Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPhone 6 will feature a new haptic feedback technology when it ships later this year, claims Chinese mobile phone information site Laoyaoba (Google Translate, via GforGames).

iphone6render.jpg
iPhone 6 render by Tomas Moyano and Nicolas Aichino
Citing inside sources, the report claims that Apple will ship the iPhone 6 with a tactile feedback linear motor, which can allow the user to feel subtle vibrations depending on different app scenarios and even on specific areas of the touch screen. The report also notes that this new haptic feedback motor will cost twice or three times as much as the $0.60 vibration motor found in the iPhone 5s.

Apple has expressed interest in haptic technology in the past, filing a patent on the subject in 2009. That patent discussed the idea of allowing users to "feel out" the different elements on a web page with haptic feedback, noting that the lack of such a technology was a disadvantage for the iPhone's multi-touch screen.

The iPhone 6 is expected to launch in September in two sizes of 4.7-inches and 5.5-inches. Aside from a larger display, the device is also expected to include a faster quad-core 64-bit A8 processor, and a thinner design with curved edges like that of the fifth-generation iPod touch. Both iPhone 6 models are also expected to receive an improved camera, which will come in the form of optical image stabilization for the 5.5-inch model and a new lens module for the smaller 4.7-inch phone.

Article Link: Report Claims iPhone 6 Will Feature New Dynamic Haptic Feedback Technology

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I hope iPhone 6 will look like that mock up instead of the one with the thick borders. Thick top/bottom bezels but I can leave with it.

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
Would be awesome for games and stuff... I see no reason not to include it.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to turn it off, and I doubt Apple will use it much at all in their stock apps tbh, more of a third party thing for games.

mactumors

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
The list of rumored features for this thing is getting ridiculous...

Larger screen, two sizes, sapphire, optical image stabilization, NFC, longer battery life, higher resolution, 802.11ac, better Touch ID, A8 processor/graphics and coprocessor, temperature sensors, humidity sensors, a barometer, and now haptic feedback. All in the thinnest casing ever.

It can't possibly all be true. Reminds me of the iPhone 5 rumors when everyone thought it would be an impossibly thin teardrop with NFC and so on.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Quite like haptic feedback, especially on the on-screen keyboard.

This will probably tie in with third party keyboards, right?

krewger

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2012
oh yay! Maybe there can be a slow vibrate instead of the ridiculous high speed one in the 5s. It's obnoxious, like a child screaming in a library. A iPhone 5s only has one silent mode, and that is with sound and vibrate off. Leave a iPhone 5s on a desk and it vibrates and you can hear it 30 feet away. I have always wished it would run at half speed and produce a softer vibrate like the old 4s and prior.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
It can't possibly all be true. Reminds me of the iPhone 5 rumors when everyone thought it would be an impossibly thin teardrop with NFC and so on.

The tear drop design almost had to be a design that got scrapped at the last minute. Too many case makers making cases for it not to be. Unless it was a dummy phone to throw people off.

Back on topic, iPhone 6 is gonna be a beast!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
oh yay! Maybe there can be a slow vibrate instead of the ridiculous high speed one in the 5s. It's obnoxious, I have always wished it would run at half speed and produce a softer vibrate like the old 4s and prior.

The 4S and CDMA iPhone 4 have a soft vibrate because of the type of vibrate motor used. All other iPhones have the same barrel type vibrate motor. It's often been noted by people doing comparisons between different iPhone models that the iPhone 3G and 3GS have the most powerful and loudest vibrate.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
No hints of this in the code. Or at least no one has found anything suggesting this so far in the developer pre release. No API, no settings, etc. I am therefore thinking this is not a reality yet. Personally even if it was I am not so sure about it. I had an android for a bit that had so,etching like this and I was not a big fan. Just my thought of course.

elvetio

macrumors member
May 29, 2012

users to "feel out" the different elements on a web page with haptic feedback

wat?
someone care to explain?
how exactly can you "feel" the elements in a web page? How would it "feel" to open macrumors for instance..?

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I fail to see how vibrations make things more pleasing or in any way make for a more impressive user experience. Have you recently seen a movie and sat in one of those haptic feedback FX chairs? It gets annoying very quickly.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I have a feeling the iPhone 6 is going to be one bad-ass phone.

I have a feeling you are going to be sorely disappointed.

Invariably, the laundry list of rumored iPhone features & improvement never happen all with one release. From the first iPhone revision onward Apple has included two or three changes. It's always evolutionary, not revolutionary because Apple wants to sell you the next iPhone too, not to mention an engineering challenge.

4.7" screen, yes.
Improved Touch ID, a must.
NFC, maybe.
A8 proc., obviously

Everything else, pick one.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
'will cost twice or three times as much as the $0.60 vibration motor'

So either $1.20 or $1.80. Ouch! :eek:

Improved battery life > everything else including this.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
wat?
someone care to explain?
how exactly can you "feel" the elements in a web page? How would it "feel" to open macrumors for instance..?

Like disbelief and hate.

Seriously though, I guess touching a portion of the webpage that's empty would give you different feedback than touching a button, or text box. That way, by feeling alone, you know if your finger has found it's mark.

SavMBP15

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
'will cost twice or three times as much as the $0.60 vibration motor'

So either $1.20 or $1.80. Ouch! :eek:

Improved battery life > everything else including this.

What this really means is the iPhone 6 will cost an extra $100 because of this "feature".

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
The list of rumored features for this thing is getting ridiculous...

Larger screen, two sizes, sapphire, optical image stabilization, NFC, longer battery life, higher resolution, 802.11ac, better Touch ID, A8 processor/graphics and coprocessor, temperature sensors, humidity sensors, a barometer, and now haptic feedback. All in the thinnest casing ever.

The thing is larger screens with higher resolutions that are covered in a protective layer of sapphire can be presented as one new major feature.

Also, remember how many features they crammed into iOS 8 at WWDC compared to, say, iOS 6 in 2012.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.