Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Lets put your approach into perspective: To last me an average day without charging you suggest to deactivate a feature that for many (me included) is among the most usefull that the iphone has...this logic does not add up...

If you bothered to read my post carefully or look into your own iOS settings you would know that I'm not advocating anyone to turn off their GPS always for all apps. In my case, the GPS was on for many apps and some of those apps I either didn't realize used GPS or never wanted the use of GPS in those apps. So I turned it off for them and that actually solved my power problem. Every case varies because we all use our phones differently with a different bunch of apps.

All I'm saying is look at how many apps are using GPS always or sometimes and switch off the ones you don't absolutely need. You might notice a difference.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
If no one wants thinner lighter phones, and this thin-ness and light-ness thing is exclusively an obsession unique to Apple alone, why do Samsung, LG, HTC, Motorola, Blackberry, Microsoft, Amazon, and everyone else keep designing thinner and lighter phones too? Heck, it isn't even like they're just thinning and lightening their own phones. They will specifically brag about their phone or tablets being thinner and lighter then Apple's devices.

So knock some sense into your favorite manufacturer first.

LG G2 = 3000 mAH battery. Can easily manage 7 hours of screen time.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
For developers, Apple has excellent documentation that tells developers how to use location services without turning GPS on. It's mostly a matter of the application saying how precise it needs the location. If 200m precision is enough, GPS will not be used (unless you are in the desert with no WiFi signal or cell tower for miles and miles). And apps that gather location data can leave that to the M7 chip while they run in the background.

I always suspect there is some conscientious developer doing everything right, and then some marketing guy says "why does that app not know the precise location, only with 80 meters error? Turn the GPS on!". Marketing people only care about appearances, they don't care about actual usefulness of their product.

What you're saying is true, but many developers fail to do this. I had to turn off all those location services because maps/weather apps drained my battery constantly. Even when I hadn't opened them for days.

carves

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2014
"The iPhone is thin enough as it is!"

As soon as you pick up an iPhone 6 when it's released you'll change your minds, just like you have done every other year since 2007.

I disagree. The thinness not only sacrifices battery life, but weakens the structure. I see so many iPhone 5 and 5S models that are slightly bent up by where the buttons create a weak spot in the shell.

I have so-so coverage where I work and have to use a battery case even though I only use the phone for maybe 1.5 hours per day. It's charging until I leave for work at 8, and it's usually on internal power by the time I get home at 5. Old flip phones and things that I used to have...I'd only have to charge them every couple of days. Smart phones are energy hogs and, especially as they get bigger, with more power-hungry displays and more usefulness, they really NEED bigger batteries. This is amplified by the fact that they tend to lose capacity as they age. I'd love it if they kept the thickness of the 4/4S and used all that extra volume on battery. I could ditch the thick battery case for a bumper and have a much thinner phone, and you wouldn't have to worry about charging it every day.

----------

If you bothered to read my post carefully or look into your own iOS settings you would know that I'm not advocating anyone to turn off their GPS always for all apps. In my case, the GPS was on for many apps and some of those apps I either didn't realize used GPS or never wanted the use of GPS in those apps. So I turned it off for them and that actually solved my power problem. Every case varies because we all use our phones differently with a different bunch of apps.

All I'm saying is look at how many apps are using GPS always or sometimes and switch off the ones you don't absolutely need. You might notice a difference.

As long as the arrow isn't showing in the upper bar, no apps are using GPS (even if they're set so they CAN use them when needed)

carves

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2014
I have some questions, that I haven't seen answered yet, hopefully you can help

1) Why don't people who want a bigger heavier phone with more battery buy a battery case ( or multiple battery cases if they are really into that kind of thing ) ?

2) Is it mainly fat people who don't like thin phones? My friends and I all like thin phones, but we're not fat. Is it something to do with having fat fingers, like a row of 5 bloated piggies?

3) Are people joking when they say they won't be able to hold onto the iPhone6 if it is any thinner? I understand that physically handicapped people will ( possibly ) have a problem, but again, why not just buy a nice case from the many thousands available.

I look forward to your answers...

We DO often use battery cases. I need to have one for my phone to last through a typical workday, and I'm not on the phone all that much. The problem is the battery case gives about 2x the battery life, but it literally DOUBLES the thickness of the phone. It's not an efficient use of space, and the thickness is VERY noticable (not to mention the added height...and the expense). On the other hand, nobody was really complaining about the thickness of the 4 and 5 models (although the 5 models bend easily up by the buttons due to being too thin). With current technology, we could double the use time while not being any thicker than those phones. I might be able to make it through an entire day wihtout charging and you'd only have to charge every few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.