iPhone 5S could be very power efficient.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Jan 26, 2013.

1. macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I wonder if Apple will use big.LITTLE configuration in the next iPhone.

If they do, it could turn out to be very battery efficient, since the "LITTLE" core aka A7 uses very little power.

And Apple will most likely not opt for a quad core configuration but rather a dual core again: 2x A15 - x2 A7. This would potentially mean an easy full day battery, even two days maybe, while being faster.

2. macrumors 6502a

Don't forget the IGZO display which is much more power efficient than current displays too. This is the first time I'm hearing of a more efficient processor, but if that's true the next iPhone might really come with dramatically improved battery life...

3. macrumors 6502a

I expect the new iPhone 5S to be running an Intel Haswell processor.

4. macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Apple have never made any significant improvements to the real-life battery usage of their phones. Personally i'd prefer better battery life but Apple in all of their wisdom tend to keep it the same, prioritising keeping newer components energy efficient so they can make their phones smaller/or cram in new hardware features whilst keeping battery life ACCEPTABLE.

5. macrumors newbie

I expect the new iPhone 5S to be running an Intel Haswell processor.[​IMG]

6. macrumors member

7. macrumors 68020

Nice to see one person with 3 different screen names posting the exact same thing. :rolleyes:

8. macrumors 68000

Intel Core 2 Duo.

9. macrumors 65816

I hope for an IGZO display, a big.LITTLE(quad-core in the big one), and a huge battery life. One which makes even the Razr Maxx shudder.

Honestly, those are the things that would matter most. The rest should lie in software innovations

10. macrumors member

I think thats more due to the rate of advancement in battery technology not being able to keep up with Moores Law.

The basic chemistry of the batteries in todays iPhone is essentially the same as the first iPod's. There have been some advances in terms of miniaturization and cell configuration, but we are essentially in the same place - higher battery capacity requires bigger batteries.

There are a few innovations on the horizon that should radically change this, but not sure if they are ready for consumer adoption just yet. I'd bet its an area of intense interest for Apple though.

11. macrumors member

Only if they make the phone bigger to hold the bigger battery, which bigger is worse in apple's book

12. macrumors 65816

With rumors the iPad 5 is pushed back to October are they gonna release a radically updated processor on the iPhone first again?

Since it is likely to be an 's' model I see the processor being updated, but it's weird to me how that'll be twice in a row the iPhone has got the 'better' processor first!

Either way, expecting a big performance jump (again!) from this new iPhone!

13. macrumors 6502

You honestly think Apple wants devices that last forever? Then you can't upgrade and buy a new one.

14. macrumors member

with 51 hours of runtime i think it is a decent power backup for a phone of its capabilities

15. macrumors newbie

if they'd just figure out what it is about their Podcasts app that drains the battery on iOS 6, I'd by happy.

but then that's just 1 of a dozen things about that apps that needs to be fixed to make me happy.

16. macrumors 68000

Well i think that adding the IGZO display and the smaller more power efficient A7 chip from Apple will provide more room in the housing of the phone so I would say they could cram a 1700 mAh battery or so next time in the 5S for spectacular battery life lasting all day

17. thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

?

18. macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

19. macrumors member

The Intel Haswell processor, I expect the Iphone 5S to be running it.

20. macrumors 6502

I expect the Intell Haswell processor to be running iPhone 5S :D

21. macrumors 6502a

New iphone should be 12mm thick to accommodate a large 4000mah battery, a4 chip, 3.2" IGZO display and no LTE or 3G to conserve battery life.

22. macrumors 68000

Lol wtf

23. macrumors member

Firestrife

Can I buy pot from you? o_o

24. macrumors regular

rezzo

I expect the new iPhone 5S to be running an Intel Pentium III processor.

25. macrumors 6502a

Pakaku

I expect the new iPhone 5S to be running an Intel Xeon 12-core processor.