Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I'm really liking the 5s. I bought it on launch day and I continue to be surprised with how great of an upgrade it is from my 4S.

But I have noticed that it crashes sometimes. Like 5 times since Friday. Usually while using the camera, but it just happened in Safari. The phone locks up for a little while and becomes completely unresponsive. Eventually (after a minute or two), it will respring.

I assume this is just optimization that isn't quite there with iOS 7 and the new processor and that Apple will fix it up soon, I hope. I can try restoring, but I'd really rather not as I just did all of the setup procedure two days ago.

Anybody else seeing this?

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
Did you restore from backup or as "new"? If you did restore from backup, what iOS/iPhone was the backup first made on? (age of backup)

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Definitely strange. Haven't seen this on either of our phones.

There is an app that kind of locks up (though I can home button out of it). The app is "cardstar". Really the only issue I have come across yet.

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Did you restore from backup or as "new"? If you did restore from backup, what iOS/iPhone was the backup first made on? (age of backup)

I started completely from scratch, as I always do. Maybe I should restore.

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Something is wrong, I would try a restore. The 5s should feel like butter compared to the 5.

You don't think it's any problem with the hardware though, right? I assume it would be a software thing.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
I'm really liking the 5s. I bought it on launch day and I continue to be surprised with how great of an upgrade it is from my 4S.

But I have noticed that it crashes sometimes. Like 5 times since Friday. Usually while using the camera, but it just happened in Safari. The phone locks up for a little while and becomes completely unresponsive. Eventually (after a minute or two), it will respring.

I assume this is just optimization that isn't quite there with iOS 7 and the new processor and that Apple will fix it up soon, I hope. I can try restoring, but I'd really rather not as I just did all of the setup procedure two days ago.

I had the same thing happen to me. Once using livecams pro (home/power button completely unresponsive but app still was functional) the other while using the camera/photos app. ( It just jammed up eventually I had to force shutdown.)

Not sure why as I never had this problem with iOS 7 on my iphone 5, even the betas didn't do weird stuff like this, they'd just respring real fast.

I did a restore from i5 to i5s.

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I had the same thing happen to me. Once using livecams pro (home/power button completely unresponsive but app still was functional) the other while using the camera/photos app. ( It just jammed up eventually I had to force shutdown.)

Not sure why as I never had this problem with iOS 7 on my iphone 5, even the betas didn't do weird stuff like this, they'd just respring real fast.

I did a restore from i5 to i5s.

I'm gonna give restoring from scratch a shot. I'll let you know if that solves my problems.

It's too bad, because everything else about the phone is just so great. Hopefully a restore patches things up.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007

Go to General---->about---->Diagnostics & Usage--->Diagnostic &Usage data and review or post results- It will tell you where the fault is occurring

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
You don't think it's any problem with the hardware though, right? I assume it would be a software thing.

I think it's a software issue with the new hardware. I personally don't think your phone is defective hardware wise. I think the next minor update or two will fix the problems. I'm sure apple has a laundry list to fix things.

----------

I'm gonna give restoring from scratch a shot. I'll let you know if that solves my problems.

It's too bad, because everything else about the phone is just so great. Hopefully a restore patches things up.

Let me rephrase, I was a restore from i5 to i5s, the problems I had happened was after the restore. Sorry for the confusion.

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Go to General---->about---->Diagnostics & Usage--->Diagnostic &Usage data and review or post results- It will tell you where the fault is occurring

Thanks, I see a lot of different crash files and low memory warnings in there. More than 20, it looks like. Would you like me to post a screenshot of the list?

I'm not too skilled with reading this kind of stuff.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Thanks, I see a lot of different crash files and low memory warnings in there. More than 20, it looks like. Would you like me to post a screenshot of the list?

I'm not too skilled with reading this kind of stuff.

FWIW my crashes had low memory warnings as well. Might of had some memory intense apps loaded up,while doing slow motion videos, etc.

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
FWIW my crashes had low memory warnings as well. Might of had some memory intense apps loaded up,while doing slow motion videos, etc.

I was doing some slow motion video, too. I'm not too sure what to do right now. Everything else is working very well. I might restore though.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
I was doing some slow motion video, too. I'm not too sure what to do right now. Everything else is working very well. I might restore though.

The only thing I can think of is to close all your apps prior to recording slow motion videos.(time permitting)

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012

Make appointment with genius.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
The only thing I can think of is to close all your apps prior to recording slow motion videos.(time permitting)

No need to close other apps. Specs (in this case RAM) don't matter. Remember this mantra? ;)

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
No need to close other apps. Specs (in this case RAM) don't matter. Remember this mantra? ;)

Or maybe the apps haven't been Perfectly optimized quite yet, new hardware + new Operating System = bugs that need to be ironed out.

----------

I'm gonna give restoring a try. Hopefully that fixes things.

I hope it works out for you. Good Luck!

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Or maybe the apps haven't been Perfectly optimized quite yet, new hardware + new Operating System = bugs that need to be ironed out.

----------

I hope it works out for you. Good Luck!

I honestly think that is the case. There is a lot that is different in the 5s. New 64 bit architecture, new processor, new OS. Apple doesn't get enough credit.

I just finished my restore from scratch and hopefully all is better now.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Hmmm my settings app ocassionaly crashes... Used to happen on my iPhone 4 also but it was a great pain in the behind, doesn't bother me onthe 5 top much as it will relaunch so quickly.

Did you update to 7.01?

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Hmmm my settings app ocassionaly crashes... Used to happen on my iPhone 4 also but it was a great pain in the behind, doesn't bother me onthe 5 top much as it will relaunch so quickly.

Did you update to 7.01?

Yep, I went to 7.01 pretty much immediately after I bought the phone.

66gonzo

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
I've had a similar experience when using the "Numbers" app. If I keep one of the spreadsheets open when I return to the iphone home screen, then screen will go blank after about 5s and then reboot. I can only recreate it when using the number app and only when I keep a sheet open. If I exit from the sheet I was reviewing or working on, I have no issues.

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
Yep, I went to 7.01 pretty much immediately after I bought the phone.

Try to turn off notifications and location services you don't need. Turn off parallax, appbackground refresh and dynamic wallpaper for now.
Also turn off safari icloud data, mail if you don't use it. Also documents data over cellular, turn that off.
After all that, kill all apps and then restart your device.

When i turned my 5S for the first time and also when i updated my ipad 4 to iOS 7. I installed system status app and check the processor and memory usage. I was so suprised there was only like 100 mb left free. I did all steps above, now i have 500-600ish mb free consistently without any apps running in the background.
Maybe there are still some memory leaks on iOS 7 i'm not sure. And also idle processor usage is definitely higher and more jumpy on iOS 7, 2-4% on 7 while on my 5 with iOS 6 1-3% and 600-700 mb free memory.

YN36

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2011
Puerto Rico
Mine crashed 2 times while using airdrop. The first time the screen turned blue and then the apple logo came on. The second time just the apple logo came on. I'm thinking this are software issues, at least i hope they are. I feel like ios 7 is not optimized for the 5s. My friend's 5 is faster opening the multitasking screen and going to the homescreen from an app. I hope that this is fixed with ios 7.0.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.