Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of the launch of the iPhone SE, there were questions about just how closely it would resemble the iPhone 5s, but as it turns out, the two devices are almost identical physically aside from the matte chamfered edges on the iPhone SE.

Rumors suggesting the two devices would be close enough in design to share cases were correct -- existing iPhone cases designed to fit an iPhone 5 or 5s will also fit an iPhone SE.

universalcaseiphonese-800x546.jpg

Product listings for iPhone 5 and 5s cases, screen protectors, and other accessories on Apple's online store have all been updated to note their compatibility with the iPhone 5, 5s, and SE. Customers who previously owned an iPhone 5s and are planning to purchase an iPhone SE will not likely need to purchase new cases for the device.

universalcaseiphonese2-800x567.jpg

The iPhone 5s has been discontinued in favor of the iPhone SE, and pricing on the new device starts at $399 for the 16GB model. Apple will begin accepting orders for the iPhone SE on Thursday, March 24, with an official launch coming on March 31.

Article Link: Existing iPhone 5 and 5s Cases Fit Apple's New iPhone SE

Luckey Boots

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2013
This is a real smart move by Apple. For once they've thought of existing customers and all the investment they've made in accessories over the years. Would have been very easy for them to sightly change the enclosure shape and force everyone to buy new accessories.

Having owned a 5S since it came out, I'm very pleased I'll be able to keep using my Mophie Space Pack and Lifeproof case if I upgrade to the SE.

This has probably got me over the line actually.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
This is a real smart move by Apple. For once they've thought of existing customers and all the investment they've made in accessories over the years. Would have been very easy for them to sightly change the enclosure shape and force everyone to buy new accessories.

Having owned a 5S since it came out, I'm very pleased I'll be able to keep using my Mophie Space Pack and Lifeproof case if I upgrade to the SE.

You mean... "a" case...

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014

It's called milking the cow...

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
This explains why 5/5s cases have been hard to find but not cheap the last few months. I thought I would want the SE, but I'd rather spend the extra money to just get the 6s or wait for the 7. My three year old iPhone 5 still works well enough to not need an internal-only upgrade.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

I must say I agree wholeheartedly. I'm surprised at people complaining that Apple didn't update the design. They didn't HAVE to! The 5S was already a gorgeous phone; they didn't need to change a thing other than updating the internals to bring it up to date.

I love my iPhone 6 and couldn't go back to a smaller phone, but for you and many others who like the smaller screen this must feel like Christmas. Well, you still have to pay for it, but you know what I mean. :)

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Cue the people complaining that the device won't feel "new" if their current accessories work with it, who are the same people who complained they couldn't use their old accessories with the lightning port on the 5.

Eh, whatever. I'm sure people understand what they're getting.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Nice job MacRumors on the click bait. They are physically identical of course the cases fit. Report on something meaningful please.

Reactions: AleXXXa

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I just finished watching the presentation. I'm sold on the SE; it's what I've wanted from Apple for years. I'm a happy puppy right now.

I also like the new small iPad Pro. This is going to be an expensive spring....

I LOVE the new iPad Pro but will still wait to buy 2nd gen. larger iPad Pro later this year. Think the bigger size is nicer for drawing.
[doublepost=1458638806][/doublepost]
Eh, whatever. I'm sure people understand what they're getting.

I'm not sure you understand what he actually meant.

YahonMaizosz

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
Well isn't this new??
Apple making old accessories not obsolete, so that they can still continue to sell their old iPhone 5s cases stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.