iPhone 5S Said to Feature Upgraded Rear Camera, iPad Mini Update Targeted for October

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 25, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following up on his report from earlier today about Apple's plans for the full-size iPad and iPhone, iLounge's Jeremy Horwitz has a new article sharing additional information on Apple's mobile device plans. The information comes from a "trusted source" and discloses product code names for the various devices as well as plans for an upgrade to the rear camera system for the iPhone 5S.
    The source indicates that the code name for the fifth-generation iPad is J72, while the second-generation iPad mini has a code name of J85.

[​IMG]
    The report indicates that the second-generation iPad mini is unlikely to appear until October of this year, roughly the same timeframe as for the next full-size iPad. Sources have scant information on the actual device, but suggest that it is likely to retain essentially the same form factor as the current model and add a Retina display. A move to a Retina display without increasing the physical size of the device would almost certainly necessitate a change in the display technology such as the adoption of new IGZO panels.

Some previous reports had indicated that the iPad and iPad mini could see updates as soon as March as part of an effort to accelerate the product development cycle, but iLounge's claims of an October launch are more in line with a recent report from frequently accurate KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Article Link: iPhone 5S Said to Feature Upgraded Rear Camera, iPad Mini Update Targeted for October

2. macrumors regular

jasonxneo

Well that was expected

3. Eso
    macrumors 68000

Eso

Ohhh, upgraded rear camera!

4. macrumors G5

Quadruple down on security there Tim! Double wasn't enough!

5. macrumors 65816

I find it hard to believe that we will have nothing new in March or April and Apple back ends everything in Sept and Oct with their 3 major products (iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini)

6. macrumors 68030

Boring OS = yawn. Look at Ubuntu, or even the new BB OS. They are so much more advanced...

iOS is too plain and boring.. heck my MOM uses it now.

7. macrumors 6502a

miniroll32

It doesn't matter how many megapixels the camera is - the sensor and lens are still tiny. Great for snaps out and about (and obviously social media), but I'm more concerned about things that actually affect userbility, such as screen glare and, cough, iOS.

8. macrumors member

O.M.G. must buy the same phone again just to get better rear facing camera...take my $$$ :apple:

9. macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Just make it so it doesn't bend into a "U" shape so easily.

10. macrumors 6502a

No quad-core upgrade? :confused: I doubt Apple would release a new model w/ only a rear camera upgrade.

11. macrumors 65816

Yawn. They better have more up their sleeves than a better camera. How about a 128meg version and different colors.

12. macrumors regular

stukick

Ya know, just today I was thinking, if Apple updated the rear camera on the iphone soon, then I'll upgrade to the iphone 5s instead of the samsung galaxy 2 in a few weeks. Now that's innovation.

And Apple wonders why their stock is in free-fall.

13. macrumors 601

Technarchy

I don't think for one minute that the camera will be the only difference.

However, for me iOS7 > hardware.

So what if Apple does a 1080P 4.5" phone. If the software doesn't make the most of the new hardware capabilities there is no point.

14. macrumors 68020

I agree, that's too long to wait while the Android Camp will be rolling out lots of new offerings in the coming months.

15. macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

they will make this one THINDER!!!

I am happy with my iPhone 5 so not upgrade for me until the next model ;)

16. macrumors 65816

Read. It says a processor bump. For all we know, that could be a quad core

17. macrumors member

Meh...I want a bigger iPhone not the biennial 'S' moniker, would argue that the iPhone 4s and 5 have plenty enough CPU/GFX power.

Adding pixels on tiny lenses, sensors = pointless.

18. macrumors newbie

Tell me again, which part is good news for investors that would like to see something in the First Quarter?

19. macrumors 65816

Agreed. 1080p is strictly unnecessary in phones. I have never once noticed or even heard about someone complaining about pixelation on the iPhone retina displays. Just think of the GPU power and the battery power it would waste.

20. macrumors member

No way the next iPhone has an upgraded camera. This rumor is too unbelievable.

21. macrumors newbie

Not enough for me to replace my Iphone 5. Cmon Apple blow us away, Galaxy S4 rumors are way better. :(

22. macrumors regular

What I want is some really good new features software-wise! Please Apple, please!

23. macrumors 65816

myrtlebee

What a disaster if we really know their plans 8 months out and on top of that the updates will be this dull. My excitement for Apple is waning.

24. macrumors 68020

Invitations for iOS 7 event in March/April . Presentation in May . iPhone with iOS 7 launch July

25. macrumors 65816

I guess it'll take 4K "super-HD" videos?