Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that opening weekend sales of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus topped ten million units, breaking the previous record of nine million units set by the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c last year.

iphone_6_iphone_6_plus.png
"Sales for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus exceeded our expectations for the launch weekend, and we couldn't be happier," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "We would like to thank all of our customers for making this our best launch ever, shattering all previous sell-through records by a large margin.
As with previous years, the company also claims that demand for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus has been very high, as more orders will be fulfilled over the coming weeks. Apple announced last Monday that it processed four million first-day pre-orders on September 12.

Currently, shipping estimates for new iPhone 6 orders remains at 7-10 business days, while the iPhone 6 Plus is still showing a shipping delay of 3-4 weeks. The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will also be available in 20 more countries including Austria, Belgium, Finland, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, and more on September 26.

Article Link: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus Sales Top Ten Million in Launch Weekend

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not surprising given the lines at the apple stores and the fact they sold 4 million on preorders

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
That is a lot of virtual Apple wallets out there now!

Took a look at them at a local Apple store. They look so much better in person and the 6 Plus looks a lot smaller than I was expecting. Very nice, if they keep the design for next year I know which one I will get. Still on my 5S on contract, I know a lot of people get a new one each year but I am still happy with my puny phone :)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Not bad. The pre-orders more than offset not having sales in China.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Good job, Apple! I predicted 10 million after I heard they did 4 million preorders!

Seandroid

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Canada
What! Wow!

We're also forgetting - the iPhone 5s and 5c launched in China. The iPhone 6 and 6+ haven't even arrived there yet! Wow!

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Impossibly incredible sales numbers. And they totally deserve this success, these are the best smartphones I have EVER used.

This is pretty much what it comes down to. I prefer quality and aesthetics over something I need to constantly tinker with.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
10 M in 3 days -> 1.22 B in a year? Obviously that won't really happen, but can we project, just from the first three days, about how many they'll sell before the launch of the next one based on previous years?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
As usual, I think this is limited by supply and not customer demand.

Oh, so you don't think they're counting all the orders that people are placing but haven't received yet? Or do you think people are not ordering just because of the long wait time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.