Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Demand for the next generation iPhone remains strong in the months before its expected fall debut, claims a report from RBC Capital Markets analysts. According to a 4,000 person survey conducted by RBC, half of consumers who plan to upgrade their phone in the next three months intend to buy an iPhone and a quarter of those would be willing to pay $100 more for their iPhone to have a 5.5-inch screen over the other rumored size of 4.7 inches.

smartphone-iphone-50-percent.png
Customers know about and are interested in the next iPhone, with 74 percent of survey respondents stating they are aware of Apple's possible fall iPhone launch and fifty percent claiming they are interested in buying an iPhone for their next phone. Primarily, customers are looking for performance improvements and a large screen in their next iPhone handset.
While ~49% of smartphone purchasers are inclined to buy the next Apple product, we learned that the main driving factor for sales surround performance improvements (battery life 33%, processor 18%, camera 12%). In our view, these results are positive for AAPL, as we would not be surprised to see improvements to both battery life and processing speed with the iPhone 6. Finally, beyond performance improvements, we also learned that screen size could materially impact sales, as 23% of participants surveyed are inclined to purchase a larger screen iPhone.
These customers not only want a larger phone, they also are willing to pay for it, with more than one quarter of respondents willing to pay a $100 premium to buy a 5.5-inch iPhone for $299 instead of the current $199 for the 16GB iPhone 5s and presumably the 4.7-inch iPhone 6. This echoes an earlier report from Raymond James analyst Tavis McCourt, who also says consumers are showing an increasing willingness to pay a $100 price premium for a larger device.

iphone-pricing.png
Analysts expect the next iPhone to cause iPhone sales to surge as consumers upgrade to the large-screened handset. This demand could translate into a 15 to 20 percent jump in unit sales, year over year, claims RBC. Besides the iPhone 6, Apple also is expected to unveil the iWatch and refresh its iPad lineup later this year in what Eddy Cue says is "the best product pipeline that I've seen in my 25 years at Apple."

Article Link: iPhone 6 Interest Remains Strong as Consumers Look to Larger Displays

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
$100 more is fine with me if it has bigger screen ... and hopefully better battery life!

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
It all comes down to how each model fits in my hand. Not a fan of the size of the Note in my hand.

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
I think a lot of iPhone fans will finally discover what many other Android/WP users have long known:

1) Larger screens rock for everything. Email, games, browsing, video playback, reading, typing... etc. The list can go on and on. The benefits are great.

2) Using larger screen devices with one hand is not impossible, and in fact, quite manageable. You'll learn to adjust. Those that used to claim it's impossible will eat their words when they learn just how quickly they'll adjust.

3) Larger devices can still fit in pockets. Of course, the larger you go, the harder it'll be, but again, people will adjust.

4) There is no "perfect size" -- choice will be great. I do hope Apple continues offering a 4" option, though, for those who want to stay there. And ideally, a next-generation 4" option (not just the previous generation's 5S or anything). If not, people will just have to adopt to the trends if they want the latest.

Very much looking forward to the new iPhones.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Is apple ready going to start offering 32 GB minimum storage?

Doubtful

It will be $399 for a slightly larger 5.5" screen and 32 GB

Count on it :apple:

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
I shall buy a 5.5" iPhone.
Should someone call me on it, I shall hold to my ear and speak.
People will laugh but I don't care; they're so small I can't even see them...

D.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
I've been using a Galaxy Note since my iPhone 5 was destroyed in a car accident. It's big, to be sure, but not as bulky, once you get used to it. I'm quite ready to ditch it in favor of a 5.5in iPhone, as Android is definitely not my cup of tea.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
more than one quarter of respondents willing to pay a $100 premium to buy a 5.5-inch iPhone for $299 instead of the current $199 for the 16GB iPhone 5s

And more than one quarter of respondents still don't know the definition of "subsidized" . :rolleyes:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Is apple ready going to start offering 32 GB minimum storage?

Doubtful

It will be $399 for a slightly larger 5.5" screen and 32 GB

Count on it :apple:

I'm sure they're rethinking that after Amazon's 32 GB minimum.

/s

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
I find my Nexus4 screen (4.7) to be a bit too big. I find that I prefer the iPhone 5 size.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
i bought my 5S the other week to avoid the new design. i can't be alone..
down the road, i'd even buy a next-gen 5C to maintain the size if they offered muted colors like, y'know, black and gray..

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I think a lot of iPhone fans will finally discover what many other Android/WP users have long known:

1) Larger screens rock for everything. Email, games, browsing, video playback, reading, typing... etc. The list can go on and on. The benefits are great.

2) Using larger screen devices with one hand is not impossible, and in fact, quite manageable. You'll learn to adjust. Those that used to claim it's impossible will eat their words when they learn just how quickly they'll adjust.

3) Larger devices can still fit in pockets. Of course, the larger you go, the harder it'll be, but again, people will adjust.

4) There is no "perfect size" -- choice will be great. I do hope Apple continues offering a 4" option, though, for those who want to stay there. And ideally, a next-generation 4" option (not just the previous generation's 5S or anything). If not, people will just have to adopt to the trends if they want the latest.

Very much looking forward to the new iPhones.

Excellent post, agreed with all of it.

I picture those that like 3.5" and 4" phones as having 19" square tv's in their houses. I have an iphone, but it's really to small for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.