Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I've turned mine off. It has been more annoying than helpful for me.

It is interesting how different people's experiences are. I love touch ID and it works wonderfully for me.

I also hear the same thing with Find My Friends. It's one of the most used and most useful features on the phone for me, but I have heard plenty of people say it is the most useless feature.

To each his own.:)

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
There's two basic reasons why cold might have this effect:
  1. Lower temperatures means decreased blood flow to the extremities, which changes the capacitance of your finger tips, and thus your finger print.
  2. You're wearing gloves. :eek: :D
One of them is easy to solve. :p

It works fine in cold weather for me.

May be if the temperature change is too great between setting up your fingerprint and using it ? If so, just register 2 prints ! 1 for warm weather and 1 for cold.

It works fine for me so far.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I didn't associate the cold with my Touch ID not working so well -- glad you said that, it makes sense that I've had some issues when using it outside. I hope it is improved as well.
It helps a lot if you remove the gloves :D

well i do not know how cold you have had problem with it but so far i not had any problems at 0C temperatures hav not dropped lover yet

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Hopefully it will make its way to the iPad 6, that's why I didn't buy an Air.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
The report claims that TSMC will be shifting to a larger 12-inch fab from the current 8-inch fab, a move that should increase production efficiency.

Obviously this is to include ipad but, could it be for a larger iphone?

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Lets just get rid of the home button all together and make the display larger.

Apparently Jobs initially wanted no physical buttons at all, but then came the issue of if software froze and you needed to restart.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Apparently Jobs initially wanted no physical buttons at all, but then came the issue of if software froze and you needed to restart.

There is no reason to have such a large button on the front to get out of a freeze

There is ample space to have a button to get you out of trouble anywhere around the outside of the device.

If it really was a reset button many electronics items and most computer have had reset buttons for decades

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011
can the touch id measure your body temperature by touching the ID home button ? :confused:

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
There is no reason to have such a large button on the front to get out of a freeze

There is ample space to have a button to get you out of trouble anywhere around the outside of the device.

If it really was a reset button many electronics items and most computer have had reset buttons for decades

Agreed. It took me a little while to get used to the digital home button on my Nexus 5, but now that I am, I find the physical home buttons slower and slightly more annoying. I know, first world problems, but it's still something I notice. The iPhone could simply use the power button to get out of a freeze like the N5 does, and have more room for a larger screen, which is why I went to the N5 in the first place.

D.

Frazzle

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Not very reliable anyway

My 5S' Touch ID had a rather high failure rate as well. Main use was in the car, when it's in its holder. Didn't work all that well, especially because it needed time to read.

I write in the past tense because my fingerprint sensor has now failed completely, no longer registering anything. I hate that, may now need to get a replacement even though the rest of the phone is rock solid. Such a waste.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
i know this isn't particularly relevant but i would love if this was integrated in the touchpad on the new macbook pros, it can be used as a defining feature and it will be great for those of us that want biometric security and convenience.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I'm going to have to disagree with you. Not saying that you haven't had issues in the cold.. but from your profile you in SF Bay... I live in Minnesota, where we just had wind chills of 60 below the other week. So from my experience in the cold, I didn't notice any. Granted, the only time I actually had my gloves off was when I had to work on my car in a garage with a not working heater.. so it was still pretty stink'n cold. I had to go inside every 10-15 to warm up. Anyways, didn't have any issues then. Guess millage may vary but yes, it does, I should actually say CAN, work in the cold.

Good observation. My profile says the Bay Area since I go to college there. I'm from Michigan however (grew up there), so I've been home for the past month; thus I got some polar vortex love also. :cool: Never seen -40 windchills since I've lived here.

I noticed a lot more problems at home than during school, and so did a friend of mine who lives in Ann Arbor. Just our observations though.

jamiemcd

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
I thought I must just be one of the small number of people who TouchID fails about a third of the time. Love my iPhone 5s for its speed and I skipped upgrading my iPad 3 to the iPad Air because it lacked TouchID, but now I'm considering just turning it off. I haven't read much about others getting frustrated with TouchID, so I guess it is working for most users.

hello12

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
it works 100% of the time........half the time....

Works for me 95% of the time or better, unless my finger is in a really bad position or before my fingers are dry.
Either touch is is defective on devices or people are not setting it up right. I don't know.

Shizho

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2014
I'm going to have to disagree with you. Not saying that you haven't had issues in the cold.. but from your profile you in SF Bay... I live in Minnesota, where we just had wind chills of 60 below the other week. So from my experience in the cold, I didn't notice any. Granted, the only time I actually had my gloves off was when I had to work on my car in a garage with a not working heater.. so it was still pretty stink'n cold. I had to go inside every 10-15 to warm up. Anyways, didn't have any issues then. Guess millage may vary but yes, it does, I should actually say CAN, work in the cold.

I think what messes it up is switching temps quickly, like when glasses would fog up.... that's when I have troubles... & when my hands are wet.

----------

wanted to buy the 5S now, might as well wait for the 6 then :apple:

Hmmm... I can't recommend that. I've heard that the 6S will be better than the 6, you should probably wait for that! (that is, unless you think the 7 will be better than the 6S)
Lol.

/sarcasm

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Only if the fingerprint reading capability is improved.
Completely useless garbage when the finger is not perfectly dry.

Speaking from experience as an iPhone 5s owner.

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Will iPhone 6 come sooner than the 'regular' fall schedule? That would be great if it happens.

P.S. what happened to the "Nest" thread, that they had to close it?

kdarling

macrumors P6
I think what messes it up is switching temps quickly, like when glasses would fog up.... that's when I have troubles... & when my hands are wet.

True, if your fingers (or the phone) are moist, then the signal from the metal ring will also travel directly across the wet surface instead of just through your finger as it should. The multiple signal paths confuse the sensor.

(A reminder also that you need to make sure your finger touches the ring.)

Yes, most other devices did have a reset button.

That's why it was sheer genius by Apple to have a single physical button that the user would click all the time.

By using it to interrupt the OS to clean things up and go back to the homescreen, Apple basically put a recovery button front and center, without the user even knowing it.

It was a reset button hidden in plain sight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.