iPhone 6 Said to Feature Faster Qualcomm MDM9625 LTE Modem with LTE-Advanced Support

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 19, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The iPhone 6 may incorporate Qualcomm's MDM9625 LTE modem, according to a new photo of the device's supposed logic board shared by GeekBar (Google Translate, via G for Games).

[​IMG]
    Originally announced in 2012 and featuring support for speeds of up to 150 MBPS and improved LTE networking, the Category 4 chip would mark an improvement over the Qualcomm MDM9615 chip found in the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5. The MDM9625 is also more durable than its predecessor, allowing for lower temperatures under heavy performance thanks to a refined 28-nanometer production process.

Along with those features, the MDM9625 includes support for next-generation LTE Advanced networks, which have yet to roll out in most parts of the world. News of the MDM9625's inclusion in the iPhone 6 also contrast a detailed yet sketchy report from VentureBeat posted earlier this month, which stated that the iPhone 6 would include a Category 6 LTE modem capable of 300 MBPS throughput speeds. That radio however was said to not include support for LTE-Advanced networks as featured in the MDM9625.

GeekBar also posted a supposed schematic from the iPhone 6 yesterday, which appeared to show support for near field communications (NFC) in the device. The schematic also references a NAND flash chip, which was originally interpreted by the website to be 1 GB of DRAM in the device.

Apple will announce the iPhone 6 at an event on Tuesday, September 9. The launch of the 4.7-inch version will probably follow soon after, as production issues may hold back the release of the 5.5-inch version until late this year or early next year. In addition to a larger display, the iPhone 6 will feature a thinner chassis, a faster A8 chip, an improved camera with stabilization, and more.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Said to Feature Faster Qualcomm MDM9625 LTE Modem with LTE-Advanced Support

2. macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

If the modem actually offers LTE-advanced support, good improvement!

3. macrumors 6502

sshambles

NAND flash memory is better than RAM I assume?

4. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You assume wrong. Ram is faster then nand flash storage

5. TouchMint.com, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

macrumors 65816

TouchMint.com

Do carriers in the us even have speeds that high?

6. macrumors 6502a

Who cares... I turn off LTE otherwise my phone doesn't last for 2 hours!

7. macrumors 6502

Mines always on 4G here in the UK and last mostly all day... well not all day but more than 2 hours.

8. macrumors 68000

Mattsasa

any idea if this Modem uses less power than the one in the iPhone 5 / 5S?

9. macrumors 6502

One is volatile, the other isn't. You can't really compare them.

10. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would hope, but I'm not expecting it as LTE radio seems to need to use a lot of power.

11. macrumors 65816

Great news. I think this might push me over the edge and persuade me to upgrade.

12. macrumors 6502a

this fits perfectly with the info our carrier (swisscom) is giving out. they said that while some areas here already support it, the first devices supporting this standard will come out this fall.

13. macrumors newbie

I've wondered many times what people need this kind of speed for?! I struggle to even see what people need more than 3G (HSPDA+ that is) speed for..., I get 42mb download speed on my VDSL connection at home and that is more than enough (enough to grab a TV episode in 1-2mins), rather than speed, latency is of more interest.

Even if someone says tethering you still don't need that sort of bandwidth, besides (not that it affects me in the UK) can you imagine how quickly the American Telcos would throttle you with that much bandwidth available to you, if they're struggling with their current subscriber base on 3G/4G...

14. macrumors 6502

sshambles

Hrmm, then why make the change? Thoughts anyone?

15. macrumors newbie

Jobs, Steve

Hope "they" will find a brand new kind of battery, a brand new kind of power.

4G, 5G, 6G, 7G networks... great ultra brilliant screen with Ultra Mega Retina resolution... but I need to charge it two times a day...:(

16. macrumors 6502a

That's a shame. The 9x25 has been shipping for over 12 months and the replacement for the following year, the 9x35 has been shipping in a rival handset since June.

The 9x35 supports dual band LTE carrier aggregation that many networks support (all three networks now in Australia) - although only a couple of handsets have feature it yet.

Carrier aggregation helps relieve congestion and gives a peak speed of 300Mbps. It's support on the network side is high as many networks already use two bands in towns. The 9x35 chip also has lower power consumption, as it uses a more advanced 20nm process.

Next year...

17. macrumors 601

t0mat0

18. macrumors 6502a

No, YOU assume wrong Mike. ;) NAND flash is nonvolatile, and RAM is volatile.
    BOOM!

19. macrumors 6502

Dilster3k

That's good and all but what's the point if the battery sucks.

20. macrumors regular

ironsienna

Well, we are talking about a newer generation phone than yours... I expect major improvements on battery life with the LTE on for the new iPhone

21. macrumors 6502

Does this mean they can sell the same phone here in Japan as the US? Would like to get one here and take it to verizon next year.

22. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

The article implies that the new chip would be more efficient due to the 28 nanometer manufacturing. Since the radio chips are the biggest power suckers in the iPhone, I imagine that Apple would like to improve them.

The rumors are flying fast and furious now. September 9 can't come soon enough!

23. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

yes T-Mobile and Att

24. macrumors 6502

a.roden

I'm no expert. But would it be weird to suggest that apple could be looking into using non-volitile memory as the RAM (although possibly slower) so that the memory doesn't need a constant power draw to retain its information? thus increasing battery life... Just a thought

25. macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Gee, what are you doing with it?