Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I suspect that Apple is combining the two. Remember the "Megahertz myth" form the 1980's? I think Apple knows better than to brag about MP on a camera. I find that the improved camera is the main reason I jump on every new iPhone.

==

The cameras are great. As they say, "the best camera is the one you have with you"

Agreed

Megapixels do matter and will provide a better quality picture provided the sensor improves as well.

When most people discuss megapixels they are ignorant to the fact that you can get amazing photos without the 15/18/24/30 megapixels that are advertised. Megapixels matter when it comes to cropping and also how big you plan on printing. The majority of home users don't use their cameras (phone or otherwise) to shoot images they plan on printing billboards with. In fact, I would argue most of these photos are shared online - which 3.2 megapixels works just fine. More than fine.

The megapixel "myth" is akin to TV's contrast ratio.

It sure helps upgrade sales though.

I don't disagree with you (entirely). But when many people get excited about megapixels - they aren't getting excited about the right thing.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
The f/1.8 would be awesome, megapixels don't mean much but image size and how much light that hits the sensor.

There may be about 50% more light coming through the lens, but they will have to illuminate about 30% more pixels. And then, there's the loss of depth of focus. I hope they can make it all work great.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
if the 16gb will be the next 32gb for the same price and the next iphones will be the same spec only difference will be in screen size(aka ipad air and mini 2) everyone will be happy 100%

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Lots of rumours lately. Seems to be more than last year. Maybe an early release after all?

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Sadly, megapixels DO matter for marketing purposes, I know a lot of people that bash the 5S because of the 8 megapixel camera while pointing that the S4 has 13 megapixels :/

I hope they improve the front camera though.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Someone should tell Canon/Nikon this! Are they aware?

Yes they are aware, but like every successful company, they sell what customer buy. Wide aperture zoom lenses are very expensive to make, so fewer people buy them. A 24-70mm f:2.8 for $2,300 is too much for most to afford.

----------

Really MR?

Didn't you guys publish a report a few weeks ago that said the pixels weren't changing? Are you just publishing every rumor out there? Is there any vetting process?

A rumor is a rumor. MR usually publishes "rumors", not "reports".

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Lots of rumours lately. Seems to be more than last year. Maybe an early release after all?

lots of rumors that are not the same..some says 8 MP, some say 10Mp so not event close. The rumors from the post production will be all the same. So i guess the real rumors will be starting from May

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Someone should tell Canon/Nikon this! Are they aware?

If you meant they both are engaged in the meaningless Megapixel war: actually, they both have low-megapixel, comparatively large-sensor, moderately-priced (or downright cheap, see Nikon's P3xx series) enthusiast cameras:

P330
S120

etc.

----------

A manual aperture would be too bulky and add too many moving parts.

Yup, this is why not even Nokia's far bulkier high-end camera modules (not even that of the 808) have variable aperture. Not even that large a module could have housed variable aperture. Apple will never add such a thing, assuming there won't be a tech breakthrough.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
It just needs an SD card slot, NFC, host USB support, easily removable battery, barometer, FM radio, iris scanner, wireless charging, a stylus, a 6" display, HDMI port, and micro USB charger.

Apple obviously has no idea how to make a phone that anyone would want!

I don't want ANY of the gimmick features you listed above. Not a single one.

Maybe Apple knows it very well ....

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
To be honest, this isn't that big of a deal. Most people that care enough about photography to understand how f/2.0 vs. f/1.8 compare won't be using a phone as their primary camera.

I'd be much more interested in a phone that lasts 48 hours than one with an extra 2 mega pixels or f/1.8...

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
How the hell is a stylus or an SD card reader a gimmick?

I've got rid of a stylus to use my smartphone AGES ago and don't want to came back.
In the same way SD cards are just ridiculous in 2014 ....

Let those gimmick to Samsung droids ....

Renzatic

Suspended
Because Apple doesn't have them?

Good point.

----------

I've got rid of a stylus to use my smartphone AGES ago and don't want to came back.

So? You don't have to use a stylus now with modern touchscreens. But a pressure sensitive, fine point stylus would be a very, very nice thing to have, wouldn't it?

Having to use a stylus to navigate a small screen interface sucks, no doubt. Fingers are better for that. Having a stylus to use as a tool for drawing, note taking, digital art, or precise selection is all around excellent, and a boon to any tablet that supports them.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
The sensor size is so tiny that depth-of-field is going to be quite large regardless of aperture. In fact, I think f/1.8 on an 8x crop sensor (iPhone is around this, maybe slightly smaller) is something like f/11 or greater on a full frame sensor when it comes to DOF.

It has the crop factor of 7.21x, meaning it has -5.64 stops compared to a full-frame camera, resulting in 12.71 of equiv. aperture. (Computed by, say, http://www.computingbits.com/photography/fstop/default.aspx )

----------

Don't mistake resistive, truly POS styli to Wacom styli used by Samsung. Good riddance to the former. WRT the latter, it's no secret Wacom is so popular with artists / engineers...

I can only hope Apple adds Wacom support to the iPad Pro.

----------

So? You don't have to use a stylus now with modern touchscreens. But a pressure sensitive, fine point stylus would be a very, very nice thing to have, wouldn't it?

He obviously doesn't know the difference between resistive & passive (crappy) styli and (active) Wacom ones.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
It just needs an SD card slot, NFC, host USB support, easily removable battery, barometer, FM radio, iris scanner, wireless charging, a stylus, a 6" display, HDMI port, and micro USB charger.

Apple obviously has no idea how to make a phone that anyone would want!

You forgot Flash support. Definitely needs Flash support, or it's DOA like all other iPhones.

/sarcasm

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Good point.

----------

Having to use a stylus to navigate a small screen interface sucks, no doubt. Fingers are better for that. Having a stylus to use as a tool for drawing, note taking, digital art, or precise selection is all around excellent, and a boon to any tablet that supports them.

The term "gimmick" is way too bantered about on this site.

Any feature that someone doesn't think they have use of is immediately a useless gimmick that is being thrown into a phone and ruins your life!

I wish people would stop and think. Just because you have no use for a feature, doesn't make the feature completely useless. you dont have to use all of a phones features if you don't want to.

You dont like an SD Card? Don't put one in! Don't like a phones facetracking feature? Turn it off! its amazing the common sense.

But of course, On this site in particularly, Anything any other phone has that Apple doesn't have is a gimmick. Only things in an iPhone are a feature.

I for one preffer the method of throwing the kitchen sink in a device, and letting the user chose which features they would like to use, rather than have few features and being dictated which featureset I should use.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
To be honest, this isn't that big of a deal. Most people that care enough about photography to understand how f/2.0 vs. f/1.8 compare won't be using a phone as their primary camera.

I'd be much more interested in a phone that lasts 48 hours than one with an extra 2 mega pixels or f/1.8...

1, the iPhone has a pretty good camera. I'm a photo/videography enthusiast and still use my iPhone 5 extensively for shooting - it's THAT good. Of course it doesn't deliver the same IQ as, say, a large-sensor enthusiast camera (e.g., RX 100 Mk II) but is still good and reliable, nonetheless. Even more reliable than, say, Nikon's famous and, with cost-conscious enthusiasts, popular P3xx series. The latter is bound not to have the right focus during video shooting - something unknonw on iPhones.

Finally, the iPhone 5/5c and, particularly, the 5s have absolutely excellent panorama shooting. VERY few dedicated cameras come close.

2, "the best camera is always the one with you"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.