Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonicpace

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Canada
Well, I for one am excited about the next release of the iPhone 5. The 5S should bring many improvements we've all been waiting for. The addition of a finger print scanner on the home button is a neat feature, although it's nothing to really get excited about. It's useful and makes sense, but I don't think it's a very compelling reason to upgrade on it's own.

A few things I would like to see:

-an improved anodized coating applied to their aluminium, so the finish doesn't scratch or mark as easily as it does now. This has been a major criticism since their re-design, so hopefully something will be done.
-a much needed overhaul to the user interface (iOS7). A cookie cutter update ain't gonna cut and I think Apple knows it
-Base iPhone starting at 32/64/128 instead of 16/32/64

If this happens, along with all of the other expected updates, it's very likely that I'll upgrade, seeing as how my cell phone contract is going to be up for renewal around this time.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Trololololo

----------

I never liked the "S" thing. "S" for what, "special"? "Sport"? Does it even stand for anything, or is it like putting "X" on something?

It's not trolling. It's called making a joke. Or are you going to quote everyone here who's making a joke and call them a troll too? ;)

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
LMAO!!! Another 4/4s release. So the s4 comes out in a month or so and Apple STILL has time to do something and they are seriously going to release a hyped iPhone 5.

APPLE IS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!

Giuly

macrumors 68040
It's also rumored to have a fingerprint sensor on the home button

Sure, and according to analyst Giuly from the Internets, it comes with a Mr. Fusion, which powers the iPhone by processing biodegradable waste, to compete with wireless charging. It replaces the power adapter, so buy y'all some bananas. And to adress any concerns that may arise, the peel, as well as the core of the banana, charge the iPhone equally well. It does not charge faster if you only use the core, nor does the Mr. Fusion produce 'better electricity' this way.

LMAO!!! Another 4/4s release. So the s4 comes out in a month or so and Apple STILL has time to do something and they are seriously going to release a hyped iPhone 5.

APPLE IS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!
Why don't you suggest "something" that Apple should do with that time? I haven't seen a Galaxy S4 yet, but I guess it's a S3 with upgraded internals and a new plastic shell to change the exterior looks of the phone. On the iPhone, we call that a case, of which there is a wide variety available.

Slightly better internals isn't a complete re design! HELLO!?
Frankly, according to the 'Form follows function' paradigm, it is though. Again, get a case if you want to change the external appearance of the iPhone. It's so slim that a case doesn't obtrudes anything.

Last edited:

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
We expect INNOVATION.

Not the same old crap "S" junk with a Better camera.
S

Slightly better internals isn't a complete re design! HELLO!?

So Apple is now supposed to completely redesign their phones from the ground up.... every 6 months?

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013

APPLE IS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!

They typically release a full update every 2 years, an "S" version every 2 years alternating so that it's one per year. Is this surprising?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
glad you're not working at apple

Indeed.

I'm not sure why people are so hung up on megapixels. It's relatively meaningless. Most people use their cameras for 4x6 prints or to share on the internet. 3mp is more than fine for that. It's about the size/quality of the imaging sensor. Not how many megapixels. Mostly marketing hype.

What's even funnier is that people want better cameras on their phone and we have some amazing tech (for sure) - and yet they use this new tech and then apply tons of crappy filters and/or degrade the image to make it look like it was taken with a toy/old camera anyway :confused:

Xytal

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Excited, since I'm an 'S' person. Went from Original iPhone to 3GS, then from the 3GS to a 4S. I'm looking forward to having a lightning connector on my phone and having the extra row of icons.

I am, like the rest of you, looking very forward to iOS 7, though I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed. Look at Android, it has mainly stayed the same over the past 5 years. The UI has changed a little, but there are still square sections to put apps and widgets into, there is still the app drawer. iOS isn't going to get a massive change, it is still going to have its 4x5 icons. I see things changing with quick reply's to text messages/e-mails, improved multitasking UI, quick options, improved Siri, etc.

People will probably still be mad, even with those changes, that iOS is bored and stale and doesn't change. Well, then you need to be bored with your dishwasher, silverware, etc. since those items haven't changed in quite a long time. Hell, you may want a complete redesign now, but then when Apple does change iOS everyone will throw a fit because its not iOS anymore; just look at what happened with Windows 8.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
People often confuse UI with OS

Meaning - people say the OS looks stale. No - they mean the UI looks stale.

In reference to your comment below. Android's OS has changed quite a bit over the last 5 years. A lot.

iOS has too.

Excited, since I'm an 'S' person. Went from Original iPhone to 3GS, then from the 3GS to a 4S. I'm looking forward to having a lightning connector on my phone and having the extra row of icons.

I am, like the rest of you, looking very forward to iOS 7, though I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed. Look at Android, it has mainly stayed the same over the past 5 years. The UI has changed a little, but there are still square sections to put apps and widgets into, there is still the app drawer. iOS isn't going to get a massive change, it is still going to have its 4x5 icons. I see things changing with quick reply's to text messages/e-mails, improved multitasking UI, quick options, improved Siri, etc.

People will probably still be mad, even with those changes, that iOS is bored and stale and doesn't change. Well, then you need to be bored with your dishwasher, silverware, etc. since those items haven't changed in quite a long time. Hell, you may want a complete redesign now, but then when Apple does change iOS everyone will throw a fit because its not iOS anymore; just look at what happened with Windows 8.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Macotakara is also reporting that Japan's number one cellular provider, NTT DoCoMo, which doesn't currently carry iPhones, is reducing orders for Android phones for the Fall 2013 season. This move has caused rival carriers to speculate that DoCoMo is preparing to carry the iPhone.

So Samsung and Google stocks should tank tomorrow right?

I mean if ANY carrier, even one in Antarctica, reduced their iPhone orders, the stock wold tank because the sky is falling....and Android would be declared king...

creeman

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
If this is true, then we should start seeing invites to an iOS 7 invite in march or April.

Xytal

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
People often confuse UI with OS

Meaning - people say the OS looks stale. No - they mean the UI looks stale.

In reference to your comment below. Android's OS has changed quite a bit over the last 5 years. A lot.

iOS has too.

Ultimately, that is what I was getting at, most people are complaining about the UI. But really, does a UI need to be changed regularly? People have issues when UIs get updated and it's not the update THEY want. Again, I present Windows 8 (I don't mind Windows 8, personally, using it right now, but the overall reaction).

Do not get me wrong, iOS and Android have changed a lot over the years, but the basic, core UI, is still the same. That hasn't changed. They've changed the look (Holo), they've added features, etc., but the core of the UI is still the same.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Ultimately, that is what I was getting at, most people are complaining about the UI. But really, does a UI need to be changed regularly? People have issues when UIs get updated and it's not the update THEY want. Again, I present Windows 8 (I don't mind Windows 8, personally, using it right now, but the overall reaction).

Do not get me wrong, iOS and Android have changed a lot over the years, but the basic, core UI, is still the same. That hasn't changed. They've changed the look (Holo), they've added features, etc., but the core of the UI is still the same.

Agreed. You only have to look at Microsoft's "ribbon" and Apple's FCP X to see how crazy it makes people when UI changes (a lot)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.