iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Limited to 5.5" Model as LG Struggles with iWatch Display Power Draw?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 17, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With conflicting opinions about whether Apple and partner GT Advanced Technologies will have enough sapphire crystal production ramped up for both rumored iPhone 6 models and the iWatch, Taiwan's Economic Daily News is now weighing in [Google Translate, via G 4 Games] with its own claims that only the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 model will include a sapphire display due to production limitations.

According to the report, the smaller 4.7-inch model will continue to use Corning's Gorilla Glass and represent the bulk of shipments for the new iPhone. From G 4 Games:
    [​IMG]
    The report also addresses Apple's rumored iWatch, claiming that LG Display has been struggling to meet Apple's demand of nearly zero energy use in standby mode for the device's display. From G 4 Games:
    Sources for the report reiterate previous claims that Quanta will be handling the bulk of iWatch production, although Inventec will reportedly also be helping out.

According to today's report, the iPhone 6 and the iWatch will be introduced at the end of the third quarter, roughly in line with rumors and Apple's recent iPhone launch history putting this year's introductions in the September-October timeframe.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Limited to 5.5" Model as LG Struggles with iWatch Display Power Draw?

2. macrumors 68000

nepalisherpa

Well, 5.5" it is then, for me!

3. macrumors 6502a

still getting the smallest phone. hardly think saphire will make that much of a difference anyways

4. macrumors 6502

BS if its not sapphire on the one that's a reasonable size then I'm not upgrading.

5. macrumors 603

roland.g

The other day Apple had plenty of sapphire in production and now they don't. Analysts don't know. We'll know when we actually know.

6. macrumors regular

These "reports" are all over the place. We won't know until Apple tells us.

I have a difficult time believing that they'd release two phones with the same name at (nearly) the same time and use two different materials for the screens.

7. macrumors member

bluestarCVO

Agreed! I'm not going to buy a huge phone just so I can have that best/latest features.

8. macrumors regular

thisisdallas

So first, Apple doesn't have the 5.5" model ready
    Next, they have both ready
    After that, they have plenty of glass
    Now, they've got only enough glass for the 5.5" model.

I'm just going to go out on a limb and say that both models with feature the sapphire glass and everything will be right on schedule. Honestly my guess is probably as good as these analyst guesses at this point.

9. macrumors 6502

You are right....I'm going to buy a huge phone cause I want a larger screen :p

10. macrumors 68020

poppe

What is a display in standby mode doing? I mean what is drawing power, do they keep the light panels warm so they are instantly on? I know nothing about screens so hopefully someone can shed some light on it for me.

11. macrumors 6502

sputnikv

i sometimes need to remind myself that apple hasn't yet shown off the phone. that's quite a testament to the quality of these mockups

12. macrumors 65816

I need that sapphire fix :D

13. macrumors newbie

Right...

They have enough sapphire glass for a bigger phone, but not for a littler phone. That makes no sense at all. This is just a rumor to convince people to buy the bigger phone.

14. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's because apple isn't spelling the beans - they're being as secretive as they possibly can.

15. macrumors regular

Total speculation at this point.

I love the story about Apple pressing for the display to do something that was previously thought to be impossible. That's the kind of stuff that will give them a moat for awhile while everyone else tries to figure out how to copy it. Forget sensors, if Apple could get the iWatch to have a fitbit-like battery life (1 week between charges), that would magical in itself.

16. macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Analysts talking out of their anals, as always.

17. macrumors 65816

Well, I think we have finally hit full circle. One of the analysts will be right, and they'll be looked at as geniuses who should be listened to for the iPhone 6S predictions next year. Based on their great iPhone 6 track record. :rolleyes:

18. macrumors 68040

i will hate Apple if they will focus all the premium materials only for the 5.5"

19. macrumors member

Does any of this really matters?

Glass is glass and it can be broken so if they use the glass they use now or this new sapphire, I'm sure if the phone falls from my hand and hit cement out side it will be a "cha ching" sound to Apple.

20. macrumors member

I hope this isn't true.

21. macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Who cares about other sizes.

The bigger the better. You can do so much more with it.

22. macrumors 68000

How do you know the names are going to be the same? :rolleyes:

23. macrumors 65816

JoEw

I don't want the phablet iPhone, but I do want a sapphire screen!

I am tired of screen covers.

24. macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

But what about the Dual Tone flash?

25. macrumors 68040

These iPhone stories are all over the place.

We still have yet to see a real leak of the 5.5" model. Most of the stories are that it will launch later than the 4.7" and be limited in supply.

The 4.7" model is definitely coming at this point. There have been too many leaks, and all signs point to yes.

As for the Sapphire, I do think they will not have enough for the 4.7" model. I think they will launch the 5.5" at a later date, and that does in fact explain this discrepancy. It will also carry a $100 premium.

The iWatch is without question having battery issues, but at this point Apple will be almost "forced" to launch it by the end of the year regardless of where it is at. It may not be perfect, but Apple needs something to promote the Gen 2 model anyway.

Personally, I just hope I can preorder the iPhone 6 online unlike last year. That was so ridiculous.