Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I don't buy those mockups.

I think a larger screen means the area with the home button goes away or at least gets a lot smaller -- essentially replaced with screen. I don't think Apple wants to make the iPhone substantially larger. I think they squeeze down the area above the screen as well.

I'm not sure what happens to the home button... does the whole screen click, Magic Mouse-style? Does it move to the side of device? Does it become a clickable bottom bezel (meaning there'd still be a bezel but a much smaller one)?

I guess the fingerprint sensor either moves with the home button or maybe just goes under the screen (the lock screen can just draw a circle on the screen where the sensor is so you'd have no trouble finding it when you need it... I'm assuming that it's not practical to make it large enough where you wouldn't need a target.)

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Yuck. Yuck. Yuck.

Next up - WE WANT 10" DISPLAY PHONES'.

Are people blind?

To each his own I guess. I'm not blind and I don't see a whole lot of difference between the existing 5/5S and the rumored 4.7" version. If too stretched and tall phones are your thing, I guess I can understand why you're so upset.:D

----------

Of course it will be wider, to keep the 9:16 aspect ratio. But proportionally the screen will be just as tall as the 5 (though the phone body itself could be trimmed down on the top and bottom).

Exactly!:cool:

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
I don't want bezel free. How am I going to put a case on? I like the raised rim protector cases to keep my screen from being flat on a table as my phone lives face down on my desk all day.

The leather Apple case I have right now doesn't cover the bezels.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
LOL!!! Too Big!! The 5S is already an effort to reach the power button. Not all of us are trying to compensate for something? :rolleyes:

Renzatic

Suspended
It's too big and heavy for a PHONE. It needs to fit nicely in my pocket...5.5" is way too big for this! My 4" iPhone 5 is perfect. I might put up with a slightly larger phone, but only slightly (4.3" or so), if it's slightly bigger but slimmer or takes up same space.

A 5.5" iPhone expanded up from the 5-5S design would probably weigh roughly the same as the 4S, if not a tiny bit less. To put it in perspective, the Galaxy S4 weighs 130 grams, the 5S 112 grams, and the old 4S a hefty 137 grams. Considering no one ever griped about the old iPhones being too heavy, I doubt weight would be much of an issue.

Size and pocketability would be the next concern. Though considering I could fit two 5S' in my pocket will room to spare in my well fitting comfortable jeans with room to spare for my keys and lighter, I don't think a larger iPhone would present many more problems there.

One handed usage would be the one real issue, because a 5"-5.5" screen would be a little too big for some people. That's why I think Apple should offer two models of the iPhone, just like they do with practically every other product in their catalog.

Yeah, there does come a point where a phone does become too big to use as a phone. 6" and above is pushing into tablet territory. But for 5.5" and below, it becomes a matter of taste rather than usability.

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
You can fit a 4.3inch display on current 5s whilst maintaining form factor and screen aspect ratio...

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I would think that the lack of a bezel would result in extraneous touch input while holding the phone. Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe we'd need to learn how to hold it. ;-)

Renzatic

Suspended
I would think that the lack of a bezel would result in extraneous touch input while holding the phone. Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe we'd need to learn how to hold it. ;-)

Probably more than what you'd get out of the current iPhone. Unlike the iPads, which you hold from the side, even a larger iPhone would rest in your palm, and your thumb would be hovering over it, pressing down. Lacking that 1/10th of an inch of bezel wouldn't make a difference there.

...but it could make the phone a little more fragile, since the glass would be right against the metal, there's nothing between it to absorb the shock if it falls on its side.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I'm more curious about the price premium Apple plans to charge for these larger phones. It'll be interesting indeed.

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
ugly mockups

The problem with the mockup is that they just zoom in the current screen. The bigger iPhone will be wider, hence have one additional icon (5 columns instead of 4) horizontally and probably one more vertically.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
The problem with the mockup is that they just zoom in the current screen. The bigger iPhone will be wider, hence have one additional icon (5 columns instead of 4) horizontally and probably one more vertically.

Yeah, somehow they need to again move towards the much more
harmonious form factor of the iPhone 4. As in, something like this:

formfactor.png

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
The one of the right makes more sense. If Apple doesn't widen the phone, I'm not buying. Plain and simple.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
So the top and bottom doesn't count as "bezel"?

Looks nice though, especially how the 4.7 model looks to be the same size as the 5S.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Neh. Gains enough vertically, but not enough horizontally.

0.6 vertical but only .3 horizontally. Can easily have another vertical row... but not so easily a new column.

It'd be nice if Apple does something more original and innovative though with the new space, while still giving the same quick access to apps.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
The one of the right makes more sense. If Apple doesn't widen the phone, I'm not buying. Plain and simple.

I still don't get this complaint. You realize the 5/5S is 16:9? Which is the same as all the competition right?

Last edited:

Swytch

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2006
These rumors have been around since the iPhone 4. And I've always said "Yes please!"

So I'll say it again, I'd love to have it, but I doubt it'll happen just because of how many times these predictions have been made and been wrong.

At the same time, that accidental touch theory for why it hasn't happened doesn't make much sense to me. Nobody holds the iPhone by the existing bezel - it's much too small as is. It's just an eyesore that needs to be done away with.

Well to each their own, but personally i think phones without a bezel are an eyesore, and these mockup pictures of an iPhone without one always make a the iPhone look terrible.

And you are wrong about the accidental touch theory, i have actually sen people holding the phone by the bezel, usually in the bigger part of the bezel next to the home button, pinching the phone to hold it, but still they do. And besides this, the theory is actually referring to the fact that when you hold a phone by the edges, your thumb naturally rounds over the edge onto the bezel, this is why you will notice smudge marks on the bezel after holding a phone by the edges (if you have a case this may not be an issue, but then i assume you would have the other complaint about removing the bezel that others have pointed out - most cases have a lip that covers this bezel - hence why most screen protectors are "case friendly" and do not protect the bezel)

And yes, since you are not the only one that prefers removal of the bezel, every year someone with too much time on their hands will make a mock-up and some story predicting the new iPhone will remove the Bezel. They do this with several other features too, i have never understood why, what pleasure do they get out of wasting their time to make up a rumor instead of just doing like everyone else and just commenting (if you want to be affective directly to apple) about how you would like a certain feature in a new iPhone.

Knowing Apple's secretive history, these people could be part of the reason we never see these features. Maybe Apple specifically doesnt change this feature so the final product wont match rumors... or maybe they dont plan on the feature anyways and these people are just helping apple be secret without knowing it. or maybe they are hired by apple lol...

BoneDoc

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
It's stupid to talk about screen size without talking about possible screen resolution. It's very UN-Apple to deviate from their projected screen size. So if it does get bigger, I bet it will have to quadruple the resolution to make that happen.

Judging by how A7 is able to handle retina iPad, I don't think it should be an issue.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple's iPhone 6 will reportedly gain a "bezel-free" display when it launches later this year, according to a report from The Korea Herald focusing on both the next-generation iPhone and Samsung's upcoming Galaxy S5 smartphone.

ImageMockup of iPhone 5s compared to larger bezel-free 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 sizes
No significant details about Apple's plans for the iPhone 6 are shared in the report, with the majority of it focused on the Galaxy S5 and only a few sentences noting that Apple is working on a "similar" prototype with bezel-free display and fingerprint sensor. Samsung will reportedly be using a more standard fingerprint sensor than the display-wide fingerprint scanner or iris scanner that had previously been rumored for the device.Last November, Bloomberg reported that the iPhone 6 was planned to feature a larger display with "glass that curves downward at the edges", perhaps alluding to a bezel-less design in which the edge of the device is formed by the display glass itself rather than a separate bezel. A report last month from The Wall Street Journal claimed that the iPhone 6 "won't include a curved display", but it is possible that both reports could be correct if the design were to include a flat display panel fused to glass (or sapphire) cover that curved at the edges.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Said to Adopt 'Bezel-Free' Display

Doesn't really look like an iPhone, if they just added that sidebar thing, id get the 4,7. OK, i will get it anyways but it would be nicer with that :p.

----------

Yeah, somehow they need to again move towards the much more
harmonious form factor of the iPhone 4. As in, something like this:

Dude! that looks amazing, yeah the iPhone 5 is long and the iPhone 4 is fat, i like that :p

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
As usual the people who don't want a bigger display assume they are the only ones Apple cater too. Get over yourself people.

If there's a market (which there is), then Apple will sell to it because they are a business and want to make money. It's pure economics.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I am pretty ok with it either way. The 5.5 inch screen is a bigger deal to me than bezel free. Whatever the design Apple comes up with I am sure it will be beautiful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.