage but I blame that mostly on signal and type of usage.

I can get 8 hours of usage time on my Verizon 4S.

16. macrumors 68030

Mlrollin91

I get roughly 5 hours of usage and 14+ hours of standby and still have over 60% left. Mostly texting and browsing. Bluetooth on, backlight at about 40% and WiFi always off.

17. macrumors 6502a

Prime85

I am sure people that get bad battery life are the ones that have their brightness turned up. Personally it is too bright for me especially at night.

18. macrumors 68020

19. macrumors 68030

Mlrollin91

Seriously.. When I wake up in the morning and check my phone and its at 40% in a dark room, its blinding. Only time I need it at 40% is during the day, too bad there isn't a feature that allows the brightness to change with the time of day. Auto-brightness doesn't have a large enough effect.

20. macrumors 65832

Grayburn

I was gonna share my opinions but seeing as your dismissing former 4S owners and present 5 owners opinions I won't bother.

21. thread starter macrumors member

OSxiPro

I'm not dismissing opinions at all. If I was I wouldn't even make this thread. Is looking at information and thinking most cases point towards the 5 being similar in battery life bad? Lets not make this thread dramatic. What's your opinion? I really am interested.

22. macrumors 68020

I use my iP5 the same way I used my 4S & 4.

iPhone 5 battery life is terrible.

But Mophie Juice Pack Air fixed that problem for Apple. Now I can freely use mine all day without running out.

23. macrumors 604

cynics

Awww! No, go on! Lol

24. macrumors member

My 5's battery life is horrible. Put my phone on sleep at 1:30am with 18% juice left, went to bed and checked my just a few minutes ago at 9:50 and the phone was dead. That's with an hour lost due to Daylight Savings Conversion.

Yes, I could've plugged it in overnight but that isn't the point - a phone shouldn't drain that quickly not doing anything.

25. macrumors 6502a

Looon

I love my iPhone 5's battery personally. I was just thinking to myself last night how great it was that after working 9 hours I still had 65% battery left on my phone. I even laughed to myself as two of my co-workers had to plug their phones in in the middle of the shift to charge them (not iphones).