Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Make it THIN! Yes!

I wear skinny jeans so this is awesome. Sorry if I don't have 26 pockets like you guys with cool cargo pants :cool: Just carry an extra back-up battery, solar panels, etc with you. Plenty of room in those fancy cargo pants!

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
This is really more or less a fallacy. If you store a certain amount of charge in the battery it's in there. Just because it isn't full doesn't mean the electrons aren't still in there. It's like putting 5 gallons of gas in the tank, which might fill it or might not. It's still going to keep the motor running for 5 gallons worth of time.

Now I'm sure there are some electrochemistry things going on that mess with the times a little bit but I doubt they matter enough to make any real world difference.

Another point is that the new battery in the Samsung Galaxy 5 charges faster than the 4 and it's larger. New batteries have new tech which allow them to charge faster.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
They should make a fitness version of the iPhone for people who want to use it when running, cycling or whatever.
Or at least an apple designed battery case.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I am using WiFi most of the day, and my little iPhone 4 can keep me going most of the day into the nighttime hours without a charge.

BUT, using 3G or when my wife uses 4G LTE on her iPhone 5 she uses battery like crazy.

as a side note...I tested a Samsung Galaxy S4 for a month and though the battery was larger, it was used up MUCH MUCH quicker. Part of the reason was a constant struggle to stay connected to Wifi.

When I had an iPhone 5S for several months, that battery would last through until bedtime with a charge overnight.

using Data sure seems to suck up battery life in my "testing"

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Look at all the hype with the Moto Razr phones (either the original ones or the current models). MUCH of that had to do with the thin, sleek form-factor.

If you're willing to carry around a big, heavy "brick" of a phone, you can have all the battery life you need. But people generally don't want that (and it really makes more sense to just sell it in the form of a big battery case, for those who DO want it).

I'm not saying Apple shouldn't keep long battery life as an important goal .... but just saying I consider it a step forward if the iPhone 6 is slimmer than my 5s and still has the same or slightly better battery life.

I do mind 'same' or 'slightly better' battery life because the present battery life on my iPhone 5s is dismal. I can barely get through the a quarter of the day with it.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Looks like companies that make external batteries and battery integrated cases will be sleeping easier tonight. Looking forward to the day Tim comes on the stage and says just wait until I tell you the battery life of the new iPhone. It's going to knock your socks off.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Apple, if you downsize the resolution under 1704x960 because you and Jonny want a thin device, and you only have a 1800maH battery because of it, you will not get my sale.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Also let's not forget that thinner will back it structurally more vulnerable. I don't get this obsession with thinnest other than a marketing buzz

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I sometimes think apple suffer from not having someone who actually goes out and does stuff with the iPhone because if its thinner than previous your gonna need a case on it because using the iPhone 5s as a camera is sometimes not the most secure feeling and Johhny Ive designs these things to be used without cases, hmmm in what scenarios sir?

someone needs to get out more?

maybe time to start looking at the google nexus...

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
This right here! Bigger batteries take longer to charge it's annoying! I want the new iphone to be like my macbook air which takes only two hours to fully charge.

Good point, never thought of the increased charge times. Apple is all about efficiency, which is why their products outperform other devices with higher spec. Tight integration and efficient exchange.

People on here seem to be under the impression that battery life won't increase, but I can practically guarantee it will, as it has with each iteration of iPhone.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
My 5s has always had poor battery performance. I don't know why; my wife's 4s lasts forever no matter what she does to it.

I'm thinking the issue with bigger battery is not thinness but weight. The iPhone 5s is 112g, while the Samsung S5 is 145g. I'll bet a good bit of that is the battery. Obviously weight is going to go up with going to a larger screen, there's probably a threshold where they feel it's no longer a one-handed device.

Dave

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Look at your apps closely. Mine was draining battery life like crazy for a brief time. I isolated a few apps that constantly ran GPS for no useful reason and turned off the GPS.

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services

For developers, Apple has excellent documentation that tells developers how to use location services without turning GPS on. It's mostly a matter of the application saying how precise it needs the location. If 200m precision is enough, GPS will not be used (unless you are in the desert with no WiFi signal or cell tower for miles and miles). And apps that gather location data can leave that to the M7 chip while they run in the background.

I always suspect there is some conscientious developer doing everything right, and then some marketing guy says "why does that app not know the precise location, only with 80 meters error? Turn the GPS on!". Marketing people only care about appearances, they don't care about actual usefulness of their product.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Oh cool, I thought it would be getting a bigger screen AND significant battery improvements. Turns out, it's just getting a bigger screen, so there's no reason for me to upgrade!

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Does anyone remember the reports of bending iPhone 5's when they came out?

I'm wondering how many of these ultra slim iPhone 6 will be damage by tight jeans ;)

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Also let's not forget that thinner will back it structurally more vulnerable. I don't get this obsession with thinnest other than a marketing buzz

There were plenty of cases of the 5 and 5s bending in peoples pockets. Wonder if anyone at apple has been trying it in their front pockets before signing off on the design?

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
I will be going from 4S directly to iPhone 7, or 8, 9 or maybe none if battery does not improve.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
There is no way in the world that I can go a whole day on a full single charge in the morning. Most people I know in NYC no matter what their phone is cannot go a whole day without trying to get some charge here or there. Power users vs casual. That's all it is.

NYC is a bit of a special case. Lack of mobile bandwidth causes phones to constantly drop and then reacquire signals. They're working extra hard to stay connected all the time.

I would even expect casual users in highly congested regions to suffer poor battery performance, but this would extend to all smart phones, not just iPhones.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Don't worry guys... this isn't the whole story...

yes capacity maybe modestly improved... but the software tweaks they will implement in the ios 8 gold master will dramatically improve battery life.

Maybe, but all the jailbreakers will still tell us about awful battery life without telling us about jailbreaks.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
If people hope that some magic software tricks in iOS 8 will give them extraordinary battery life, then I am afraid that they will be in for disappointment. One of the biggest battery drains is the screen. If the screen got bigger, then likewise the battery capacity has to increase. The capacity figures mentioned here sound rather lowish. Too low IMHO :(

This obsession with thinness is getting ridiculous. If at the end of the day, one can't make a call anymore or check something important on the web, because the battery has died *again*, then no matter what Sir Jony Ive will be purring in his iPhone 6 production video, it should be frikking unacceptable .

It's of course just a rumor. The sad part is, though, to many of us it sounds entirely plausible, given the development in recent years.

Last edited:

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
It's a guaranteed no buy from me if it isn't an improvement on the 5S. So sick to death of it lasting 6 hours and charging it twice a day. Complete waste of time moving to a bigger screen with a similar capacity. And no, I don't want to stick a 180g £80 juice pack on my phone just to get it through the afternoon.

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
Apple is moving in the exact opposite direction they should be going in. The current generation iPhone is already among the thinnest smartphones out there, and it also has one of the lowest battery capacities.

The number of people complaining that the iPhone is too thick versus those who complain the battery life is poor is not even a fair comparison. After all, comparing zero to any number really isn't much of a comparison.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
It's a guaranteed no buy from me if it isn't an improvement on the 5S. So sick to death of it lasting 6 hours and charging it twice a day. Complete waste of time moving to a bigger screen with a similar capacity. And no, I don't want to stick a 180g £80 juice pack on my phone just to get it through the afternoon.

Every new iPhone release has had increased battery life.

....and it also has one of the lowest battery capacities.

Which means almost nothing. What matters is how many hours it can last doing xyz task.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.