Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I had my iPad 3 for about 5-6months, then the 4 came out.
Does it suck? Sure!
Is it the end of the world? No
Does my iPad 3 perform at any lower of a standard now that the 4 is out? Not at all!

I loved my iPad 3 when it came out and still love it right now.
You don't always have to have the newest and best thing..... Or do you? :rolleyes:

I purposely skip versions on iPhone and iPad. I feel you get more for your "upgrade dollar that way"
Just be happy with what you got man!

What I've done up until now (and have been perfectly happy) is:
iPhone 3 to iPhone 4, and this week I plan to buy a 5.
And on iPad I went from 1 to 3. No intention to buy the 4. I'll probably just pick up the 5.
Not the end of the world brother!

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Give the guy a break...

I, for one, never buy ANYTHING because there always seems to be something better right around the corner. I just wait, and wait, and wait some more, while all you suckers enjoy your phones.

I'll have the last laugh though when Apple releases: iPhone TE (The End), which will NEVER be upgraded or improved. I will be the only one who can afford it because I didn't waste my money "upgrading".

It's a sweet life, living under this rock :p

The point is it appears the next thing round the corner comes sooner now. Apple products might not even get a year.

It will only mean people have to skip releases.

----------

I had my iPad 3 for about 5-6months, then the 4 came out.
Does it suck? Sure!
Is it the end of the world? No
Does my iPad 3 perform at any lower of a standard now that the 4 is out? Not at all!

I loved my iPad 3 when it came out and still love it right now.
You don't always have to have the newest and best thing..... Or do you? :rolleyes:

I purposely skip versions on iPhone and iPad. I feel you get more for your "upgrade dollar that way"
Just be happy with what you got man!

Ipad 4 arrived 5 months earlier than expected. You don't expect to buy an Ipad to be obsolete in 6 months..yes really obslete. The Ipad 3 is the only one to be discontinued in such a short space of time. Even Ipad 2 is still on sale.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Ipad 4 arrived 5 months earlier than expected. You don't expect to buy an Ipad to be obsolete in 6 months..yes really obslete. The Ipad 3 is the only one to be discontinued in such a short space of time. Even Ipad 2 is still on sale.

Like I said man, yeah it sucks but it's not the end of the world.
This subject only matters to someone who needs to have the best and newest product at all times.
By no means am I arguing with you. I'm just more laid back on the subject I guess.
You are never gonna beat technology. As Interstella said on page one, "as soon as you buy it, it's obsolete"..

Just like buying a new car. Try and take it back to the dealer a year or six months later and see what they offer you.
It's just life. We gotta deal with it or we don't have to buy the product. Simple as that. No hard feelings.

If you want to play that game just sit at home and look at all the new shiny on the internet, ANYTHING you purchase is obsolete from the day it ships to you.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Like I said man, yeah it sucks but it's not the end of the world.
This subject only matters to someone who needs to have the best and newest product at all times.
By no means am I arguing with you. I'm just more laid back on the subject I guess.
You are never gonna beat technology. As someone said on page one, "as soon as you buy it, it's obsolete"..
Just like buying a new car. Try and take it back to the dealer a year or six months later and see what they offer you.
It's just life. We gotta deal with it or we don't have to buy the product. Simple as that. No hard feelings.

Not everybody can afford to update once per year never mind a smaller timescale though.

Apple is not going to please anybody putting out new Ipads every few months. That's when the hype bubble bursts and the queues stop.

I hope Ipad 4 was a one off just to update the lightning dock as Ipad mini arrived.

Apple might forget there's still a global economic crisis on..yes people spend all there wages on Apple once per year, maybe twice on Ipads and Iphones but squeezing people further will annoy more people than care to pay..if you waste your money your a mug basically updating every few months.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I hope Ipad 4 was a one off just to update the lightning dock as Ipad mini arrived.

I really believe this is the case. Just to unify the line.

Ipad 3 is the only one to be discontinued in such a short space of time. Even Ipad 2 is still on sale.

I bought the mythical unicorn of a MacBook that was all aluminum. It was out for about 6 months before it was changed to a "pro"... I didn't loose an ounce of sleep over it. I don't know, Just me I guess.
My point is just that it doesn't matter to everyone. I still use that MacBook to this day. Works totally fine for what I need it for. I've just learned to be happy with what I got. I don't need to and can't afford to upgrade anything yearly.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Me too. I think it's pretty damn cool actually!

Haha me too! As you can see in my signature I call it the "collectors edition" haha :cool:
I love it man! Fully serviceable, by me. Ram, battery, hard drive. I'm gonna hang on to her as long as I can!

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Give the guy a break...

I, for one, never buy ANYTHING because there always seems to be something better right around the corner. I just wait, and wait, and wait some more, while all you suckers enjoy your phones.

I'll have the last laugh though when Apple releases: iPhone TE (The End), which will NEVER be upgraded or improved. I will be the only one who can afford it because I didn't waste my money "upgrading".

It's a sweet life, living under this rock :p

LOL!

Your said iPhone will probably come when iOS is degraded so badly (given the seemingly more and more un-innovative release every year) and Apple is releasing its last iPhone before shutting down the company as a whole.

But I enjoy your sarcasm though :D

----------

Of course not, you just signed a two year contract.

Riddle me this though, which of the following do you buy immediately after a new version is released?

Your car? Yearly release for new models
Your computer? Yearly release for updates
Your TV? New ones every year
Your house? I hear they're building new ones of those every day
Your kids? If you have a new model the old ones are, by your logic, obsolete.
Your phone? Not sure why yours will stop functioning now that the 5S has been...what, rumored to possibly come out next year?

If you want to play that game just sit at home and look at all the new shiny on the internet, ANYTHING you purchase is obsolete from the day it ships to you.

Or, wild idea, I know, you can enjoy what you have. For comparison sake:

MBP Rev 1 (almost 7 years old) - still used occasionally
iPhone 2G - (5 years old) Perfect condition, used occasionally
iPhone 3G - (4 years old) Still good condition, retired recently
iPhone 4 - (almost 3 years old) Perfect condition, currently being used by my GF
TV - 6 years old, used daily
PS3 - 3 years old, works perfectly, used daily
Gamecube - 10 years old, used daily
Wii - 5 years old, works perfectly, used often
iPhone 5 - (less than 4 months old) Works perfectly and will continue to do so regardless if a newer model is released, used daily.

Excellent example!:cool:

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
I ordered my phone Oct.1 had to wait for apple to ship it 3-4 weeks later when I received it and began service with AT&T, and now the iPhone 5s with the long awaited NFC is supposedly coming mid 2013. AT&T is not going to let me upgrade.

Yep. And your iphone 5 will shrink and become slower when the iphone 5S comes along. It will also lose its retina resolution and become monochrome.

internetguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
and i don't know why ppl make such a big deal with NFC...
if you want it so bad, go with gs3...
you see those commercial that you can tap NFC and transfer...

but if you want NFC to pay for anything in the store, i think you already have a credit card and NFC is quite useless and drained your battery...

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
The iPhone 5 is my first iPhone ever but what I plan to do is skip the "S" models because they dont seem like very big upgrades. I'll be waiting for the 6, even though I bought my 5 without a contract.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Humans need to stop being so greedy, and be contented with what you have, not splurge money whenever a new product comes out just because you "need" to have the latest.

I'm still using my 3GS. If someone gives a iPhone 4 now, I'll already be more than happy despite it being outdated.

Buy a iPhone 5 if you want and be happy with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.