iPhone 6 Front Panel Survives Limited Bending Test

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 7, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

2. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The iPhone 5 is too thin, never mind the iPhone 6. I just hope in making it thinner they do in fact make it stronger somehow.

3. macrumors 601

The Doctor11

I don't see the point in this. I'm pretty sure the aluminum on the back will spring right back to its oringal state. Of course apple could make it out of something else but I don't think they will. I just don't think the iPhone 6 will bend at all.

4. macrumors regular

How does this compare to the iPhone 5S front cover with regards to being able to bend like this?

5. macrumors 601

The Doctor11

Stronger would be nice. My mom did bend here phone nearly in half. See slammed it in the car door. It was amazing the front didn't break but the back bent way back. The problem is to make it stronger it would at extra weight.

6. macrumors 68000

keysofanxiety

I just want better battery life ... currently down to 40% from intermittent use as I'm at work, connected to wifi, and it was fully charged at 7:30AM (it's 4PM at the moment).

Not sure how this compares to other smartphones but 12 hours of heavy usage is about my limit. I really love the iPhone but it's crazy to think that a MacBook Air almost has as much battery life. Hope Apple address this in the 6 and really push some innovation with power saving.

7. macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I can't see a reason to bend my iPhone.

8. macrumors 6502

a.roden

Corning won't be very happy after seeing this. After all they keep claiming that Sapphire is too brittle and cracks easily. Exciting stuff. This could be a scratch-proof (excluding diamond), and nearly shatter-proof screen! :apple:

9. macrumors 65816

Even though the title clearly states it survives, the tension in the video still made me wince haha :D

10. macrumors regular

I think this test is to show that the iPhone 6 front cover is not made of Gorilla glass.

But supposedly made of sapphire.

11. GoneDrinkin, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

macrumors member

The iPhone 6 will not be designed to bend at all.

This is a stress test. The more 'give' in a material, the less likely it will be to shatter under impact when dropped.

That's the only point of this video.

12. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've seen too many threads in the iPhone forum about it being bent.

13. macrumors newbie

A Feeling

Does anyone else have a feeling that the mockups are not going to look like anything Apple is going to release?

I was looking through the archives about what the iPhone 5 would look like and MacRumors was off lol... any one else feel the same way or are we dead on about what the iPhone 6 is going to look like?

14. macrumors regular

I can see it now....

iPhone 6 - "The fun never bends"

15. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

That's not the front panel, that IS the iPhone 6. :p

"Now almost 100% thinner!"

16. Jsameds, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

macrumors 65816

Around this time in 2012 they were spot on:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/07/iphone-5-back-cover-hands-on-video/
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/08/high-resolution-iphone-5-renderings-based-on-leaked-parts/
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/new-photos-of-next-generation-iphone-engineering-sample-massing/

Just reading the comments on those articles, lol. History repeats itself :D

17. macrumors 6502

rp2011

As it is clearly stated. There is nothing to verify if this is indeed sapphire. May be Gorilla Glass in the video.

18. macrumors newbie

This makes me feel better, I guess I didn't dig deep enough lol
    I still hope its more mind-blowing than what is predicted on the forums.
    The anticipation is too high to measure!

19. macrumors 6502

Slap the glass against a flat surface and let's see how well it holds up.

After my iPhone 4 busted, the back glass popped off unaffected, so I tested the strength of it by hitting it with a hammer as hard as I could, but it did nothing. However, I dropped the glass from about 12 inches, flat onto a wooden desk, and the entire glass shattered.

20. macrumors 68000

Mattsasa

Sony can you please try scratching the screen to see if it is sapphire or not?!!!

21. macrumors 68030

Very unhelpful. Drop the dang thing on a tiled floor or a driveway....

22. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

Until there's a huge leap forward in battery technology, not much will change. Look at the size of the MacBook Air's screen in relation to its battery size; that's similar to the proportion of the iPhone and its battery.

It might be useful for manufacturers to embed solar cells on a phone, but with a device that spends much of its life in a pocket that might not help much either. We simply need longer lasting batteries for our always-on devices.

23. macrumors 68040

So how much thinner will be the iPhone 6? until now all the rumors point the 7mm mark thin. Now we are targeting 6.7mm ?

24. macrumors regular

Curious what percentage of iPhone users use no protective case. Maybe the number is higher than I think. My anecdotal experience is that the vast majority of people use a case, point being that in Apple's never-ending zeal to make it thinner and thinner and thinner the "average consumer" doesn't care given they will put it in a case that will, inherently, make it bulky, or at least bulkier.

I'd be thrilled if the width stayed the same or - god forbid - it actually got thicker, and as a result battery life improved and/or storage improved and/or processor improved. The whole thinner-est-most-est makes for about 90 seconds of oohs and ahhs during the release presentation and, at least for me, that's it.

25. macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

[​IMG]
    I hope that picture carries my humor. I don't want to rain on your parade... :D