Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
So I got a iPhone 6+, and wanted to make a video while driving, using a TomTom GPS pad and a Otti style mount.

The problem is that the picture is very shaky/jumpy, it looks as if the issue here is the image stabilization picking up the cars vibrations.

On both of this videos I had the focus locked, so it was not trying to focus.

http://youtu.be/aQ5VOTLTH8U

http://youtu.be/HgXXj9KjiFI

So, is this a faulty phone, or just the way the camera works?

(Sorry, could not get the videos to show on this page)

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
6+ naturally shakes more on a mount because it's bigger with the weight distributed over a larger/longer area. To reduce shaking, you would need a sturdier mount.

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
6+ naturally shakes more on a mount because it's bigger with the weight distributed over a larger/longer area. To reduce shaking, you would need a sturdier mount.

The way it is mounted, the phone rests on the gel pad
102rrjl.jpg

Big Dawg 23

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Minnesota
Hold it and shoot video to see if it continues. I shot a video with my 6 Plus while riding in the passenger shoot. My video looks nothing like that.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
That mount doesn't help with dashboard vibrations, so your phone will shake either way. Mount it on top part of the windshield.

But what's the purpose of using a phone as a dash cam? It will lack in necessary features as dedicated dash cams have (parking mode, loop recording, event recording). Just spend $100-200 on a dedicated dash cam, install it and forget about it.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
That mount doesn't help with dashboard vibrations, so your phone will shake either way. Mount it on top part of the windshield.

But what's the purpose of using a phone as a dash cam? It will lack in necessary features as dedicated dash cams have (parking mode, loop recording, event recording). Just spend $100-200 on a dedicated dash cam, install it and forget about it.

Good point about mounting on the windshield.

I don't know if the OP is using one, but there are apps that have a lot of the recording feature you mentioned -- loop recording, event recording, etc. A dedicated dash cam is still probably the way to go, though.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010

I disagree.

iSymDVR 2 - Car Video Recorder + Maps by AlexCrimean
https://appsto.re/us/NfcMU.i

-------

And as for the vibration, if the iPhone is possibly resting (touching) on the car dash add something soft or rubber like under the mount/phone to reduce vibration.

And I too with my iPhone 6 plus have the same vibration in my video, soft foam help reduce it but its still there.

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
I will give try recording while holding it and see if there is a difference, however, like I said before, I have been able to record with my previous phones while driving, and never had a problem.

And just to be clear, I'm not wanting to record all the time, only every now and then on specific occasions, so I'm not looking to use my phone as a full time dash mount camera.

I will also move the mount to the windshield and se how that goes, but there are many times when I want to record while driving, and holding the phone is not the best thing to do.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
This is just a long shot theory, but light weight of the iPhone 6 is might be the reason why it shakes and your previous phones didn't shake. Again, just a theory because OIS will only help with small hand shaking, not car movements and potholes.

And make sure you put it on top portion of the windshield, that's the area with less vibrations.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yep it looks like an image stabilization issue due to the vehicle movement. You previous iPhones did not have this feature. Maybe one day Aplle will let us turn this off if we wish.

powerhawk5000

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2015
So I just wanted to confirm that this issue still persists in the 6s Plus, as it did with my 6 Plus. Horrible vibration in any kind of mount, whether braced or not, windshield or dash mounted. Damn OIS! My iPhone 4S had no issues recording stable footage when braced.

powerhawk5000

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2015
Guess I have to buy a GoPro to have a decent dash cam. Shame because the camera in the 6s+ is quite good except when subjected to vibration.

powerhawk5000

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2015
There are also issues staying focused when night driving regardless of whether the screen is tapped to focus on a certain part or not.

powerhawk5000

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2015
Yep it looks like an image stabilization issue due to the vehicle movement. You previous iPhones did not have this feature. Maybe one day Aplle will let us turn this off if we wish.

Adressing this post, the 6 plus did not activate the OIS system during video, the 6s+ does. It is the presense of the OIS movable element itself.

Vwboy

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2017
Australia
So, I did some testing yesterday, here are a some videos:

6+ mounted on windshield

6+ handheld

5s on dash using the same mount I was using with the 6+

I would appreciate it if someone with the 6+ could make a clip while having their phone mounted to the dash to compare (as long as it is safe to do so).
Mine does the same and is useless as dash cam. It is software stabilised not lens stabilised. Went from a Galaxy note 5 that was great as a dash cam. To the guys suggesting get a dedicated dash cam why should we spend more money when Samsung can do it properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.