Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hollybo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
Hi
My daughter disabled her iPhone 6. This was 4 days ago. I have been trying everything for 4 days to download photos as not backed up and she has been crying over the loss of them, have her prom photos etc on phone. I have now managed to work the phone so that it can receive calls, but that is it. Does anyone know how I may get from an ongoing phone call to icloud to back up photos or enable phone somehow whilst call is ongoing, as phone is working then?????? Also can see notifications when call finishes.
Help would be much appreciated.
Holly

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
So iPhone is disabled and you are required to use iTunes to restore right?

hollybo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
Yes, iPhone is disabled and I am required to used iTunes for reset
[doublepost=1470386758][/doublepost]The phone doesn't ring unless I do certain procedure and then rings and we can talk on phone as normal.
[doublepost=1470386872][/doublepost]The phone is locked.but by doing certain procedure we can answer calls and talk on the phone. Have call at moment, been on phone for 47 mins
[doublepost=1470387341][/doublepost]
Even a locked phone will ring if it receives a call. That does not change the fact that the phone sounds like it is locked.
phone is locked but can receive calls and talk been on phone talking now for 55 mins

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yes, iPhone is disabled and I am required to used iTunes for reset
[doublepost=1470386758][/doublepost]The phone doesn't ring unless I do certain procedure and then rings and we can talk on phone as normal.
[doublepost=1470386872][/doublepost]The phone is locked.but by doing certain procedure we can answer calls and talk on the phone. Have call at moment, been on phone for 47 mins
[doublepost=1470387341][/doublepost]
phone is locked but can receive calls and talk been on phone talking now for 55 mins

It will STILL not get you into the locked phone to copy what you want.

What did your daughter do to lock up the iPhone?

hollybo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
Not too long ago I am sure you read about the FBI trying to get past a pass code for a terrorist. It took a professional hacker to do it, likely at great cost.
O.k. So no chance of getting into the phone. She is signed into icloud on her ipod with same icloud account if we backup would it back up phone data as well???

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
O.k. So no chance of getting into the phone. She is signed into icloud on her ipod with same icloud account if we backup would it back up phone data as well???

Then her iPod might have some data on it. If she has not ever backed up all she has is what is on the iPod. Not much is going to help with her phone, you could sell it for $50 maybe for parts.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes.
But they tried many many times the wrong passcode and it eventually locked them out for good.
It starts with giving you a time out until you go too far with wrong attempts ;)
They must have done it over a period of days or so to get to that point (on top of probably the delete data after 10 tries option not being enabled).

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
They must have done it over a period of days or so to get to that point (on top of probably the delete data after 10 tries option not being enabled).

This is how Apple has it preset. Even if you don't have the erase data option enabled it still locks it after many wrong attempts.

• 1-5 incorrect passcode attempts: No problem.
  • 6 incorrect attempts: iPhone disabled for 1 minute.
  • 7 incorrect attempts: iPhone disabled for 5 minutes.
  • 8 incorrect attempts: iPhone disabled for 15 minutes.
  • 9 incorrect attempts: iPhone disabled for 60 minutes.
  • 10 incorrect attempts: “iPhone is disabled. Connect to iTunes” or iPhone is completely erased if Erase Data is turned on in Settings -> Touch ID & Passcode (or Settings -> Passcode for iPhones without Touch ID).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is how Apple has it preset. Even if you don't have the erase data option enabled it still locks it after many wrong attempts.

• 1-5 incorrect passcode attempts: No problem.
  • 6 incorrect attempts: iPhone disabled for 1 minute.
  • 7 incorrect attempts: iPhone disabled for 5 minutes.
  • 8 incorrect attempts: iPhone disabled for 15 minutes.
  • 9 incorrect attempts: iPhone disabled for 60 minutes.
  • 10 incorrect attempts: “iPhone is disabled. Connect to iTunes” or iPhone is completely erased if Erase Data is turned on in Settings -> Touch ID & Passcode (or Settings -> Passcode for iPhones without Touch ID).
I thought I've seen it come up that there is a 24 hour period for it getting disabled as well. Perhaps that was some time ago or in relation to something else.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I thought I've seen it come up that there is a 24 hour period for it getting disabled as well. Perhaps that was some time ago or in relation to something else.

Not 100% but I do have a hack called "disabled" installed on my devices just incase my kids or anyone puts the wrong passcode too many times then I'm stuck having to restore.

hollybo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
Then her iPod might have some data on it. If she has not ever backed up all she has is what is on the iPod. Not much is going to help with her phone, you could sell it for $50 maybe for parts.
[doublepost=1472742185][/doublepost]Thought that I would share the outcome of my daughters phone. So couldn't getting phone and never backed up anything to icloud or iTunes including hundreds of photos and videos. But I managed to get all of the photos and videos and everything off the phone by going on her ipad which was signed into icloud with the same address and then turned on share to all devices, or something like that, I then backed up to icloud and voila, all her data and photos shared to the ipad. Was a huge relief as had some really special photos on there. after that just did a reset on phone and all data Los, but once reset icloud put it all back on the phone. So nothing lost at all.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
[doublepost=1472742185][/doublepost]Thought that I would share the outcome of my daughters phone. So couldn't getting phone and never backed up anything to icloud or iTunes including hundreds of photos and videos. But I managed to get all of the photos and videos and everything off the phone by going on her ipad which was signed into icloud with the same address and then turned on share to all devices, or something like that, I then backed up to icloud and voila, all her data and photos shared to the ipad. Was a huge relief as had some really special photos on there. after that just did a reset on phone and all data Los, but once reset icloud put it all back on the phone. So nothing lost at all.

Very glad to hear. Tell her she is very lucky!

Reactions: blipper

Tam-f

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
Heyy, I got the same problem and there is university work in my phone that hasn't been backed up :( Can you please tell me how exactly you did that I would really appreciate it as im stressing out soooo much right now. Hope you will se that

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
You've revived a post which hasn't been active since September of 2016, the OP of this post hasn't posted here since then either.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.