Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zedzded

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Perth, Australia
Exactly. If I want a decent pic in low light I reach for my Canon

You're in a nightclub, your friends pose for a photo and you "reach for your canon" which you happen to have tucked away in your back pocket...:rolleyes:

Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II.jpg

I think you're missing the point.. ..

----------

The True Tone flash is revolutionary

camera quality seems really great. close to DSLR

Face_palm.jpg

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
the camera improvements look great, but i'm honestly very surprised to see that they stuck with 8 MP for the 3rd generation in a row. i was expecting at least 10 MP but seems cramming a larger sensor in there isn't happening at the moment.

There are enough pixels in 8MP that you can crop out more than half of them and still end up with a perfectly clear 4x6 print.

The trick is making those pixels large enough that they can capture enough light to react well in low-light situations. 15% larger pixels isn't a huge improvement, although that's a linear measure so as the video says it is 33% more light (1.15*1.15=1.3225). Still, 33% more surface area per pixel versus 33% more pixels (10.6MP) ... the larger pixels are going to have a much more dramatic effect on your pictures than having more of them would.

Jayse

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Sydney, Australia
See this is where Apple shines. For all the hate I see in these forums Apple will continue to do very well because they release products that are consistent, appeal to the masses, and are reliable. I am underwhelmed by today as far as huge gimmicks go, but that's when I stop and realize I don't want gimmicks. I want to pick up my phone and have it shine in the categories of typical use. After having a 4s, GSIII, HTC One, and now iPhone 5 I am "educatedly" convinced Apple makes the best phone and will continue to do so.

Keep it up Apple, way to not try releasing crap like Galaxy Gear just cause the market clamors for useless devices.

Braggadocious Apple Products Here

You sir speak more truth than an entire forum of Fandroids. Very underwhelming announcement today but Apple still setting the bar ever-higher in the smartphone industry.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
- RAW
- manual modes (heck, you can't even set the WB of the 5s, let alone other parameters!)
- 28mm WA (and zoom if you like)
- significantly larger sensor and somewhat brighter lens at WA

etc.

This is why the wifi in the upcoming Canon S120 (and current S110) appeals to me. I'd rather just bypass the iPhone camera altogether and take pictures on my Canon, then tap the screen to send photos I want to share or edit via Instagram/iPhoto etc straight to the iPhone in my pocket. Use the superior camera every time instead of juggling back and forth. (I like to liveblog so time is a factor in sharing images, which is one of the reasons for the constant juggling)

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The high fps and slow motion video should be due to the enhancement of the CPU. I think the 5 and 5s use the same camera module. I wish I'm wrong.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Having a 33mm vs the better 28mm wider angle is a definite black eye.

How often do people take pics of things that are closer, groups of people, and the like?

All the time.

Depends how the lens handles the wider angle. The iphone lens already distorts things noticably, so portraits and the like can look silly depending on the distance and perspective etc. 28mm is not better if it further distorts, e.g. portraits, which i suppose a lot of the shots done with phone cameras are (or food portraits, self portraits). Wider may be better for landscapes etc, but those sort of shots already look bad on a phone camera, so i dont really see the need to go wider at this point.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I am pretty sure I read that the iPhone 4s also supports HD voice on t-mobile as well.

Pretty sure not. It was a new feature T-Mobile marked as unique when their iPhone 5 launched. I did a little bit of research after I heard about it. It only works on 2 phones with Hd voice. So basically, only an iPhone 5 from T-Mobile can use it with another iPhone 5 from T-Mobile. If it's any other way it doesn't work. Not sending or receiving. At least currently. We'll see what is goin on with the 5S in a few weeks

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
That's a guy? I thought it was a lesbian couple? But to answer your question I thought it was cause asian guys have tiny dicks that white women aren't satisfied with... just what I assumed.

----------

You mean white women yes? I've met plenty of American women of asian descent.

Cant tell if you are serious or not (on the first point). Are you?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
SloMo mode was presumably inspired by the fact that there's been no significant features added to the iPhone since the iPhone 4 was launched 39 months ago...

... and also add the fact that, back in the iOS5 times, the iPhone 4S supported 720p60. Then, with iOS6, it was taken away (and was never given to the iPhone 5 users), only to re-introduce it in iOS7.

That is, Apple is re-introducing previously removed stuff as brand new. (Of course, 120 is more than 60. But you do get the point.) This isn't the only thing: they've done the same to anti-aliasing on non-Retina iPads' iPhone emulation mode. They've removed it in iOS5 to boost the sales of the Retina iPads (which did antialiasing) and, now, they're reintroducing it as brand new.

Given that they play such tricks, it seems they indeed don't have much innovation.

----------

Depends how the lens handles the wider angle. The iphone lens already distorts things noticably, so portraits and the like can look silly depending on the distance and perspective etc. 28mm is not better if it further distorts, e.g. portraits, which i suppose a lot of the shots done with phone cameras are (or food portraits, self portraits). Wider may be better for landscapes etc, but those sort of shots already look bad on a phone camera, so i dont really see the need to go wider at this point.

You can always shoot portraits from more far away and, then, crop. Then, they won't become "fat".

ShiftClick

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
Los Angeles
You're in a nightclub, your friends pose for a photo and you "reach for your canon" which you happen to have tucked away in your back pocket...:rolleyes:

I think you're missing the point.. ..

----------

Not everyone who comes here is some whippersnapper going to the "club" get out of your fishbowl every once in a while.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
This isn't the only thing: they've done the same to anti-aliasing on non-Retina iPads' iPhone emulation mode. They've removed it in iOS5 to boost the sales of the Retina iPads (which did antialiasing) and, now, they're reintroducing it as brand new.

The blown up (2X) iPhone app mode on non-retina iPads has never used retina graphics since iOS 3.2. It is only possible by a jailbreak tweak called RetinaPad.

ShiftClick

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
Los Angeles
Cant tell if you are serious or not (on the first point). Are you?

I'm never serous, unless we get into technical details the rest is for my entertainment. That's why I love MacRumors so much, every walk of life comes through here. Its pretty cool. Or if I'm giving post production advice, then I'm serious as well, figure I better clarify that lol

Last edited:

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I'm never serous, unless we get into technical details the rest is for my entertainment. That's why I love MacRumors so much, every walk of life comes through here. Its pretty cool. Or if I'm giving post production advice, then I'm serious as well, figure I better clarify that lol

Well in that case I am glad I sensed the humor in your post! Good day to you, kind sir.

zedzded

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Perth, Australia
Not everyone who comes here is some whippersnapper going to the "club" get out of your fishbowl every once in a while.

How many people actually happen to casually carry around their DSLR unless they're a photographer? People are dumping their point n shoots in droves and using their smartphones as their primary camera, so I think they are justified in feeling aggrieved when their smartphone manufacturer produces a smartphone with a camera lacking certain features that are standard on a $99 P&S. And for Apple to be flogging their new phone with new features such as "panoramic mode" and "burst mode" - seriously? Phones had those modes 3 years ago...

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
The blown up (2X) iPhone app mode on non-retina iPads has never used retina graphics since iOS 3.2. It is only possible by a jailbreak tweak called RetinaPad.

I've spoken of anti-aliasing, NOT using Retina resources / assets. The two are different.

AA was supported before iOS5 by both iPads. Then, in iOS5, it was removed to boost the sales of the iPad3, which did AA.

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
Don't have high hopes. There is a huge chance 720p120 will have half the resolution because of the pixel binning - which saddled the 4S / 5 too (in 720p60).

Don't go by what someone says about using this on the 5. Remember that the 5S is a much more powerful system both graphically and computationally. J can hand,e many more pixels than the 5. We really need to wait until it comes out.

ShiftClick

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
Los Angeles
How many people actually happen to casually carry around their DSLR unless they're a photographer? People are dumping their point n shoots in droves and using their smartphones as their primary camera, so I think they are justified in feeling aggrieved when their smartphone manufacturer produces a smartphone with a camera lacking certain features that are standard on a $99 P&S. And for Apple to be flogging their new phone with new features such as "panoramic mode" and "burst mode" - seriously? Phones had those modes 3 years ago...

I realize the "whippersnappers" want to take a pic of every single stupid meal and every time they see their friends and post it to facebook, but a lot of us older folks have an idea when we want to take pictures, and when that happens we grab the DSLR. But sure, for the kids who have to catalog their ducklipped girlfriends twerking to justin beiber and put it up on instagram with cheesy filters to make it look like it was taken 30 years ago, congrats on this great new toy! I'll still gladly take my DSLR out when I know photo opportunities will occur, and if something is so amazing and I don't have my dslr I'll pull out my silly phone camera and snap the photo and wish I had a real camera.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I realize the "whippersnappers" want to take a pic of every single stupid meal and every time they see their friends and post it to facebook, but a lot of us older folks have an idea when we want to take pictures, and when that happens we grab the DSLR. But sure, for the kids who have to catalog their ducklipped girlfriends twerking to justin beiber and put it up on instagram with cheesy filters to make it look like it was taken 30 years ago, congrats on this great new toy! I'll still gladly take my DSLR out when I know photo opportunities will occur, and if something is so amazing and I don't have my dslr I'll pull out my silly phone camera and snap the photo and wish I had a real camera.

I get where you're coming from, despite a little bit of exaggeration. My wife, for example, - like many women, carries a purse. In her purse is her iPhone 5, and, also, her Sony RX100 MKII. Before that it was the RX100 MKI. The difference in picture quality isn't close, and the RX100 easily fits in a purse.

Personally, I shoot a 5DIII, but I won't go around saying I carry that in my pocket or anything.

As far as flash goes, honestly - Apple could tell me the flash shoots rainbows and unicorns, but I will NEVER, EVER use a direct-facing flash unless it's daylight (as shadow fill). I look at even these new shots with the dual-LED flash of the 5S and cringe, cringe, cringe.

When Apple has figured out a way for us to bounce flash with an iPhone, they may as well save the few bucks on my iPhone 5S and sell me one without the flash!

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
The high fps and slow motion video should be due to the enhancement of the CPU. I think the 5 and 5s use the same camera module. I wish I'm wrong.

Fortunately, you are wrong. As was carefully shown during the event; it's a different lens. A different chip. A different LED light. And no doubt, the image processing CPU which Apple has designed and improved several times also helps.

All cameras these days depend upon an imaging processing chip that's exclusive to the manufacturer. Without that, all images from even top pro DSLRs would look lousy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.