Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apple first introduced the 8 megapixel sensor in the iPhone 4S in October 2011 the day before Steve Jobs died. Please correct the article.

Last year everyone was calling for a sensor upgrade. Now we're hearing rumors of no sensor upgrade. So there will probably be a sensor upgrade.

Surely sensor technology has progressed to the point that we can have more megapixels without a reduction in quality and/or noise levels. In three years they went from the A4 to the A7 64-bit powerhouse. What's the deal with imaging sensors? Canon has been behind lately on this too. My 7D came out in 2009 at 18MP and the flagship Canon 1D X is still at 18MP and the 5D MkIII is at 22MP, even though their full-frame sensors have more space. Nikon on the other hand has 36MP sensors that look decent. Apples and oranges comparison but seems like there is a general slowdown in the megapixel wars across the board.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Yes.. 4S = 8 MP. iPhone 5 = 8 MP with some "enhancements". iPhone 5S = 8MP with some "enhancements".

iPhone 6 = 8MP with "enhancements"??

I know megapixels aren't everything, but good luck telling the masses that the camera is really improving if you try that again.

You made two posts in as many minutes that put megapixels on a pedestal as if they are the only measure of improvement. Then take all of the insanely great innovation that Apple has done with mobile camera generations and chalk them up as "enhancements". Pretty irresponsible.

The general public? What do they know about cameras? Photographers (of which I am one) are thoroughly impressed, especially with the 5 and overwhelmed with the 5S.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
8 mp is adequate enough. What will be great is a bigger image sensor
To allow more light in.

MonsieurA

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
I personally love the iPhone camera, but this statements irks me:

Apple's 2013 flagship iPhone 5s model continues to use an 8-megapixel sensor, but achieves significant camera improvements through increased pixel size, a larger aperture, new "True Tone" dual LED flash, software enhancements, and more.

And more? And more? What does that mean? There is no "more". You've literally listed every single improvement of the camera in the 5s, still you feel the need to add the equivalent of "etc." at the end of the phrase.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013

And more? And more? What does that mean? There is no "more". You've literally listed every single improvement of the camera in the 5s, still you feel the need to add the equivalent of "etc." at the end of the phrase.

i was going to say slow-mo and burst ... but those are software improvements lol, you are correct

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton

"And more" refers to magic.

Avieshek

Suspended
Dec 7, 2013
India
The so called 41MP Nokia Lumia is actually an 8MP camera but rather simultaneously takes 3 photos of 3MP, 5MP & 8MP than combine their pixels to form a 41MP photo.

Moreover, 99% of the people use their camera photo for Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and not print them like the pro-Photographers.

Recently, Apple acquired a tech company that allows to take full-resolution photos at 30fps it's almost capable of taking a video at an almost 4K resolution. It costed $1 but later pulled off from the App Store. With further enhancement under Apple Labs, one just might be able to take 4K resolution videos with just the 8MP camera.

A 4K resolution photo at 16:9 will be 8.3MP

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You are wrong. Apple first introduced an 8-megapixel sensor on the 4S!

Yep, thanks...fixed.

I left out specific mention of the new ISP in the A7 that allows for faster capture and focus. Slo-mo is also more than just software tweaks.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Wish they'd just enlarge the sensor and go to 10-12.

here we go. iPhone 6 talk already :rolleyes:

The iPhone 5S has been out for a long time now... usually we start hearing about the next gen before the upcoming gen's even hit shelves... this is surprising to you how?

More megapixels also requires more data center space for Photo Stream.
Photostream uses reduced res images.

Anything Apple makes, I will want.

End of line.

They make a lot of waste as a byproduct. Interested?

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Suddenly the appeal of the iPhone 6 starts to diminish.

Same here. I don't like the curved glass and that there is no more home button.

But, the wrist strap is a clever idea. And, the included home stand was a big surprise together with the keyboard it's all really useful now.

That A12 chip in it really moves although with only 512 GB again, not appealing.

Also wish it wouldn't only come in hot pink.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Maybe... but I've been feeling like Apple has been falling behind on the iPhone camera hardware a little too much. I'd like to see more substantial improvements.

One nice thing about more MP is that one could crop in and still retain decent resolution. That's a nice thing about Nokia's 41MP lumina. Only problem with that is that its a windows phone.

The Nokia is a mutant configuration with a hump that sells in very low volumes; a design tradeoff.

Apple's iPhone is thin and OIS would be a welcome addition, and improved low light performance would be more useful to everyone than more MP.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I left out specific mention of the new ISP in the A7 that allows for faster capture and focus. Slo-mo is also more than just software tweaks.

Exactly. The A7 contributes to some of the camera improvements in the 5S (the FX you noted), so there is “and more ...”, that’s not software, there's advancements from the supporting hardware outside of the camera unit itself. :)

i was going to say slow-mo and burst ... but those are software improvements lol, you are correct

You’re right, the poster you quoted is not. See above ;)

Bigger doesn't mean thicker.

Behave, this is a family site ... :D

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Who is Nomura Securities and what is their track record with Apple rumors?

OC40

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Chicago, IL
Moreover, 99% of the people use their camera photo for Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and not print them like the pro-Photographers.

This is absolutely correct. All of the whining for more mega pixels just to fill up your "friends" FB feeds. :)

Avieshek

Suspended
Dec 7, 2013
India
Yep, thanks...fixed.

Also as per iOS 7.1 One would 've 'Auto+HDR' while taking pictures rather being either HDR or Auto.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
What this really means is that the iPhone 6 will continue to start out at 16GB storage in the base model.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
I'm not exactly buying this rumor entirely. It could simply mean Apple is considering a different supplier, hence the panic from Largan.

And I would bet apple is still testing various camera modules and may not have even made a final decision yet.

As for what I'd hope for, I'd like an increase in MPs, but nothing like 40 MPs taking up all the memory space on the iPhone. I think most people would be happy with just a slight increase of 13 to 16 MP.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
8MP or not, the fact remains that the Galaxy S4 I had took way better pictures than the 5S does (my girlfriend has one, which I've used extensively). I don't know if that's due to a greater amount of megapixels (13 vs 8), or a larger sensor (I'm not sure this is even the case though? Probably not, if I remember correctly the 5S has a bigger sensor, come to think of it...) or something else. Some of you may disagree, but this is how I experienced it. I wouldn't want to go back to the laggy TouchWiz experience of the S4, as I prefer the iPhone iOS any day of the week - but the S4 did have an amazing camera and a beautiful screen, I have to give it that.

No matter what happens, I hope Apple will provide a truly remarkable camera in the iPhone 6.

puffy1980

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2010
More then happy with my 5S camera. Esspecially after coming from a 4S. Dont really see the need to up the megapixels, but would like to see slightly better low light performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.