Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, we shared a video and some photos from Feld & Volk [Instagram page] apparently showing a 4.7-inch iPhone 6 built from parts actually booting to the "Connect to iTunes" recovery mode screen.

A Tweet today from developer Steven Troughton-Smith points out that the graphics shown on the display during this booting process "*seem* to confirm" John Gruber's arguments in favor of the device being equipped with a 1334 x 750 display at the same 326 pixels per inch density of previous Retina displays. More specifically, the evidence points toward an approximately 667 x 375 point display, which would presumably arrive in the form of a 2x Retina display at 1334 x 750 as Gruber suggests.

Sparked by Troughton-Smith's observation, we have independently examined photos of the booting device provided to us by Feld & Volk and come to the same conclusion.

iphone_6_5s_booting.jpg
iPhone 6 (left) and iPhone 5s (right) shown booting to recovery mode. Letterboxing on iPhone 6 visible below Lightning cable.
The method relies on the fact that the "Connect to iTunes" image does not completely fill the display on the iPhone 6, with the Lightning cable ending above the bottom edge of the screen whereas on current iPhones it extends all the way to the edge. Assuming this "letterboxing" is due to the image not being optimized for the larger iPhone 6 display, it would correspond to the image filling an area equivalent to a 4-inch screen centered on the device's 4.7-inch display.

This would account for the margin of black seen between the cable and the bottom of the display, and measuring the ratio of the space (plus a presumed equal one at the top) to the overall display size should yield an approximation of how much larger the viewable area is in points on the iPhone 6.

4.7-inch iPhone 6 display showing apparent letterboxed areas (red) with image optimized for 4-inch display (blue)
(Click for larger)
By our calculations, the border areas not covered by the image together suggest that the iPhone 6 display carries approximately 17.5% more points in the vertical dimension than a current 4-inch display. This would move the current 568-point height of the iPhone 6 (1136 pixels at 2x Retina) to 667 points (1334 pixels assuming 2x Retina) on the iPhone 6.

Assuming the aspect ratio of the screen remains the same as in the iPhone 5s, which by all indications it does, this would mean a 667 x 375 point (1334 x 750 pixels Retina) display for the iPhone 6. Performing the calculation in the horizontal dimension is more difficult due to nature of the recovery mode image, with no portion of the visible graphics extending to the side edge of the overall image to determine how much letterboxing space is on the sides.

Some observers have questioned the legitimacy of the video given the unfamiliar gear icon at initial startup and the blue iTunes logo that does not match the new red logo used on iOS 8, but Troughton-Smith notes the device is likely simply running Apple's BurnIn tool rather than full iOS 7 or 8.

This analysis obviously addresses only the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 that Feld & Volk has acquired parts for. Gruber suggests the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 will likely contain a 2208 x 1242 display at a sharper 3x factor than the current 2x Retina. As pointed out by developer James Thomson and 9to5Mac, the current iOS 8 beta is indeed showing some behavior indicating a preference for displaying 3x images when available.

Article Link: 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Built From Parts Supports Theory of 1334 x 750 Display

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
This iPhone could have never ending battery life, a nuclear generator as a SoC... I don't care.

With 1 GB of RAM, we know people will be getting screwed when they buy one. To a lesser extent, it already happened with iPad Air, mini retina and even the 5s. What a bummer, if true.

Since the a7 is already limited by the 1 GB of Ram, they might as well use it on the next devices too.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Looks like there is less bezel at the sides too judging by that pic.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I think I'll be able to GIVE the keynote on the 9th at this rate!

That made me laugh because its true.

Most people forget that the general public has no idea about this and so on Sept 9 (just like every year) their are going to be so many post on MacRumors Forums of people disappointed by the announcement saying "we already knew that" and "is that it?" and the classic "Apple is doomed"
72ac5424e8e2a2b3d2f220ea01c98f6322cff1c34576c54f6c543115720d6985.jpg

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I'm listening to Gruber's podcast right now (published yesterday). The first 30 minutes are all about this topic and why it makes sense for Apple to do it this way, especially given the sessions at WWDC about apps that adapt based on the device screen resolution.

He mentioned somewhat shyly at the beginning that he wasn't completely guessing and that he's talked with some people that claim to have handled the device.

Markiie

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Los Angeles, California.
This iPhone could have never ending battery life, a nuclear generator as a SoC... I don't care.

With 1 GB of RAM, we know people will be getting screwed when they buy one. To a lesser extent, it already happened with iPad Air, mini retina and even the 5s. What a bummer, if true.

Since the a7 is already limited by the 1 GB of Ram, they might as well use it on the next devices too.

Well, it didn't take to long on this thread before this was mentioned. lol

Not surprised Gruber will get this right. He was spot on with the iPhone 5 display changes.

Let's hope he's right about the 5.5 too.

Unless, of course, the iWatch is real... It's surprising how well it's been under wraps...

Nothing ever came out about the iPad.

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
The display's black contrast on iPhone 6 sucks. I hope it's just because of how the photo was taken :-/

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Looks like there is less bezel at the sides too judging by that pic.

I'm not sure how willing Apple will be to lose the symmetry, but it may be time to start researching ways to lose the bezel at the top of the device in iPhone 7 and beyond. In comparison with Galaxy devices and Sharp's Aquos Crystal, the iPhone is starting to look a little unwieldy with those larger top and bottom bezels.

Admittedly, I'm not sure what you do with TouchID/Home Button if you look to reduce the bottom bezel.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I think at such a pathetic resolution 1gb ram will be enough for the 4.7. :D

But, will the 5.5 have a higher resolution? If so, will it have 2gb of ram?

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
a barely better than 720p screen, 1GB ram, crappy battery capacity - wow, I thought these leaks are for a windows mobile phone!

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
If this is consumer ready, the back light on the 4.7 looks pretty ****ing ****.

It's not. It wasn't build by Apple but by Feld&Volk.

OT I was hoping for more than 326 ppi �� but as Gruber pointed out, there aren't any real different options. We probably have to wait for the 4.7 iPhone 7 with 2x 1334x750.

Last edited:

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I don't understand what this means. Is he saying that the 4.7 inch will have twice the pixel density of the iPhone 5s or not?

"Equipped with a 1334 x 750 display at the same 326 pixels per inch density of previous Retina displays."

The same 326 pixels per inch as previous models!

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I think I'll be able to GIVE the keynote on the 9th at this rate!

reading macrumours around this time is like tearing open a corner of your christmas presents to see what your getting and then crying on christmas day because theres no magic feeling inside

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
He mentioned somewhat shyly at the beginning that he wasn't completely guessing and that he's talked with some people that claim to have handled the device.

I’ve said this in the past: regardless if what Gruber says about not having “inside information”, many times when he writes about very specific details/specifications, it’s not based solely on his own theories.

Hoping the 5.5” with the 2208x1242 display is real too :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.