Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
No, I'm not kidding. I'll be surprised if this technology would create line-ups in front of Apple stores. Of course you'll have a lot of people stating that they want this, but I don't think that amount is not longer impressive. But time will tell, I'll make a picture of Amsterdam's Apple Store when the new iPhones will be there, see how big the line-ups will be.

Is that why the 4s sold more than the 4 on launch? I will be in line for the 5S on launch (picking up two to replace both of our 4's). The "s" model has always been the one with the manufacturing bugs ironed out with added features.

Shane1905

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
UK
With the rumoured fingerprint sensor and the increased protection against theft, maybe an NFC chip will finally sneak inside the 5S, totally secure payments with your bank card details stored on board your phone, could also be a way to differentiate the 5S from the 5C if that has no sensor or NFC...

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I'm not sure a fingersensor is such a great idea, although I see the benefits. The main problem is that a fingerprint is a unique and unchangeable identifier---in other words, should someone with nefarious intents 1) Hack your phone and get a copy of your fingerprint, you'll be screwed using this technology for life; 2) Whatever information you intend to secure behind the fingerprint, you could lose it all at once.

The fingerprint sensor might be useful as a second-layer, for those times when you're not at home/a relatively safe place. I'm sure if Apple applies this technology, they will have thought this through. Let's hope for the best. (I still have fingers crossed for IPhone+)

Hummm... If they steal your phone (that's step one) and then, hack your phone and "if" they get your fingerprint, vs. steal your phone and try common number passwords until it works, or... steal your phone and you have no protection and you're in.

I don't see the downside of the sensor in this scenario.. a lot of "if's" have to happen where today... some one steals my wallet and I'm screwed.

Just bring some reality on this.

juanmanas

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Hummm... If they steal your phone (that's step one) and then, hack your phone and "if" they get your fingerprint, vs. steal your phone and try common number passwords until it works, or... steal your phone and you have no protection and you're in.

I don't see the downside of the sensor in this scenario.. a lot of "if's" have to happen where today... some one steals my wallet and I'm screwed.

Just bring some reality on this.

If you lose your passport, for instance, you can still get a new one. But the old one will work in most cases (a bank does not test if that is a lost passport).

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Why is nobody mentioning the obvious NFC spiral antenna at the top middle of the picture? Has NFC already been previously confirmed?

Because that's not what it is.
It's tooling marks from the CNC machine.

----------

No hole for the camera, plus blue color.
5C back shell?

It's not blue.
And the camera hole is in the upper insert, not in the aluminum unibody, which is the only thing shown in these pics.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
I'm trying to understand what a fingerprint scanner gives me over just a normal home button.

Dunno what it gives you, but it will let me lock my iDevice such that the kids won't enter random access codes (thinking it a game) persuading it to lock up for hours on end in an attempt to block brute-force unauthorized access.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Why is nobody mentioning the obvious NFC spiral antenna at the top middle of the picture? Has NFC already been previously confirmed?

Where is a spiral antenna in the pic? If you're referring to the machining mark in the upper center of the back plate, it is not an antenna.

----------

I don't think we've seen any parts for 5 replacement (5S or 6) yet, that's the big surprise for Sept 10th. :)

If you own an iPhone 5, then you've seen the 5S. No real leaks because nothings really changing. The home button will be the biggest leak. And the leak will be coming within the next 2 weeks.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
I'm trying to understand what a fingerprint scanner gives me over just a normal home button. If anything let's get rid the big round home button and reduce the bezzle/size of the phone.

Although really I'm in the "want a bigger screen" camp.

Just another useless feature to "WOW" the crowd and make them believe it's revolutionary. ;)

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Yeah, like I posted before, hardly revolutionary.

----------

So it wasn't a mistake. You confirm your nonsense.

Can't help you there mate, what's hardly revolutionary isn't revolutionary. Simple as that.

Further more I do hope for better battery life, in fact there is much revolutionary to gain in that field. I'm hoping for some breakthrough at the end of 2013.

----------

Just another useless feature to "WOW" the crowd and make them believe it's revolutionary. ;)

That's my idea as well, but only stating that makes some people jump over in emotions. Wonder why because not revolutionary doesn't mean 'not great'. It's probably a nice feature but not really a revolutionary invention.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Am I the only one that dreads this time of year when all the blogs can cover nothing except every little nut and bolt of the new phone no matter how trivial.

How about some details on the Mac Pro or some great App, or the Kardashians, or anything that is actually interesting or useful!!!

Sorry, just really bored with it all already!

Kardashians interesting or useful? I would rather hear about the leaks.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
That's not the point. The attacker has one of your finger's prints. That's a huge issue.

is he going to frame you for murder or something? /sarcasm

I don't even know what actual information is going to be stored on Apple's end. What exactly are they going to get? How would they get my print in the first place? are they going to 3d print a new finger or something with that kind of detail?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I think most fingerprint scanners store an algorithm based off of your fingerprint rather than an actual scan of your fingerprint.

Last edited:

Bishope1999

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2010
Well this will all be great for the iphone until another smartphone manufacture decides to up the ante and include an iris scanner on their new smartphone :p..... But the fingerprint scanned is a "cool" feature that the iPhone will have. Don't see a downside to it if you still have the option to secure your iPhone with a password if you decide not to use this feature.

atlatnesiti

Suspended
Sep 4, 2008
Sydney, Australia
With a little bit more effort we could literally build the new iPhone with the given leaked parts. :D
It's already build and I have one. It is called iPhone 5. If you haven't seen one yet, go to apple.com.
I guess I wan't be spending my hard earn money this year.
Oh well, only 12 months to go for truly new and not recycled iPhone 6 ;)

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
What I like behind the idea for Apple TV set is that the poor chinese workers cant get out of the factory the huge LCD display or any components reveling the design or the size. It will be finnaly a suprise...whohooo

Anyone who wants to get the colorful cases, just go to any big chinesse warehouse webpage and order as much as you want.

taobao.com is one of them

T24FS_XkhbXXXXXXXX_!!12486138.jpg

THE FIRST IPHONE 5C SHIPPED TO MY HOUSE OMG

T2aH5tXjRcXXXXXXXX_!!688153018.jpg

Last edited:

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Omitted

The exact weight in metric of each bolt should have been included in this report plus the number of threads per bolt. I cannot understand why this was not included...was the total weight included? This is critical information!!!!!
Inquiring minds need to know this stuff and right away too.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, like I posted before, hardly revolutionary.

----------

No, I'm not kidding. I'll be surprised if this technology would create line-ups in front of Apple stores. Of course you'll have a lot of people stating that they want this, but I don't think that amount is not longer impressive. But time will tell, I'll make a picture of Amsterdam's Apple Store when the new iPhones will be there, see how big the line-ups will be.

I don't know if it will create line-ups or not but I know I will finally be buying one myself. Fingerprint authentication is something I actually consider useful and would definitely want to see unlike larger phone size that so many here moan about.
I have ipod touch 4 and I find its screen size perfect.
Having played with a number of large android phones they are definitely not for me. I want easy one handed operation.
I also played with iphone 5 and find it to be slightly too big as it does interfere with one-handed operation a bit.

That said I don't mind Apple introducing a separate bigger iphone version while keeping 5S the same size as 5. BTW, Android screen size statistic says that vast majority of people agree. Only 10% of android users use large screen phones.
http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I agree with you on this one. So much room on the bezel is wasted because of the big round home button. I've seen several of these break or fail over time. Just do a search for "Broken iPhone Home Button" in Google and you'll get pages of articles about faulty buttons.

Apple could make a capacitive home button and if they wanted to, include a screen print of the apple logo where it would be. It could light up when touched, similar to how the back and menu buttons do on the Galaxy S4 and Windows Phones. This would make having a larger screen on the iPhone easier.

Things break sometimes. It's a normal part of life. It's not like the button has an unusually high failure rate. Considering how often it's used, I'd much rather have a physical button than a virtual one.

mrjr101

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
Are you new because the iPhones have historically taken on this pattern. The 3G and 3GS were the same cosmetically. The 4 and 4S as well. What makes anyone think the 5 and 5S won't share the same shell?

Actually, except the screen size, there isn't much of a difference cosmetically between the 4 and the 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.