Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Supply of Apple's iPhone 6 Plus may gradually improve as Apple shifts production in favor of the unexpectedly popular handset, according to upstream supply chain sources speaking to Digitimes. This claim echoes an earlier report that suggests the iPhone 6 Plus may account for up to 60 percent of total future iPhone 6 device shipments.

iphone6-stock-photo.jpg
Though the production ratio has been adjusted to meet demand for the 6 Plus, retail supply will take time to improve as component suppliers and assemblers gradually ramp up to meet this new level of production.
But most component suppliers' current inventories are not sufficient for extra iPhone 6 Plus orders, and device manufacturers also do not have sufficient production lines for related assembly. Therefore, the retail channel may need to wait a while before seeing a signifciant increase in iPhone 6 Plus supply, the sources noted.
The supply of Apple's iPhone 6 Plus has been constrained since its launch last month. The handset quickly sold out during pre-orders and has remained in short supply. The estimated online shipment time for the handset currently sits at three to four weeks with iPhone tracking websites showing little to no inventory at brick and mortar retail stores.

Real-world usage is showing strong preference for the smaller iPhone 6 model, but with availability constraints on the iPhone 6 Plus, that result is not unexpected. With an upcoming launch in China on October 17, reservations there are seeing a more even split between the two sizes.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Shifting iPhone Production Balance More Toward iPhone 6 Plus

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
It's pretty amazing that at this point, as many phones as they make, they will sell.

bit_bucket

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Summerville, SC
Bendgate is in high demand after all.

Just stop it with the Bendgate. Many of us have these and they don't bend any worse than any other "metal" phone. It's really getting old this time around. The vitriol and attacks from trolls and some Android users really show the true desperation. Just use what what you like and don't judge someone else if they like something different than you.

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA
No surprise at all. The 6 Plus is a beast and people will love it. Especially the average user. That screen!

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Yeah I hope by Feb when my Att&T Next contract is up there will be a better supply

stars_fan

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Nut house
I finally got to the store to check out the new phones. I went home Sunday and ordered a 6+. My estimated ship date is 11/11.

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL
I sat in line at my Tampa Apple Store from 7pm Thursday evening, waiting to buy one gold iPhone 6 for my wife. It was a typical Apple Store line wait with interesting conversations with other line waiters all night.

When the staff came out around 5AM to take reservations, I got my 64GB Gold six with no problem. When I eventually got into the store around 11am Friday, I got my AT&T phone on a 2-year contract. I wanted a Plus for myself, but they were sold out, and we didn't have the money at the time to get mine, too.

The next day, our son clued us to AT&T's policy that our new subsidized phone purchases would cancel our $25 10GB data package discount. So we decided to return the phone and re-purchase it under AT&T's Next program, which defers the full purchase price over 20 payments and allows a phone upgrade after one year.

I went back and made the revised transaction with no problems, as the Apple Store had implemented Next Plan purchases a couple weeks earlier.

So then we were able to get my Plus, and I went back to the store the following Monday with the hope of catching a new shipment of phones. They again had no Pluses, but they did have 128 GB 6s, so I bought one.

The plan was then to go back during the 14-day buyer's remorse period in hopes of finding a Plus.

On the following Thursday, I got there at 7AM to find five "phone flippers" there ahead of me. I recognized one from Monday, and he asked me what I was looking for. Since none of them were interested in a 128 GB Plus, they let me in front of them. So I was #1!

The Apple Store App showed that the store had at least one silver 128 Plus. When the staff came out to take reservations at 8, I learned that they also had a gold 128, so I reserved it.

I got into the store around 11 and got my Plus, again on the Next Plan. You only pay the sales tax up front ($66.43 for my $949 Plus). And I got Apple Care, too, of course.

I'm very happy with it. It's fits fine in the front pockets of my Wranglers, and I'm happy to have the more advanced camera and the landscape home page, etc.

Last edited:

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I'm so glad Apple finally released larger iPhones, but I hope they haven't abandoned the smaller form factor altogether.
I personally like my primary daily phone in smaller form factor. And I can't even imagine using a 6 as an iPod when I go to the gym like I do my 5s for example.

So while I love the larger screens, people still need a smaller size too. And as we have seen with Android, it is perfectly possible to fit a 4.3" screen in the iPhone 5s physical form factor. So maybe not 4" but I look forward to a small 4.3" ish iPhone 7

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Just stop it with the Bendgate. Many of us have these and they don't bend any worse than any other "metal" phone. It's really getting old this time around. The vitriol and attacks from trolls and some Android users really show the true desperation. Just use what what you like and don't judge someone else if they like something different than you.

Well put. I totally agree.

AppleP59

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2014
Bendgate is in great demand after all.

Well put. I totally agree.

Adding "gate" to things seems to be his / her thing.
He / she seems to be the most avid supporter of "twitter.com/bendgate - official BendGate portal"
He / she will tire him / herself out.

Last edited:

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
"unexpectedly popular handset" What? They seriously didn't see this coming?

It's not the most ergonomically sound smartphone one can think of. Maybe Apple thought this would enter the equation more than it has done.

Also, I think one need to keep in mind that this isn't about predicting a "meh" vs "popular", but "extremely popular" and "very extremely popular".

----------

It's pretty amazing that at this point, as many phones as they make, they will sell.
And that's coming from a company with a famous production line...

iPhone 6 will probably stand out in this regard. I doubt the iPhone 7 will sell like this. There must have been a large built up demand for 4.7" and up.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I finally got to the store to check out the new phones. I went home Sunday and ordered a 6+. My estimated ship date is 11/11.

I ordered mine a week earlier and have an estimate of November 6th.

Here's hoping the supply chain can improve quickly enough to move our dates into October...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.