Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Do you people really think you can put these in your pants pocket and not bend
it? C'mon a little common sense, Please!

I'm sure Apple will get the blame and be asked to replace it......amazing.....*face palm*

IT'S A CELL PHONE, you are supposed to be able to put it in your pocket. You shouldn't have to carry it in your hand all the time because it will bend if you put it in your pocket.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
This might push me a little towards the 6. I have always carried my iPhones in a front pocket, and no bends yet.

hanzoh

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005

Attachments

• bent_iphone2.jpg
    bent_iphone2.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 8,569

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Rather bizarrely my weekend was similar to the OP's, however I attended a 50th wedding anniversary. My 6 Plus has been in the front pocket of loose-fit jeans, suit trousers and chinos for around the same length of time. My phone isn't bent, but I have the apple leather case. I was about to post a "2 days with the plus" thread to say that the bigger size in real life usage didn't cause me any trouble at all.Lived in my pockets with no issues or discomfort. Could use it drunk for texting/emailing/facebook no problem.

Now there's an endorsement!! :D

The pants are not tight, as they are suit pants, they give in and are not as rigid as a tight jeans. I did not feel the phone while sitting down, if I had felt any pressure, I would have taken it out.

I have had every iPhone except for the 3GS, and this has never been an issue. I never use a case and when I sell them after year they are always in great condition.

Of course I will return it, I just wanted to check if anyone else has the same issue.

It's possible the phone was like this from the very start.

My thought exactly. OP are you 100% sure it wasn't already bent? Same with that second poster with the photo.

The bends seem very similar, so I guess it could go either way (a batch coming like that, or suffering the same fate in the field).

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
This might push me a little towards the 6. I have always carried my iPhones in a front pocket, and no bends yet.

So don't worry about it. I've never had the problem either and I'm not about to start worrying about my 6+ either.

----------

No... You can place the iPhone 5, 5S, the 6, place it on the edge of a table and easily bend it using pressure... Just not sharp pressure, should be added gradually. Lo and behold you can bend it slightly to where its clearly uneven. Then you can even bend it back. I've personally done this. It doesn't take much pressure. Less and less now that it's even thinner than the 5S.
Yeah, I'm sure you intentionally tried to bend your phone.

I finally was able to hold the 6 plus at the Apple store yesterday and that puppy was very warm. Warmer than I believe any electronic device should be getting. And the first thing that came to mind was that with the thinness of the device it would only be a matter of time before we'd start to see bend-gate reports.

Thinness and heat don't usually work well together.

Bravo Jony!

Last edited:

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Apologies, missed the front pocket part.

However, I put my iPhone(s) (past and present) in my front pockets as well, including some 5's and never had an issue. I don't think that Apple can be blamed and this being a design flaw. Yes, people have the habit of putting their phones into their front and back pockets, but with phones getting thinner and lighter (ie less material used on the body) I think users have to compromise if they want a masterpiece of industrial design like the 6 / 6 Plus or go with another manufacturer who produces something more durable.

It should be reasonably expected that a phone won't bend whether it's paper thin or a giant slab.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
It should be reasonably expected that a phone won't bend whether it's paper thin or a giant slab.

And glass shouldn't break either!

Water shouldn't be wet while we're at it...

All reasonable expectations!

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I finally was able to hold the 6 plus at the Apple store yesterday and that puppy was very warm. Warmer than I believe any electronic device should be getting. And the first thing that came to mind was that with the thinness of the device it would only be a matter of time before we'd start to see bend-gate reports.

Thinness and heat don't usually work well together.

Bravo Jony!
You mean a store demo unit that has been used nonstop for hours and charging? Yeah typical phone useage, on a side note about heat and electronic devices, ever use a MacBook pro on your lap?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Oh man, that's terrible. So alongside the protruding camera, the reduced capacity battery, the extra heat and the difficulty in picking it up - all negatives due to Apple's obsession with thin devices - they're now also proven to be much more prone to bending. I'm sorry but a phone should be pocketable, not in a back pocket whilst seated obviously, but front pockets and side pockets etc should be fine. Nobody should be forced to put these things in a case just to get more rigidity and to compensate for the protruding camera, this surely defeats the purpose of a thin device in the first place!

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I received the 6+ on Friday (still trying to adjust to the sheer size of it although I love it in so many ways) but I instinctively knew when I took it out of the box that it is going to be the most fragile iPhone form factor yet, whether I end up with 6 or 6+. All that aluminum, thinness, and length/width means it will be more likely to bend, dent, etc., just like the MBA, not to mention screen damage if it's dropped with that curved glass front and no plastic bezel. I expect to have to handle it with kid gloves. It is what it is. I wish Ive and Co would place more emphasis on durability, water resistance and battery practicality but there's no other alternative for me with regards to my long-time Apple ecosystem. Again, it is what it is. Accept it or find an alternative. Hopefully next year.......

Last edited:

golfdude

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2005
That's unfortunate...but we all knew the 6+ isn't pocketable and not useable one handed. Can you imagine what it would look like if it was in your back pocket for an extended period of time. Find it hard to believe that Apple is going to replace this...unless Applecare+ covers it.

jcobb40

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
That's unfortunate...but we all knew the 6+ isn't pocketable and not useable one handed. Can you imagine what it would look like if it was in your back pocket for an extended period of time. Find it hard to believe that Apple is going to replace this...unless Applecare+ covers it.

They shouldn't replace it, obviously your pants are too tight! No way in hell that a reg pair of jeans or slacks would cause this. The OP probably shoe horned the phone into his skinny jeans and now it's bent. Sorry but it's true just not possible if you were wearing normal fitting pants.

You mean a store demo unit that has been used nonstop for hours and charging? Yeah typical phone useage, on a side note about heat and electronic devices, ever use a MacBook pro on your lap?

Valid point, maybe they don't get that hot in real world usage, except I was in the store in the morning less than an hour after opening.

Yes the pro's get toasty as well, but like my iMac, they're engineered to disperse heat in a hunk of metal that's quite a bit sturdier.

It just seems to me that if that is going to be how warm the 6 Plus normally operates, then given it's size and thinness that the heat could potentially warp the phone.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ

So I'll just be carrying my phone with me like a man purse... No one's doing that. Especially with the thinness these will fit normal jeans (not tight fit), most dress pants, and gym pants/shorts just fine. If you're concerned then buy a hard case.

golfdude

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2005
They shouldn't replace it, obviously your pants are too tight! No way in hell that a reg pair of jeans or slacks would cause this. The OP probably shoe horned the phone into his skinny jeans and now it's bent. Sorry but it's true just not possible if you were wearing normal fitting pants.

I agree with you but I don't own a pair of pants that a 6+ would fit in that I can sit down with for an extended period of time. It feels tight, was hanging with my neighbor that has a 6+ and I had jeans on, which have big pockets, I tried to sit down with it and didn't feel comfortable with it in my pocket, although I didn't push it. This was in a kitchen chair, can't imagine riding in a car with it.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
Valid point, maybe they don't get that hot in real world usage, except I was in the store in the morning less than an hour after opening.

Yes the pro's get toasty as well, but like my iMac, they're engineered to disperse heat in a hunk of metal that's quite a bit sturdier.

It just seems to me that if that is going to be how warm the 6 Plus normally operates, then given it's size and thinness that the heat could potentially warp the phone.

It doesn't get not enough to bend ...it's a handheld device. Before it got hot enough to bend, you would suffer serious burns. Apple obviously tested it enough to make sure that doesn't happen.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
You're putting it in your pants wrong.

;)

Or he's wearing Samsung pants. He needs iPants.

----------

It doesn't get not enough to bend ...it's a handheld device. Before it got hot enough to bend, you would suffer serious burns. Apple obviously tested it enough to make sure that doesn't happen.

Yeah. Just like they tested the iPhone 4 antenna, iOS7, iOS8 and tab reloading etc.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
6+ owners need to carry holsters or fanny pack. In no way should Apple use their inventory to replace this due to gross, willful negligence. You wanted the big phone, deal with the consequences.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
6+ owners need to carry holsters or fanny pack. In no way should Apple use their inventory to replace this due to gross, willful negligence. You wanted the big phone, deal with the consequences.

A tad harsh? I didn't read anything to make me believe that the OP exercised "gross, wilful (UK spelling) negligence". He put his phone in a front pocket, doubtless where he has been putting phones for years with no bother. I have always used an inside jacket pocket for storing my phones and they have never seen a pants pocket, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed in there. I live in colder climes where a jacket is generally required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.