iPhone 6 Mockups of Low Quality, Antenna Breaks Not in Final Design

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 30, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

We've seen a steady stream of mockup devices that claim to represent the form factor of the rumored 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6. While these mockups provide a fairly accurate look at Apple's upcoming iPhone hardware, they may not be completely accurate, claims Nikkei (via GforGames).

[​IMG]
    Though they may reflect the overall design, the iPhone 6 mockups have been produced quickly with low quality materials. This haphazard construction misses a few key design elements, the most notable of which is a curved glass display that Nikkei sources say will seamlessly transition into the aluminum shell that encloses the device.

[​IMG]
    Nikkei sources also say the antenna breaks, shown on the back of some mockups, will not appear in the final version of the iPhone 6. These white-striped lines are thought to mark out the location of the back panels and are not part of the final external design. As a result, the backing on the iPhone 6 may closely resemble the styling of the iPhone 5/5s.

This isn't the first report that claims the iPhone will feature a curved glass display. A report this year from Mac Otakara and an earlier one last year from Bloomberg also claimed the iPhone 6 will ship with a curved display that will lay flush with the phone's round corners.

Apple is rumored to be preparing both a 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch version of the iPhone 6 for launch in September. The devices are thought to feature an A8 processor, an improved camera and a thinner design with oval buttons that are similar to the sixth generation iPod touch. The iPhone may be priced in tiers, with the larger 5.5-inch model costing $100 more than the 4.7-inch version.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Mockups of Low Quality, Antenna Breaks Not in Final Design

2. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm really not liking those lines at all. I sure hope the real thing looks better.

3. macrumors regular

4. macrumors member

5. macrumors 6502a

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in relief and were suddenly silenced. I fear something wonderful has happened." -- Obiwan

6. macrumors 6502

7. macrumors regular

Futurix

Obviously these are not what Nikkei suggests, because these are just repurposed old mockups / shell photos.

8. macrumors 65816

TouchMint.com

Yea I'm not a fan of the white bands so I'm glad they might not really be included.

As for curved glass I've never used it but I don't see anything wrong with flat glass. That is unless the curved glass means edge to edge screen with wrap around design, then I am all for it haha.

9. macrumors regular

sixth generation iPod touch?

10. macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

11. macrumors 6502a

Best iPhone design ever created. Hands down.

Attached Files:

12. macrumors 65816

wouldn't glass all the way to the edges just collect scratches all the time?

13. macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Reading is fundamental.

14. macrumors 68000

Maybe thats why its Sapphire

15. macrumors 68040

I miss the all glass front and back also.

16. macrumors 6502

It's only saying that the glass will be flush with the aluminum, not that the glass itself will wrap around the edge. If true, it's most likely that the aluminum will wrap around the edge and meet the glass on the front, in sort of a seamless transition.

17. macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

And I was starting to warm up to those thick antenna bands...

18. macrumors 6502

MacrumoursUser

19. macrumors 6502a

How? :confused:

20. macrumors newbie

21. macrumors 68040

xgman

I had a feeling this was the case. It didn't make sense otherwise.

22. macrumors 68000

Me too. That camera poking out though...

23. macrumors 68040

xgman

I know, glass wrapping around the edge (unless unbreakable) is a disaster waiting to happen.

24. macrumors 6502a

until you drop it.

25. macrumors 6502

Finally a rumor I can get behind. Now I just need them to tell me they got the dimensions wrong and its actually a lot shorter!