Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
I'm not liking these mock-ups. Too much Bezel at the top, bottom and the sides. Can you comfortably use a phone like that with one hand?

I hope it is a decoy leak.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Just get rid of the plastic iPhones, plastic needs to be left in the past. If Apple started making plastic iPad's and Mac's again I would really start to question the future of this company.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Whatever happened to "Screens shouldn't be big due to usability issues," I thought Apple was set on the 3.5-4.0" screens?

That's what I assumed as well. But if customers want bigger screens, Apple is probably struggling to find a way to make them more user-friendly, trying to find a compromise between ease-of-use and size.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Why is the word "Alleged" not in the title? This is still no evidence whatsoever that anything has actually been leaked. Just because some Japanese website posted technical looking documents it doesn't mean that they are real. My son is a mechanical engineer and could make as convincing a blueprint on his Macbook without breaking a sweat.

Because MR discovered that OSX includes both a dictionary and a thesaurus? The word should be used to describe something illegal or undesirable but unproved. It is not a synonym for "rumored" or "possible" or "supposed," despite how it's used here in article after article. Just for laughs I checked the front page the other day for the use of the word "alleged." The count was something like 17 occurrences. Even if that was the right word, it would be overused, and it is not the right word.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Because MR discovered that OSX includes both a dictionary and a thesaurus? The word should be used to describe something illegal or undesirable but unproved. It is not a synonym for "rumored" or "possible" or "supposed," despite how it's used here in article after article. Just for laughs I checked the front page the other day for the use of the word "alleged." The count was something like 17 occurrences. Even if that was the right word, it would be overused, and it is not the right word.

Don't know what dictionary you use, but the first two in my dictionary are this.

Allege

1. to assert without proof.
2.to declare with positiveness; affirm; assert: to allege a fact.

This is based on an absolutely alleged design document. Don't know how you could reasonably argue otherwise.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Don't know what dictionary you use, but the first two in my dictionary are this.

Allege

1. to assert without proof.
2.to declare with positiveness; affirm; assert: to allege a fact.

This is based on an absolutely alleged design document. Don't know how you could reasonably argue otherwise.

Because I am totally unreasonable, obviously.

alleged |əˈlejd|
adjective [ attrib. ]
(of an incident or a person) said, without proof, to have taken place or to have a specified illegal or undesirable quality:

The root word for "allegation."

allegation |ˌaliˈgāSHən|
noun
a claim or assertion that someone has done something illegal or wrong, typically one made without proof:

So clearly, this is not an "alleged" design, if for no other reason than it features nothing that can be characterized as illegal or undesirable. It is simply a speculation based upon a theory and incomplete information, which is pretty much the basis for all MR articles. Of course that doesn't sound weighty enough so the word that sounds more portentous is trotted out, even if it isn't actually the right word.

And yes, I know, hardly anybody give a rat's behind.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Because I am totally unreasonable, obviously.

The root word for "allegation."

So clearly, this is not an "alleged" design, if for no other reason than it features nothing that can be characterized as illegal or undesirable. It is simply a speculation based upon a theory and incomplete information, which is pretty much the basis for all MR articles. Of course that doesn't sound weighty enough so the word that sounds more portentous is trotted out, even if it isn't actually the right word.

And yes, I know, hardly anybody give a rat's behind.

I have neither the time nor the patience to debate you on this (not upset, but as you intimated (another tasty word) this is really a pedantic exchange), so I will leave with this. Your definition was:
"alleged |əˈlejd|
adjective [ attrib. ]
(of an incident or a person) said, without proof, to have taken place or to have a specified illegal or undesirable quality:"

So, I will stand by my statement that this is based on a design document that they said they got from Apple without proof that it took place. Hence, Alleged.

My real issue was not that they use alleged, but that they didn't use any qualifier. I would have been just as happy with purported, rumored or a similar adjective to put the validity of the document in it's proper light.

And for the record, most of what you say on these boards is quite reasonable, it was not meant to suggest otherwise :)

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Just get rid of the plastic iPhones, plastic needs to be left in the past. If Apple started making plastic iPad's and Mac's again I would really start to question the future of this company.

Have you actually felt a 5C? It is very solid and doesn't feel much like plastic. The only problem I have with it is the colors. No one complains about the plastic in the first few generation iPhones. I never saw them (my first iPhone was the 4S) but all of the comments I have seen about them like their build quality.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I have neither the time nor the patience to debate you on this (not upset, but as you intimated (another tasty word) this is really a pedantic exchange), so I will leave with this. Your definition was:
"alleged |əˈlejd|
adjective [ attrib. ]
(of an incident or a person) said, without proof, to have taken place or to have a specified illegal or undesirable quality:"

So, I will stand by my statement that this is based on a design document that they said they got from Apple without proof that it took place. Hence, Alleged.

My real issue was not that they use alleged, but that they didn't use any qualifier. I would have been just as happy with purported, rumored or a similar adjective to put the validity of the document in it's proper light.

And for the record, most of what you say on these boards is quite reasonable, it was not meant to suggest otherwise :)

The words allege/alleged/allegation have always implied an accusation of wrongdoing. I suppose we could also call the person who came up with the design theory the "perpetrator," as he or she brought it about, and technically that's one of the definitions of the word. But I think we know what the word implies in its most common usage, so to do that would make the meaning less clear. Why would anyone want to do that?

My problem with this is the massive overuse of the word "alleged," especially in a place where it is far from the best choice. My other problem is about half the time it's used here to modify the wrong noun (as in, "alleged photo of new iPhone part"). This is actually a fairly hilarious grammatical error, because it's saying the photo itself is alleged, not the iPhone part. Maybe it isn't a photo at all!

Sure, I am being a bit pedantic, but if I was writing articles for thousands of people to read, I'd argue that a little pedantry isn't such a bad idea. Some applied pedantry would save a few face-palm moments for the two or three dozen people who still care about clear and correct writing.

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
"A all aluminum back would cause antenna issues" Wasn't the very first iPhone all aluminum?

I'm guessing you never looked very carefully.

Attachments

• rachel2.jpg
    rachel2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 194

Koolaid74

macrumors member
May 13, 2011
I'm all for this. If the 5C had the exact same guts with fingerprint sensor, I would have preferred it over the 5S. 5S's metal case with sharp edges doesn't feel good in my hands. 5C feels much better and thus feel thinner (when in fact it's a tiny bit thicker than 5S) and sturdy.

The reasons why the 5C did not sell well is because it is not considered the "premium" model and the specs are a year old, same as the original iPhone 5. The next iPhone will sell well regardless of what the case is made of. (metal, plastic, or glass) I do not understand why people keep insisting on metal body, (scratches easily) or glass body (cracks easily). Of course, any plastic phone, people will will call it, "cheap." iPhone 3/3S had plastic cases and many loved them.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
they'll probably not release a 6c, but instead will keep last year's 5c and sell it at the same price as before. the same thing that they've been doing with the ipad 2 up until recently.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Have you actually felt a 5C? It is very solid and doesn't feel much like plastic. The only problem I have with it is the colors. No one complains about the plastic in the first few generation iPhones. I never saw them (my first iPhone was the 4S) but all of the comments I have seen about them like their build quality.

Yes I picked it up briefly and have to admit it was better than any android plastic phone. My problem is more than I feel Apple has evolved past plastic, besides cheapo devices like routers and ATVs everything else is aluminum. I just feel it's a regression and it scares me a bit, where does it end? I really don't want to see plastic Macs again and plastic iPads.

I guess I wouldn't mind the 5C as much if it were actually a budget phone, but it's not. It's being sold the same price the 5 should/would have been and I feel it's a scam.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Once again the renders are inexplicably angled in the worst way, so they obscure the largest potential differences from the 5. Can we see the side or top view?

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I kinda like the idea of having a 4,7" iPhone, but I don't want it to be a C-device. I don't want to go bigger in order to get a premium iPhone.

About the color: blue is the only acceptable color other then black :D

The yellow iPhone 5C is awesome, works great with all the different color cases, especially blue, yellow, and black.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
There has already been 'leaks' of the back of the iPhone 6 and it shows antenna's going across the back of it on a metal back, like the HTC One.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
If they continue with 5C or 6C why don't they make the front the same color?

http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/news/2014/01/iphone_air_next_iphone_could_be_as_thin_as_6mm/

It would look amazing to me!

Been thinking that the entire time. It currently looks lazy and half baked. If you are going to use color, do it right and have the entire phone match. Even the 5 and 5s are off with their color tones and I still think the 4s looks better, at least the back is all one color.

Last edited:

hachre

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2007
Hmmm very probable.

4.7inch plastic phone with bezels, first out the gate.
5.5inch alloy flagship, no bezel (lcd to antenna band), with the dual flash, later...

I hope Apple doesn't repeat the iPhone 5C mistake a second time, like you would seem to suggest.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I hope Apple doesn't repeat the iPhone 5C mistake a second time, like you would seem to suggest.

Mistake? It was a ksuccess!
It sold better numbers than the other times they marked down 'last gen phones' due to their 'sprucing up'. And the sprucing up was a cheapening, so they made even better margins. The only disappointment is the apple bean counters had wanted to sell more.

hachre

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2007
Mistake? It was a ksuccess!
It sold better numbers than the other times they marked down 'last gen phones' due to their 'sprucing up'. And the sprucing up was a cheapening, so they made even better margins. The only disappointment is the apple bean counters had wanted to sell more.

I think they should offer the same identical phone in two sizes. Not skip on several features on the smaller one. They also don't remove features from the MBP 13" just to make the 15" more attractive now do they?

I have no problem with the iPhone 5c but it was obvious that most people chose to get the full-featured phone and the whole marketing idea of making a phone for people who wanted an alternative design didn't work out ultimately because at the same time they decided to cut features on the 5c. I meant that it failed in this regard, not in the business department.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.