Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShootingStars

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2011
Hi guys, need some advice.

I have an iPhone 6+ that I dropped face flat on cement even with glass protector on. The screen protector for the most part is fine but the actual iPhone glass is totally shattered below. So using the phone isn't an issue; it's just hard to read text sometimes.

I have an AppleCare appointment tomorrow and was wondering if I should use one of accidental coverages to get a replacement for $79? Would they do that? I wouldn't want a screen repair; seems like a waste for $79. Or should I get the screen repaired by a third party instead?

I got the phone in November 2014 so Applecare Plus coverage expires November 2016. Any guidance would be appreciated .

Attached is picture of the damage below: http://m.imgur.com/d8boFMC

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
You could take it to a third party, but you would void your warranty and make the phone unable to use apple care later on.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What happened is exactly the kind of thing an ADH is for. Apple will determine if it's a repair or replacement. I suppose you could argue with them and you might get your way, but IDK.

If you get the screen replaced by a third party and you ever need warranty repair from Apple just be prepared to find out that your AC+ is void. Apple has ways to tell if there is a third party repair and if anyone else but Apple touches the inside of the phone you're done.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If you don't want them to do a simple screen repair, instead of going to an Apple store, just get a replacement via the Express Replacement Service.

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.