Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lerxt

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Wow Apple really sucks today. The 5s is really awful.

"This comment brought to you by Samsung - copy phones, in the Asian tradition"

----------

I noticed this also and this is actually been in place for a few years to try to stop the scalpers and reselling of the phones. In previous years, people would by several devices and sell them all at a much higher premium.

This was more prevalent in Hong Kong (where I currently live), where people from Mainland China would flock down, queue up outside the only Apple Store (at the time), which would create a HUGE line that ran down by the ferry pier, and each person would buy many phones just to bring back to China and sell at a giant premium.

They have now instituted a lottery system in Hong Kong that makes each person enter the lottery and if they draw your name you can come the next day (or on launch day in this case) and pick up the phone -- limited to 2 per person. Additionally, they make you have your Hong Kong ID Card (which they didn't do before).

I noticed that Hong Kong wasn't on the launch country list (which made many of my local Hong Kong friends VERY mad) but after looking at Apple's Hong Kong website, it still mentioned reservations to be made on the 17th for in-store pick-up on the 20th.

You do understand Hong Kong is in China?

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010

I hope so. He says he lives there. Although apparently locals consider HK it's own country?
It's government is completely separate from the rest of China. Maybe that's what he meant. But Apple doesn't care. If it said china I'm sure that includes HK.

ethanlee

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
California
vader_NOOOO.jpg

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
I can't believe they are allowing pre-orders for the cheapo 5C but not the 5S. WTF are they thinking ?

:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

mccltd

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
No pre orders for the 5S
Talk about discriminating the disabled who cant get there and stand for hours in a queue.

infinitech

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2012
lol.... *******.

I'm waiting in line. It's a dick move for sure but they know I love them enough to do it.

See you Monday bitches and tell me you're glad you didn't wait.

----------

This appalling nature is worse than what's happening in Syria! What can we do about this travesty?!

Agreed. First world problems. We should be lucky these are the biggest issues of our lives.

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
Its a sign Apple are going backwards. 64 bit with 1 gig of ram, what's the point? Does nothing, least need 3/4. Apple without Jobs is just not Apple. Don't get me wrong i use all apple products but they are way behind in the phone space. Battery and the screen is from the stone age.

Que all the fanboy deluded hate replies. I was once one of you but opened my eyes ;)

ekrueger24

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
London, UK
"This comment brought to you by Samsung - copy phones, in the Asian tradition"

----------

I do understand Hong Kong is a PART of China. I also know that Apple with the release of the iPhone 5 listed Hong Kong as a separate country. I've lived here long enough to also know that the political landscape of Hong Kong is to be as far apart from China as possible. That is also the thoughts and feelings of a large portion of the Hong Kong population.

Technically Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region of China and has their own government, currency, leader, etc. Even though China has some control over the country.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Stores will open at probably 9am based on their time zone but online sales that day have to start at one time for everyone. It's my guess it will be the typical midnight Cupertino time (3am EST).

chineseguy38

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Melbourne
Another stupid move

Apple hasn't learnt from the mistake launching iPad mini and iPad with Retina display at the same time and that killed the sales for iPad with Retina display. And now iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S together. It'll do the same for iPhone 5S.

When they launched iPhone 5, the queues all over the world were much shorter than the previous iPhone launches. Obviously, Apple is trying to make people queue up again for iPhone 5S without preordering option. Sorry guys, I'll give it a BIG MISS especially for a 64GB it's A$130 more expensive than iPhone 5 in Australia. It only costs less than A$900 to get that with T-Mobile in US and Australia we've to pay A$1129?! WTF! It's obvious Apple is ripping off Australia customers!!

Zandian

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2006
I've either taken off work or stayed up late to get each newest model of IPhone on launch day. Apple always found a way to provide enough new features to be worth jumping on the new model. They either provided a great new form factor or performance enhancements that actually made a difference. I find myself frustrated today. I've waited in anticipation for quite awhile and was really let down. I just can't find a way to justify outlaying another $400 this year for a new model where the only real useful new feature for me is that I can unlock it faster. If I could have conveniently preordered I may have been able to convince myself. But there is no way I will be wasting a vacation day to wait in a big line for this rather lackluster new model. Funny, the only thing I am looking forward to is a new slim leather case for my old 5-but I suppose that will be sold out for over a month too. The only solace I feel is that I can now save that $400 and put it to a better use-and I don't have to commit myself to another 2 years with AT&T.

Z

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I was gonna preorder, but I'll just order it on the 20th instead. At least I'll get one.

Chances are if you don't line up at a store early, or sit in waiting for the web page to go live on the 20th, you probably won't get one for weeks anyway.

What's worse, waiting 3 extra days for delivery or a few months for stock?

psymac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
No conspiracy here, just simply limited stock has Apple being unable to fulfill pre-orders for all these countries.

Ordering online I fear may be hit or miss, as with the iPhone 5, it may be sold out very very quickly. This took me several days of attempting to find stock at local Apple stores, with sell out often happening within seconds.

I think my strategy is to wait in line at my Apple store starting at about 10pm, and then check online at about 3am and see if I can order. If so, I'll be packing up my lawn chair and wait for delivery. Otherwise, I'll see the glare of TV cameras at 7am as the store opens with probably free Dunkin' Donuts and Dasani water.

Do expect the 'gold' version to be extremely limited in supply and be willing to go for white or silver.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Its a sign Apple are going backwards. 64 bit with 1 gig of ram, what's the point? Does nothing, least need 3/4. Apple without Jobs is just not Apple. Don't get me wrong i use all apple products but they are way behind in the phone space. Battery and the screen is from the stone age.

Que all the fanboy deluded hate replies. I was once one of you but opened my eyes ;)

When you opened them, was it extremely dark and tight?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
That's my guess. Again that was black friday, but typically preorders started at midnight (3am est). 3AM was when the store came back online for their black friday sales, so I assume it will be the same. IF NOT, they will lose a mass amount of sales judging by previous year preorders. 4S had 1 million preorders. 5 had 2 million preorders. I know I sure as hell won't be standing in line friday, and I know I'm not the only one. If they don't even have enough supplies to run a pre-order program, there is no way they will have enough for mass amounts of people on launch day. Meaning, people will be upset.

Agreed....unless the seriously increase the number of iPhone5S the stores have to sell, there are going to be a lot of upset customers.

Botts85

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2007
My biggest question is, will there be unlocked phones in store?

After having worked at ARS for the 3GS launch and 4 launch, I waited in line for 4S and 5, just for the experience, and as a get together with other past staff members. I had preordered phones both times but still waited in line.

Unlocked phones have always been available in Canada, but were not available in store on day 1 for the 3GS or 5. For the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S you could buy unlocked in store. I really hope that Apple makes up for the lack of preorders by having unlocked phones in store! For the iPhone 5, you could still preorder an unlocked phone in Canada, but not buy it in store on day one. This was presumably to limit phones being exported on the grey-market.

There is not a different SKU for unlocked phones. All phones in Canada are the same "part" family. The POS system locks the phone to the respective carrier when the sale is completed. If it is marked as sold outright for full retail, POS just leaves it unlocked.

I'm hoping we can get confirmation on unlocked phones available in store ASAP, as I want to offload my iPhone 5 ASAP, but don't want to be forced to use my iPhone 4 until Apple decides to sell unlocked iPhones on some future date.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Sounds like someone could make bucks offering an iPlace service, in which someone stands in line for those who have to have a 5S on the first day. So, what's a fair charge? $1000 a night? $2000? :D

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Not if they get backordered. That could push delivery out one month or more from launch date.

I don't like this not being able to preorder.

I don't like it one bit either.

Agreed....unless the seriously increase the number of iPhone5S the stores have to sell, there are going to be a lot of upset customers.

Apple is (hopefully) aware of the situation they are creating. They can be pretty sure the 5S is going to sell like crazy and can afford to have large stocks at stores. (Fingers crossed).

MacR5

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2007
Not a big deal.

I lived in San Francisco last year and bought a 5 at the Marina Apple store. Walked in to the store around 11am on launch day, waited maybe 20 minutes in line, walked out shortly thereafter with a new 5 for my wife and I. Easy.

I doubt the lines will be that horrendous for the 5s and if I was in the market I would simply do the same thing. I certainly wouldn't be going at 10pm the night before or 5am the morning of or using any vacation days.

mightygitis

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2011
Hampton Roads
This is totally the biggest First World Problem thread ever! LMAO.

Don't get me wrong, I was pissed at first. Just because I was revved up to preorder and had preordered previously and it was such a nice breeze. It always arrived the same day as the release with no muss or fuss.

Now we've decided to go be those crazy people in line at the local Apple store to try to get it. It should be fun right? Like midnight releases for a movie you've been waiting for. (Wait, you have a ticket and guaranteed seats for those so not quite)

I don't know what we will do should we get to the front of the line to find out the color/memory combo we wanted is sold out. I really HOPE that doesn't happen. We toyed around with the idea of staying up to 3 am EST and ordering online and waiting for it to ship. But if I'm going to lose sleep over it either way I might as well get it the same day.

Sad to take a vacation day for it, but I could use a nice three day weekend anyway. :rolleyes:

Botts85

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2007
I don't know what we will do should we get to the front of the line to find out the color/memory combo we wanted is sold out. I really HOPE that doesn't happen.

Sad to take a vacation day for it, but I could use a nice three day weekend anyway. :rolleyes:

Your fears won't happen if Apple follows the same method they've used since halfway through the 4 launch and the iPhone 4S launch. What the ARS staff will do is around 6 or 7 am walk the line and ask everyone what they want. They will give you up to 2 (two) iPhone tickets per person, you tell them what colour, size, and model, and they will ensure that they are in stock for you and give you a ticket listing exactly which phone you requested. You cannot change your mind once you get your ticket(s). The Apple Store only has as many tickets as they have phones in stock + some for contingencies. Ergo, by 8am you will know whether or not there is a phone(s) available for you.

My key issue is that unlocked phones should be available in store, as on the iPhone 5 launch they were online only.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
It was just a rumor, that's what happened. There are too many people taking the rumors as absolute facts.

Most of the spec we got for the new iPhone was correct so the end release for some was underwhelming. Thus the stock price going down. But it won't stop me upgrading this time, my 3Gs is getting old.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Do you guys think arriving around 10:00 PM on Thursday night to an Apple or AT&T store would be sufficient? I can't make it there any earlier.

Last year after I got off work at 6:30 I went straight to the Apple store and picked up the 5. I heard the lines were 8 hours during the day, but thought I would just give it a shot and couldn't be easier. This was at the Town Square store in Las Vegas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.