iPhone 5S Changes Highlighted in New Rear Shell Comparison Photos

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 14, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With the expected introduction of Apple's iPhone 5S now less than a month away, French site Nowhereelse.fr has shared some new photos [Google translation] of an alleged iPhone 5S rear shell. While the part has been seen a number of times in the past, the site has put together some overlays and iPhone 5 comparison photos to help provide an overview of some of the changes expected for the device.

[​IMG]
    One example shows an overlay of the iPhone 5S bare logic board, which has leaked several times in recent months. The part contains a number of repositioned screw holes compared to the iPhone 5 logic board, and overlay photos shows how these holes line up exactly with mounting points on the rear shell.

Also of interest is the home button region, as Apple has been reported to be incorporating a fingerprint sensor into the part, perhaps moving to a sapphire-covered convex design to help accommodate the sensor.

[​IMG]
    Nowhereelse.fr's comparison photos show how the metal spacer shield for the home button has changed from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 5S, with the previous nearly symmetric design moving to an asymmetric design with altered screw hole locations and an angled edge along one side.

The exact reason for the design changes on the spacer is unclear given a lack of other parts, but it seems reasonable to suspect that they may be related to accommodating the fingerprint sensor.

Apple's September 10 media event is expected to include the introduction of the iPhone 5S and perhaps the "iPhone 5C", a lower-cost model built around a plastic shell. Apple is also preparing to introduce new iPads in the coming months, although those are not expected to debut at this event.

Article Link: iPhone 5S Changes Highlighted in New Rear Shell Comparison Photos

2. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

Some of the best leaks i've seen on this one.

3. macrumors 65816

JaySoul

Redefining the phrase "also of interest".

4. macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I am still skeptical about the existence of the fingerprint sensor because (to my knowledge) there have not been any parts leaks. Am I missing something?

5. macrumors member

Leaked Parts

With a little bit more effort we could literally build the new iPhone with the given leaked parts. :D

6. macrumors regular

I'm trying to understand what a fingerprint scanner gives me over just a normal home button. If anything let's get rid the big round home button and reduce the bezzle/size of the phone.

Although really I'm in the "want a bigger screen" camp.

7. macrumors 6502

tbrand7

Well this made my morning!

----------

It will kill off passwords on iTunes and the App Store.

8. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

As we get closer to September 10th there are going to be more and more leaks. We'll know practically everything about the next iPhone by then. But you know Apple is going to keep the lid on a few things to surprise us with.

9. macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

As someone with an iPhone 4, I look forward to the new iPhone. Time for an upgrade.:)

10. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Silly season upon us indeed.

11. macrumors 6502a

Jayomat

not having to enter a PIN/Code whenever you unlock the device, which I think is pretty great

12. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Wait, Apple's releasing a new iPhone?!!

Not just that, but also phone unlocking, hopefully API's for 3rd party integration (looking at you 1password), and inevitably for payment (maybe not now, but within the next couple years).

13. macrumors 6502

5s changes

Wow, it looks so much like last years model since we cannot take the phone apart to see the guts anyway. This is very impressive flim flam. Introduce the 5S as new when in reality its so last year. Amazining.:(

14. macrumors regular

when should we sell our iPhone 5s :confused:

15. macrumors 65816

This is what I envision, and I am excited for it to happen!

Attached Files:

16. macrumors 65816

Is no one else wondering why this looks blue? :confused:

17. macrumors 68000

BJMRamage

They've had this style of every two year models being basically the same for a while now.

18. macrumors 65816

This changes everything... Again!

19. macrumors regular

I agree with you on this one. So much room on the bezel is wasted because of the big round home button. I've seen several of these break or fail over time. Just do a search for "Broken iPhone Home Button" in Google and you'll get pages of articles about faulty buttons.

Apple could make a capacitive home button and if they wanted to, include a screen print of the apple logo where it would be. It could light up when touched, similar to how the back and menu buttons do on the Galaxy S4 and Windows Phones. This would make having a larger screen on the iPhone easier.

20. macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

When they quit functioning as advertised.

21. macrumors 68020

Well this is the pic at the top of the original article.
    [​IMG]

The cropped MacRumors pics make it less obvious but in the orginals you can see that the photographer placed the bare parts against a blue background and the blue is showing through the cutouts.
    I guess they really like blue.

22. macrumors 65832

Tankmaze

all i'm hoping is bigger battery.
    which can't be seen in here, but i'm hopeful.

23. macrumors 65816

wish you had switched to Android a long time ago like you claimed you were going to so we wouldn't have to listen to your complaining.

24. macrumors member

Still no fingerprint sensor home button. This is getting a bit repetitive seeing the backplate over and over. We get it, there is some design changes. SHOW THE HOME BUTTON! I also would like to see more evidence of the rumored, "champagne" color besides volume buttons.

For those of you wondering about the blue background color, if you go to the original post on Nowhereelse, the backplate is set on a blue background.

25. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Are you new because the iPhones have historically taken on this pattern. The 3G and 3GS were the same cosmetically. The 4 and 4S as well. What makes anyone think the 5 and 5S won't share the same shell?