iPhone 5S Production Rumored to Have Begun

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 5, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Japanese blog Mac Otakara reports (via AppleInsider) that Foxconn is ready to ramp up production on iPhone 5S and that it would be built on the same production lines that currently build the iPhone 5.

Mac Otakara is also reporting that Japan's number one cellular provider, NTT DoCoMo, which doesn't currently carry iPhones, is reducing orders for Android phones for the Fall 2013 season. This move has caused rival carriers to speculate that DoCoMo is preparing to carry the iPhone.

Earlier today, iMore's Rene Ritchie confirmed that iPhone 5S would likely arrive this summer in August. The iPhone 5 geared up production in the summer for a fall release, which would mean a spring production for a summer iPhone 5S makes sense. Previously, Jefferies analyst Peter Misek reported that the 5S would enter production in March.

The iPhone 5S  is reportedly going to have improved internals while having the outside shell unchanged, which matches the design for previous "S version" iPhones. It's also rumored to have a fingerprint sensor on the home button and improved flash for the rear camera.

Mac Otakara has been accurate in the past, like details on the redesigns of the iPod nano and iPod touch. They've also had some misses, however, like a rumor about how the iPod nano would include Wi-Fi capabilities to support iTunes in the Cloud.

Article Link: iPhone 5S Production Rumored to Have Begun

2. macrumors 601

goobot

I hope it has more than just an extra flash and finger scanner.

3. macrumors 6502

it's 1nm thinner. MIND-BLOWN.

4. macrumors 68020

Squilly

S is probably for Secure this time. I'm expecting that and NFC... that's all. And iOS 7 of course.

5. macrumors 65816

new software > new hardware

6. macrumors regular

Not sure what the value of the fingerprint scanner will be unless it is enforced on attempted firmware restores.

7. macrumors 6502

SamGabbay

Anyone else doubting a fingerprint scanner?

8. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

CPU will be pretty similar. Big change will be GPU.

9. macrumors member

So excited about this. Been waiting for snappier safari quite a while. :D

10. macrumors 68020

Reach9

So a finger print scanner, and improved flash? I really hope Apple would stop the "S" versions due to the Android devices (mainly Samsung) doing really well.
    I just hope to god that iOS 7 is worth it, because iOS 6 was an epic fail and felt more like iOS 5.3. Here's pulling for Jony Ive!

Keeping my 4S and waiting for the 6.

11. macrumors 6502a

Slix

What good is a fingerprint scanner if your fingers get chopped off? :confused:

;)

12. macrumors 65816

drew0020

Yawn... Maybe Apple can make the 5S dent and scratch free out of the box?

13. macrumors 603

troop231

If being thinner reduces the battery life, I'll pass on this 'S' model :)

Hopefully battery technology improves soon..

14. macrumors 6502a

"S" stands for headed to Samsung

15. macrumors G5

S stands for Suckers! :)

16. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Don't care. Bring on iOS7 with some Ive influence.

17. macrumors 6502a

S for scratched.

18. macrumors 6502

The 4S was a pretty good upgrade from the 4. Though it looked the same, just about everything that matters was new in it besides the screen (processor, more RAM, better mics, better BT, much better camera, etc). The thing is though, the iphone 4 was lagging noticeably which made upgrading more justified. Also, this was still during the time carriers were offering annual upgrades (at least AT&T was to main lines on family accounts).

With the iphone 5, I haven't noticed any lag. The 5S would have to be pretty compelling to want to upgrade but I'm not seeing it right now especially with no upgrade pricing for me.

19. macrumors 6502

Wishlist:

-- Back to 3.5 inch screen
    -- LTE-Advanced
    -- A6X Processor
    -- Retina Display
    -- 13+ MP camera.

20. macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Maybe S stands for "scuff-free" this time. :p

21. macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Option #1 granted: Buy a 4 or 4S

22. Guest

iOS 7 better be good but probably won't

Ive needs to carry the team

23. macrumors 6502

If this is real then i might say hello to the Nokia Lumina :mad:

24. macrumors 68020

jclardy

So I don't really care about a fingerprint scanner...but people might be missing the bigger picture here: a touch sensitive home button.

That means they can add new gestures, like touch & hold to bring up multitasking (rather than double click) and swiping on the home button to quickly switch apps.

Now that would be one thing that I would actually want on a new iPhone.

25. macrumors 68030

TallManNY

I'd love to see Apple get out more than just one phone a year. Maybe one of the issues is just getting the manufacturing process in place to handle the demand, so they can just do one phone. But still I'd like to see Apple keep around the 3.5" form factor and keep upgrading the internals. Heck, they could miniaturize the inside, keep the outside the same, and include a bigger battery. I'm sure it would sell. And the smaller screen form is getting abandoned by Android.

How about a 4SX next year that includes an updated processor but sticks with the beautiful glass body? Use stronger Gorilla Glass to make people more likely to go caseless.