Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
So iPhone 5s IS the iWatch. All the leaks about iwatch have been fitness related. The guy they hired from nike fuel, interest in health sensors.

I really was hoping for realtime glucose monitoring, heart rate, blood pressure, etc...

now i highly doubt it's gonna happen...

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
So iPhone 5s IS the iWatch. All the leaks about iwatch have been fitness related. The guy they hired from nike fuel, interest in health sensors.

I really was hoping for realtime glucose monitoring, heart rate, blood pressure, etc...

Don't lose hope, maybe next year it will be able to monitor central venous pressure and do blood gases ;) :D

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Yeah, because Apple started developing this two weeks ago...:rolleyes:

Well Samsung came out with their health and fitness features in January. Which is a while ago at this point. They probably made it happen after Samsung's release. Considering how underwhelming the phone is, it doesn't seem like they were working on too much after that lol.

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
The iWatch will probably do the health factors monitoring (blood pressure, etc.) and transmit same to M7 equipped iPhone, which will transmit times and performance data for display on the iWatch, while an analysis app combines it all to give an overall health status picture on the iPhone.

Anyway, that's what I'm hoping for!!!

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Who cares about NFC? **** NFC, it's a security concern, and bluetooth is just as good, and has more uses.

Then you obviously are ignorant regarding NFC (especially being extremely secure, research RFID, that so-called "safe" tech included in many major credit cards as "Blink"). Many countries and individuals make use of it daily, from purchasing to controlling devices. Research a little, you would realize you are extremely incorrect.

chilp

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2011

agree - the watch isn't happening. the hiring of people with health sensor experience is the only solid basis for any watch.

the only other is the patents for the term 'iWatch' - but that could just as easily be a TV.

LightningIceFox

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
Mobius
I say from an engineering standpoint this is a good idea. It removes time spent on the cpus and possibly higher "hardware based" timing on the actual chip components. This would result in faster apps, and lower power requirements.

I think of it as being similar to a DMA controller as far as benefits go.

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
This is as much to do with Siri in the car and their future indoor tracking technology as it has with fitness. They just aren't ready to talk about those yet.

It'll know when you are driving and have Siri simply speak to you rather than lighting up the screen and distracting you. It'll use the telemetry from this chip along with ibeacons and wifi triangulation to automatically map indoor spaces and help you find you friends or just get back to your car.

All the hate from no NFC is misplaced, in a plastic card it works fine for small payments. But apple wants to replace your credit card, keys, work pass and numerous other scenarios. That takes more than just sticking the chip and aerial into your phone, it takes partnerships.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I'm looking forward to a non-battery hogging cycling app. This is gonna be big for cyclists.

hegeman

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
My GS4 already has all of this.

But what it DOESN'T have is good battery life (considering the size of the battery). I upgraded from a GS3 to a Note II entirely for the larger battery, and it's annoying that even this freaking giant slab has to be charged sometimes to make it through the day.

So I seriously doubt that any Samsung phone has something like the M7. I've gotten used to the big screen of the Note II, but I SO wish Samsung would do the things Apple does to save power. Some guy on Apple Insider mentioned a chip that appears to do exactly what the M7 does. Maybe there are others as well (though I never heard of anything like this before). Anyway, Samsung and others can certainly do this if they want to.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
But what it DOESN'T have is good battery life (considering the size of the battery). I upgraded from a GS3 to a Note II entirely for the larger battery, and it's annoying that even this freaking giant slab has to be charged sometimes to make it through the day.

So I seriously doubt that any Samsung phone has something like the M7. I've gotten used to the big screen of the Note II, but I SO wish Samsung would do the things Apple does to save power. Some guy on Apple Insider mentioned a chip that appears to do exactly what the M7 does. Maybe there are others as well (though I never heard of anything like this before). Anyway, Samsung and others can certainly do this if they want to.

Battery life on my phone gets me through the day, but then again, I'm not jacking with it all day. Probably mid-morning, lunch, mid-afternoon is when I check stuff, and I listen to podcasts/music for much of the day. I will admit, an hour before I leave the office, I put it on the charger, and then that gets me through to the next morning.

I think Apple really missed the boat here. The lack of a 1080p screen and a bigger, proper ratio for a screen when all of your competitors are doing so is pretty bizarre. At least give it a 720p. It's no wonder they had to revamp the look of iOS 7 to draw the oohs and awws. Unfortunately, the icon designs are inconsistent and everything is much too colorful. A user chosen color scheme would have been nice to add.

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
Then you obviously are ignorant regarding NFC (especially being extremely secure, research RFID, that so-called "safe" tech included in many major credit cards as "Blink"). Many countries and individuals make use of it daily, from purchasing to controlling devices. Research a little, you would realize you are extremely incorrect.

No, NFC is a waste of time and energy, you want NFC? get a Faildroid.

ahsmartinc

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2014
HealthyWalk app is live!

This free app leverages the M7 motion sensor. Features include:
- Display daily/weekly walking history
- Display last 7 day chart
- Set up personal goals
- Progress reminder
- Stay up-to-date with news about walking healthy
- Use metrics or US Customary unit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.