iPhone 6 or 7: made in USA?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MartyBeez, Aug 29, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Here's a thought: Apple has a nicely established supply chain of various iDevice parts. Apparently this makes it very difficult to keep a secret, considering the number of photos and videos of various iPhone5S/5C parts.

It could very well be that the next iPhone (or the one after that) is made in the USA, after positive evaluations of doing the Mac Pro 'at home'.

What are your thoughts?

2. macrumors newbie

I agree with you. Plus, it sounds and looks better with "Made in USA" label at the back of the phone.

3. thread starter macrumors member

True. However, it may make those devices a lot more expensive...

4. macrumors 6502a

Only $4
    But hey at least the money is going into our country to help the economy better AND Have better quality iPhones than the cheapy china ones.

5. macrumors 68030

Mac Pro sells in the thousands. iPhone sells in tens of millions. No comparisons to be made.

6. macrumors 68030

Steve121178

All the components are made in Asia. 'Assembled in the USA' would be more accurate.

----------

Why would they be better quality? The Asian factories to a great job. And who's going to make your American iPhone's when they all start striking and walking out due to pay disputes etc? You don't get all that crap in Asia.

7. macrumors 601

Not to me.

You have to consider that most iPhones are not sold to consumers in the US.

Having an iPhone that is "Made in the USA" does not appeal to me in the slightest - it would almost certainly cost more and would not offer any benefits.

8. macrumors 68020

Nah i dont think noone cares besides the "hurr durr bring the jobs back" crowd.

9. macrumors 68020

This, it would be nice to see Made in the USA, but the demand far outweighs what USA manufacturing can supply.

Where as, the Mac Pro will only sell a mere fraction of iPhones since they are priced and targeted at professionals, and the demand will not be anywhere close than the iPhone.

10. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It will be like the Moto X.

11. macrumors 603

Menel

Not a chance. Already covered.

http://www.ibtimes.com/iphone-why-cant-it-be-made-usa-399290

Atlanta has a population of 432,000.
    Foxconn's factory in Shenzhen has 450,000 workers.

Can you convince the entire population of Atlanta. Think on that a moment. To move into dormitories to be on call for building the latest gadget. And paid factory worker wages.

I know I'm not signing on for that.

12. macrumors G3

At best, some iPhones could be made/assembled in the US. They would keep making iPhones in various locations for the local market.

We might see other Macs get split production, some in the US and some in China before thay do that with iOS devices.

Really? Processors are made in Texas, Glass is made in South Carolina or Georgia (I forget which). And if I recall correctly other bits are made in the US as well for the various iOS devices.

Made in USA vs Assembled in USA would depend on the percentage of materials that are made in the USA.

13. macrumors 65816

musika

How does? Why would...? Wait. What?

14. macrumors 603

Menel

Originally made in Kentucky. Some may still be made there.

Now, mostly made in China

15. macrumors G3

Then they could still make some in the US if Apple manufacturing requires it. They may still make the glass in the US for Brazilian made iOS devices.

16. macrumors 68030

Besides which, I’m Canadian. Other people are English, French, Italian, Mexican, Indian, Australian, German, etc. “Assembled in the USA” doesn’t impress as much.

17. macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

I would pay a little more to have it built in America...:cool:

18. macrumors 68000

$4 is a lot if you consider Apple sells over 120 million iphones. They would lose close to $500 million by building it in US. Considering the cut throat nature of the smartphone industry, Apple is not going to throw away a half billion dollars.

19. macrumors 603

Menel

The $4 was pulled out of his ass. But don't take my word for it... Some quick googling.

"By locating the same iPhone factory in America, Apple would add more than $25 billion in labor costs a year, which would completely wipe out Apple’s 2010 profit of $14 billion." -forbes

"Various academics and manufacturing analysts estimate that because labor is such a small part of technology manufacturing, paying American wages would add up to $65 to each iPhone’s expense." -nytimes

"And though everyone cites how the cost of labor is much cheaper in China, the fact is labor is less important to a company's bottom line than supply chains are. And the reality is, all the supply chains to manufacture consumer electronics exist in China. Components are made in this facility, glass next door, a million screws can be found down the road, so on and so on—that convenience saves companies a lot more money than the benefit of hiring cheap labor."-nytimes

20. macrumors 68040

I would pay a little more for it to be manufactured in the USA. Doubt it will happen though. Current trade laws make it more profitable to manufacture goods outside the US.

21. macrumors 68020

Rocko1

22. macrumors 604

In the U.S.A, the working conditions of the iPhone factories would never pass OSHA rules. Nor would workers here likely to work for less than minimum wage. There's no way we could turn out the millions of iPhones that are made in China.

23. macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Force all the wellfare recipients to put in even 4 hours of work a day for their checks.

24. macrumors 6502

This ^

25. Mrbobb, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

macrumors 601

There is an article today somewhere that MotoX USA final assembly only, NOT manufacture, costs Moto another $12.

Then at some point there was an article explaining why electronics manufacture is never coming back. They cite this example some manufacturing towns in China is like parts heaven. Not happy with your screws and want something of a different spec and want 100,000 of them in a few days? Some chop down the block probably have them. They don't have to go searching for far flunked suppliers. And those Chinese manufacturers move quick, they don't say because of the lack of government and environmental regulations.