Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
Are you holding it wrong? Ensure the earpiece actually is where your ear is. I used to feel the corner of my 5s at my ear, but if you feelyour 6 Plus' corner, the earpiece is too far away...

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Are you holding it wrong? Ensure the earpiece actually is where your ear is. I used to feel the corner of my 5s at my ear, but if you feelyour 6 Plus' corner, the earpiece is too far away...

I have tried moving it all around. tried turning off noise cancellation everything is just super muffled liked the earpiece shifted behind the glass or something.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
There is a setting to reduce ambient noise during calls, and I turned mine off. Some calls seemed a little muted/muffled, but it's all good now. Go to Settings, General, Accessibility, and then scroll down to Phone Noise Cancellation. If it's on, turn it off and see if your call clarity is better.

P.S. I have an iPhone 6, not the Plus, but it's likely the same system.

Thanks, this worked for me. I was having to have the volume completely turned up and still having problems hearing my calls. After turning off Noise Cancellation, I can hear the calls perfectly now.

jonafr3

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
I'm so frustrated with the call quality of the 6. I had my device replaced after three days because the phone calls were muffled and static and also the phone cuts me off for 10-30 seconds sometimes. I can hear the other person just fine but they can't hear me. The replacement does the same thing. I have replaced the SIM card and turned off voice LTE. Has anyone had a fix? I really don't want to give up on the 6, but I need to talk on the phone.

I have a wallet cover on my iphone 6, when I answer a call I bend the cover back covering the microphone that is next to the camera, every one was complaining that my calls were muffled, I drilled a 5mm hole in my wallet cover so that the mic is not covered when I bent back the cover and now the calls are perfectly clear.

Johndoey

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
I have the same problem, every time I make a call I can here the other oerd

----------

I have the same problem, every time I make or receive a call I can hear the other person but they can't hear me.

I thought it was an issue with my iPhone 6 but got s replacement phone and am having the same issue.

Have you now resolved your issue if so what did you do?

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
I am on my second 6 plus after having returned the first for poor call quality.

The sound I was getting was like the caller was under water, or sometimes almost a trumpet (like when the teacher in a Charlie Brown cartoon speaks).

This second 6 plus is somewhat better but it still has the same lack of treble clarity. Some reviewers have called the calling sound "warm", and this just may be the way that IPhones sound. It does seem that there is a signal quality element to it, if there is a bad signal the sound is much worse.

I've turned off the noise reduction and that seems to help a little, but it may just be placebo.

I've only had this unit for a few days and it seems like I could find it acceptable. If it gets worse it will be another return though.

Chuckitall

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Same problem

I'm on my 2nd IP6 and calls are still hard to understand what is being said. I find calls to or from landline phones are always much worse. Also have 2 buddies with Verizon Samsung phones and I have a hard time with them. almost all calls to other ATT IP's are very good. Strange problem, but not much seems to be done to make sure that these very expensive phones can actually make good quality calls.

CanadaEh

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Toronto
My cousin asked me about this same issue, and he msges me a few minutes later to realize his plastic was still on

Radioham

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
HI
I Have an IPhone 6 plus and I had the same problem hardly any sound.
Low in calls and ringing tones text tones
In the settings the volume is set to full but could not get it any louder.
Then I went to play music and that was set to low I turned it up to full and guess what ever other thing was set to full. So problem fixed for me.
There must be a bug in there software IOS 8.2
Steve
:)

NurseStephi

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2014
South Louisiana
Muffled iPhone 6

The only problem I have noticed with my iPhone 6 is that others tell me, I sound muffled to them. I hear everyone else clear and all videos, music, etc are clear. If anyone knows a solution, please share. I just think, considering this is a brand new phone, we shouldn't be having this type of problem.:rolleyes:

Justsumdude

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
I'm so frustrated with the call quality of the 6. I had my device replaced after three days because the phone calls were muffled and static and also the phone cuts me off for 10-30 seconds sometimes. I can hear the other person just fine but they can't hear me. The replacement does the same thing. I have replaced the SIM card and turned off voice LTE. Has anyone had a fix? I really don't want to give up on the 6, but I need to talk on the phone.

I'm at the same point as you. Exact same issues. Replaced phone and had same problems... then erased entire phone and did not restore from backup so it would be totally fresh. Same problems. I love the iPhone 6+ but the call issues are a deal breaker. Please help!

MsSumida

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2014
There is a setting to reduce ambient noise during calls, and I turned mine off. Some calls seemed a little muted/muffled, but it's all good now. Go to Settings, General, Accessibility, and then scroll down to Phone Noise Cancellation. If it's on, turn it off and see if your call clarity is better.

I have a 6+ and my phone noise cancellation is on and grayed out so I cannot change the setting. Going to Apple Store tomorrow...

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Wow, here I thought it was the VoLTE that caused this. Mine isn't garbled, but it has a softer, lower frequency sound. In a way it sounds better, as if it has a broader frequency range and less compression, but the EQ needs work.

MsSumida

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2014
Figured out my problem...
Settings -->General-->Accessibility-->Hearing Aids
once I turned off Hearing Aid mode (which when active did nothing to help me with my Oticon Hearing Aids), I was able to turn off Phone Noise cancellation.

The muffled sound from my iPhone is now gone

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I have a 6+ and my phone noise cancellation is on and grayed out so I cannot change the setting. Going to Apple Store tomorrow...

Mine was greyed out too. I noticed a hearing aid setting was turned on. I flipped it and was able to change then. Really boosted my volume a lot. The person I was speaking to said I sounded the same.
Check your other settings in that area.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area

Thanks for that. Worked like a champ with my 6
My volume was low, but it was pretty much ok. now it's loud, I turned it down a bit. Thx again

Mayngel

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2014

Thank you so much. This is indeed the reason for that irritating pressure caused to my ear while talking on the iphone 6 . This "noise cancellation " feature has to be one of the most stupid features ever. I have very sensitive ears and the sudden increase and decrease in the volume of the caller's voice was causing me so much pain in my ear.

brainspirations

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2014
iPhone6plus having LOTS of VOLUME issues/fails

You can use all of the strategies people suggest, but there are just some bad iPhone6pluses out there, including mine.

Apple needs to go public on it and do a wide recall. I am sure they can study their phone ID numbers and compare to shipment numbers and info and figure it out without making users think they're not setting it up (or better yet: "not holding it") properly.

Now if I could just get the Apple Care folks to answer my requests to chat and get that little spinning thingie off my screen... *sigh*

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
When I make a call it sounds like they have me on speaker phone although they do not.

I just checked and the ambient noise thing was on so I just turned it off and will check if it makes a difference when I have my next call :)

Mine was replaced when 3 weeks old due to it keep restarting randomly and quite often.

suzannev42

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2015
Nothing but trouble with iPhone 6 plus!!!

I bought iPhone 6 plus about one month ago, tired of waiting for Lifeproof to finally come out with their case. I am VERY particular about keeping my phone in an as new condition. I got an imitation of a Lifeproof Fre and it served the purpose of protecting my phone but phone conversations have been terrible. I tend to hear a high pitch sound on a regular basis, people tell me they cannot hear me or I keep cutting off. I personally hear everyone very clearly, in fact too loudly. I thought it was the case. Finally I got my Lifeproof case and the noise and bad reception continued. Yesterday, I returned the phone to Apple and they gave me a new one. I did activate the Phone Noise Cancellation to cancel some of the ambient sound. I have not yet heard the ongoing high pitch noise for the sheer reason that I have been unable to be heard properly by anyone I have called. I am soooooooo disappointed with this phone, I could cry. I should have bought an Android. All the raving reviews I have read about the iphone 6plus talk about the screen, the camera, the battery, etc. etc. What is the point of this if the actual PHONE does not work properly. This is supposed to be a phone, not an ipad. The phone should be the first thing that matters. I had an iphone 5 before which I loved. Never a problem, worked perfectly in my office, my home, everywhere. Now, if I use my 6 plus in my office, people tell me they cannot hear me clearly, that I keep cutting off.
I have done the steps outlined on Apple about checking the microphone. There is no way there is any dirt anywhere on the phone. I tested the microphone by recording myself. It recorded ok but the sound when I listened was somewhat muffled. I have old recordings from my iphone 5 and when I compare, the 5 recordings (done for a meeting in a large opened room) are as clear as can be and my 6 recording, speaking directly in the microphone is muffled. Go figure!!! The closest apple store to me if 2 hours away and what would be the point of changing again? This is obviously an Apple problem. I think they were so concerned about getting a phone that would outdo Android with all the bells and whistles that they forgot to pay attention to the quality of the phone itself. I am pissed!!! Suzanne

agipaok

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2014
Thessaloniki
HI
I Have an IPhone 6 plus and I had the same problem hardly any sound.
Low in calls and ringing tones text tones
In the settings the volume is set to full but could not get it any louder.
Then I went to play music and that was set to low I turned it up to full and guess what ever other thing was set to full. So problem fixed for me.
There must be a bug in there software IOS 8.2
Steve
:)

I have the same problem 6 plus ...! And i think that is happened after i mute my phone from the side button...! and after i unmute

suzannev42

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2015
3rd iPhone 6 plus and just as bad!

I have applied Noise Cancellation, my music volume is at the highest. This is my 3rd iPhone 6 plus and not much better. Maybe not as muffled but people tell me that I keep cutting off. I cannot have a normal phone conversation even standing near a Verizon tower!
I took my husband's iPhone 6 at the office today to check if it had the same issues. I was able to make calls and people heard me perfectly, just like with my old 5. I will go to Apple and try to change this for a 6. I love everything about this 6+ except the phone. What a pity!

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
I bought iPhone 6 plus about one month ago, tired of waiting for Lifeproof to finally come out with their case. I am VERY particular about keeping my phone in an as new condition. I got an imitation of a Lifeproof Fre and it served the purpose of protecting my phone but phone conversations have been terrible. I tend to hear a high pitch sound on a regular basis, people tell me they cannot hear me or I keep cutting off. I personally hear everyone very clearly, in fact too loudly. I thought it was the case. Finally I got my Lifeproof case and the noise and bad reception continued.

There are reports of issues with sound degradation and LifeProof cases here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1850292/

esjohnson1301

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2016

[doublepost=1455060654][/doublepost]Thank you very much. That worked. Fixed

Reactions: ron7624
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.