iPhone 6, iOS 7 w/ satellite phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BZIG, Jan 1, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

When I go offshore, I pair my iphone 4s with Delorme inreach, would be nice if the next release iPhone 6? is capable of satellite transmit even in simplex data only.

Do you think its possible?

2. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Umm this probably won't happen.

3. macrumors 604

not happening. Satellite phone is way too expensive.

4. macrumors 601

Anything's possible. With mass produced products possible isn't what matters. It's what the majority wants (or are perceived to want) that matters. I'd say it's unlikely given the relative lack of popularity of satellite service.

5. macrumors 601

The last I hear, people are not beating down carriers' doors for satellite service.

6. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

Anything is possible, but if you consider the nearly zero demand, I think you'll conclude that it won't happen any time soon.

7. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I don't ever see it happening.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

The cost for text messaging by satellite is cheap these days, paying less than at@t cell data plan and its in the iridium network, pole to pole. There is also a lower cost Globalstar Spot connect, around 9 bucks.

It pairs up with your iphone by bluetooth, though somewhat clunky to set up but when u get the hang of it, its better than a 406 plb. :D

When was the last time you went fishing, hiking, climbing and there was no cell coverage, what u gonna do when TSHTF?

9. macrumors 65816

Tankmaze

an interesting idea, if apple could integrate the satellite phone within the same enclosure without sacrificing battery life and other features.. sure why not...

apple included GLONASS plus GPS in the 4S - 5, but I doubt it is something apple would invest their time with unless the technology & price is mature enough to use

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

They can call it iPhone 6 S for satellite :D

I like to travel light and having an all in one system is better, I'm hoping Apple is able to offer it sometime.