Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DitMoLoGiC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2017
A few days ago, my iphone 6, while charging, suddenly shut down. As in, the screen just shut off, no shutdown animation (ie. turning thingy) whatsoever. The iphone was about 99% charged when it happened.

What I tried so far is:
- hold down sleep/wake and home button for some time, while charging
- connect to mac, nothing happens, iphone is not even recognized by USB port, let alone iTunes.
- let it charge some more (nothing happens, phone even stays stone cold)
- try to get into DFU mode: not working

I fear the worst, could it be some kind of short circuit? There is no immediate damage what could have caused this to happen. Also, the liquid contact indicator in the sim tray is not red (ie. positive).

I'll be going to the Apple store next week, but maybe some of you could also help me.

Rosypeter

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2016
To resolve this issue, you may reach any Apple iPhone Service Center in Chennai.

wezzel98765

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2017
If no chance of liquid damage, I'm almost certain it will require a replacement battery for this to be repaired.

Issue is, Apple won't just replace the battery, they will try to con you in to purchasing a replacement refurb handset!

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
If no chance of liquid damage, I'm almost certain it will require a replacement battery for this to be repaired.

Issue is, Apple won't just replace the battery, they will try to con you in to purchasing a replacement refurb handset!
It's probably not the battery considering the problems the phone is having. More likely the logic board has died when the phone won't do anything even when plugged in.

wezzel98765

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2017
It's probably not the battery considering the problems the phone is having. More likely the logic board has died when the phone won't do anything even when plugged in.
We have replaced batteries on phones with the exact same symptoms and this has been the solution. The other option is the charging port, or U2 Tristar chip. Although the fact it switched off at high percentage and then won't turn on is why I've suggested battery, as I've said, we've had phones in with same issues which have been rectified with new battery

Reactions: Matthew.H

ltexasn

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2016
San Antonio
I have been having trouble with charging of my iPhone6. I close all programs running in the background...and place on a charger. Get to 100% with no problems. The problem I have (has happened several times) is last week I went to a doctors appointment. When I went inside the office I was at 98% battery life. Using the doctors office WiFi I opened up Facebook and went to "Check In". The phone immediately dropped to 27%....I started getting warning that I was to low and did I want to go in low charge mode. Before I could take action it shut down. When I was done with the appointment I went out to the car...plugged the phone into a charger and went immediately to 77%. I never leave the house without a fully charged phone.....but I keep experiencing this problem. Went to AT&T where I bought phone and is my carrier....there reply "it's not your battery.....we have not had a single issue with battery on iPhone 6.

wezzel98765

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2017
I have been having trouble with charging of my iPhone6. I close all programs running in the background...and place on a charger. Get to 100% with no problems. The problem I have (has happened several times) is last week I went to a doctors appointment. When I went inside the office I was at 98% battery life. Using the doctors office WiFi I opened up Facebook and went to "Check In". The phone immediately dropped to 27%....I started getting warning that I was to low and did I want to go in low charge mode. Before I could take action it shut down. When I was done with the appointment I went out to the car...plugged the phone into a charger and went immediately to 77%. I never leave the house without a fully charged phone.....but I keep experiencing this problem. Went to AT&T where I bought phone and is my carrier....there reply "it's not your battery.....we have not had a single issue with battery on iPhone 6.
This is the battery

We are now stocking plenty of iPhone 6 batteries as they're now "at that age" that we have been seeing lots of them with these issues. It's just general wear and tear

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.