iPhone 6 Rear Camera to Retain 8-Megapixel Sensor, Offer Improved Image Stabilization?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 9, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    iPhone camera module supplier Largan Precision saw its stock take a significant dip yesterday amid rumors that Apple will not be upgrading the resolution of the rear camera for the iPhone 6 later this year, reports The China Post.

The report cites analysts from Nomura Securities who indicate that while the iPhone 6 should see some camera improvements such as enhanced optical image stabilization, the device will continue to use an 8-megapixel sensor rather than a higher-resolution sensor in the 12-16 megapixel range.
    Apple first introduced an 8-megapixel rear camera on the iPhone 4s back in 2011 and used similar modules for the iPhone 5 in 2012 and iPhone 5c last year. Apple's 2013 flagship iPhone 5s model continues to use an 8-megapixel sensor, but achieves significant camera improvements through increased pixel size, a larger aperture, new "True Tone" dual LED flash, software enhancements, and more.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Rear Camera to Retain 8-Megapixel Sensor, Offer Improved Image Stabilization?

2. macrumors 6502

I'm waiting for iPhone 9, I heard it was supposed to be good.

3. Nik
    macrumors 6502

You are wrong. Apple first introduced an 8-megapixel sensor on the 4S!

4. macrumors 6502a

garylapointe

Lens!

It's not just the sensor that takes great photos. It's the lens too!

It's actually lenses that take up a bit of the space, right? FIVE elements in the 4s 5 and 5s.

Gary

5. macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

6. macrumors 6502a

This is the way to go. Thanks Apple!

I'd rather have really good 8MP pics than mediocre 40+ MP pics.

7. macrumors 6502

Sandstorm

I'm absolutely OK with 8 megapixels, much rather I'd like to see further improvements to low light performance and overall picture quality.

8. pmz
    macrumors 68000

Probably won't be called the iPhone 6...not such an attractive marketing name as iPhone 5. But then again, if they divert from the number scheme that rules out a 6S in 2015....and who wouldn't want the iPhone Success!

9. macrumors 6502a

More megapixels also requires more data center space for Photo Stream.

10. macrumors 6502

Ingot

Anything Apple makes, I will want.

End of line.

11. Editor emeritus

longofest

Maybe... but I've been feeling like Apple has been falling behind on the iPhone camera hardware a little too much. I'd like to see more substantial improvements.

One nice thing about more MP is that one could crop in and still retain decent resolution. That's a nice thing about Nokia's 41MP lumina. Only problem with that is that its a windows phone.

12. macrumors 65816

I hope you're not referring to the Lumia 1020. They're far from mediocre.

13. macrumors member

This is IMO the best decision as per the camera. It doesn't make sense to have a ridiculous number of megapixels and then stick a terrible lens in there. 8 megapixels means you won't use up all your storage after taking 3 pictures; and improving the optics will mean these pictures will actually be good.

14. macrumors 68000

BJMRamage

the size of the sensor is more important than the "size" of the Megapixels.

it was a bit surprising Apple didn't increase the megapixel...as they have and other phone makers have but at the asme time it seems silly to have 12-16-40 MegaPixels in a camera on a phone.

and When I had my first DSLR it only have a 6 Megapixel...and I have printed a 40+ " print...heck, even using photos blown up on a box truck wrap.

and who needs megapixels when too often people just make them crappy with instagram filters

15. macrumors 65816

BenTrovato

They already wrote articles saying 2013 was the year the iPhone camera finally replaced your point-and-shoot device so anything beyond what's in the 5S will be overkill anyway :p

16. macrumors 65816

While it is true that the amount of megapixels doesn't equal a better picture, it does seem to help with getting more details. I've seen this first hand from a Galaxy S4 with a 13MP sensor vs. my iPhone 5. It took much more detailed pictures than my 5 ever did. Still hoping that Apple will move up to 13MP and keep it at that. Seriously the only thing I miss from that horrible (IMO) S4.

17. Editor emeritus

longofest

Yes.. 4S = 8 MP. iPhone 5 = 8 MP with some "enhancements". iPhone 5S = 8MP with some "enhancements".

iPhone 6 = 8MP with "enhancements"??

I know megapixels aren't everything, but good luck telling the masses that the camera is really improving if you try that again.

18. macrumors 603

Technarchy

I'm okay with this. I don't need the larger photos.

19. macrumors 6502

How do you know they're going to call it the iPhone 6? :rolleyes:

20. pmz
    macrumors 68000

I tend to feel that way too...

...Except the iPhone has no passable optical zoom, so when zooming and cropping an 8 MP photo after the fact....a lot of the quality is lost. This is where more megapixels really shines.

21. macrumors newbie

seems MacRumors is forgetting the iPhone 4s, introduced 2011, with 8 MP already, the iPhone 4 (2010) had 5 MP.

22. macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

I think it is important to note, that the larger pixels are due to a larger sensor in general!

Bigger sensor over Megapixel for me ;)

23. Jsameds, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

macrumors 65816

For MacRumors this is actually quite late!

24. macrumors member

Unless you're printing pictures, you don't need double digit MP.

99% of photos being taken with the iPhone just go up on FB, Instagram, Twitter, etc.

Things that actually affect the photo (light, color tones, depth, speed) are what make the photos great, not the size of the file.

25. macrumors 6502a

gto55

Samsung, LG, Motorola... reactions
    [​IMG]

Apple fans reactions
    [​IMG]