Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razor Time

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
Would love some feed back on those who have upgraded from an iPhone 6 to the iPhone 7.

Was the upgrade worth while or has it been a minor upgrade seeing as the phone looks very similar? Is the extra processing power noticeable in day to day tasks ie non gaming?

Mad4clay

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Minnesota
I upgraded from 6S to 7 and I really am loving the low light camera. It actually takes pretty decent pictures in crappy lighting, plus I love the water resistant feature. So for me yes, I'm glad I did it.

Ceviche Lover

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2012
Unless you take lots of pictures, it is not worth it IMO. Stick with your 6 and wait for Apple to release something that's actually worth spending 1k on. Your 6 can do everything the 7 can do(except for water resistance/3d Touch(a gimmick IMO).

Last edited:

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
...Touch id(a gimmick IMO).

6 has Touch ID. Though the 7 has the 2nd gen tech. Regardless, I disagree that it's a gimmick. Maybe you were referring to 3D touch?

Anyway - I went through the same debate as the OP, and ultimately decided to go with a 7 (which should be delivered today). Battery on the 6 was slowly going down the crapper, and the 7 seemed to include enough differences/improvements to make the upgrade worthwhile:

- double the RAM
- water resistance
- battery (as mentioned above - but supposedly the 7 gets a couple more hours than the 6s)
- camera
- 3D touch
- better screen (theoretically, though maybe debatable if you read the threads around here)
- haptic feedback
- processing power (though like OP I'm not sure where that's going to make a difference)
- stereo speakers (which I don't care much about, but apparently speakerphone calls are much better, which would be nice)
- little things in iOS 10 that don't work with the 6 (like raise to wake)

If I had a 6s I don't think I'd bother, but from the 6, the above was enough to convince me to pull the trigger. I also went for a higher capacity model because I was starting to bump up against the 6's storage limits.

USC_Gamecock

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
HTX
Would love some feed back on those who have upgraded from an iPhone 6 to the iPhone 7.

Was the upgrade worth while or has it been a minor upgrade seeing as the phone looks very similar? Is the extra processing power noticeable in day to day tasks ie non gaming?

The only reason I upgraded (to the 7+) is the volume buttons and switch on the left side of my 6+ stopped working. I don't see a reason to upgrade this cycle if your 6/6+ is functioning properly. I am pretty rough on my phones, and I don't case them -- so me expecting 3+ years on a phone was a stretch.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
I upgraded from a 6 to a 7+. I'm noticing some speed increase, 3D touch is meh. The haptic home button is nice. iOS 10 seems slightly smoother on scrolling. Other than that if your battery is still holding up no real need to upgrade.

lvxe

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
6 has Touch ID. Though the 7 has the 2nd gen tech. Regardless, I disagree that it's a gimmick. Maybe you were referring to 3D touch?

Anyway - I went through the same debate as the OP, and ultimately decided to go with a 7 (which should be delivered today). Battery on the 6 was slowly going down the crapper, and the 7 seemed to include enough differences/improvements to make the upgrade worthwhile:

- double the RAM
- water resistance
- battery (as mentioned above - but supposedly the 7 gets a couple more hours than the 6s)
- camera
- 3D touch
- better screen (theoretically, though maybe debatable if you read the threads around here)
- haptic feedback
- processing power (though like OP I'm not sure where that's going to make a difference)
- stereo speakers (which I don't care much about, but apparently speakerphone calls are much better, which would be nice)

If I had a 6s I don't think I'd bother, but from the 6, the above was enough to convince me to pull the trigger. I also went for a higher capacity model because I was starting to bump up against the 6's storage limits.

I agree. I also have a 6, and had a hard time deciding. I loved my 6, and can see myself using it another year. However, my lifestyle has changed. And for the same reasons as you (mostly battery, RAM and processing power), I decided to upgrade.
I'm getting my 7 Plus today, so I'm pretty excited.
I also agree that if I had a 6S, I wouldn't bother, the wait would be worth it.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Unless you take lots of pictures, it is not worth it IMO. Stick with your 6 and wait for Apple to release something that's actually worth spending 1k on. Your 6 can do everything the 7 can do(except for water resistance/3d Touch(a gimmick IMO).

(I know you meant 3D touch)

3D touch = gimmicky in iOS 9, useful in iOS 10.

To answer OP's question, it's worth it. Not worth it if you have a 6s, but definitely worth it if you have a 6 just for speed alone, not to mention the rest of the features.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
I went from the 6+ to the 7 and I love everything about it. I don't regret upgrading in the slightest. I'm with T-Mobile and the 6+ didn't support band 12, so that was a huge upgrade. The touch ID is 1000x better on the 6 than the 6+. The extra ram is a godsend. The rear camera is a nice upgrade especially since it has OIS on video. The front facing camera is MUCH MUCH better than the 6+. The faster processor is nice, and the water resistance gives some added comfort when using the phone after getting out of the shower or the pool.

If I had the 6S I probably wouldn't feel like it's much of an upgrade, but from the 6+ it's night and day.

Reactions: Ronnoco

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
I have a 6 Plus and I'm having a really hard time justifying the upgrade. I think it's probably because I preordered my iPhone 6 when it came out and about 7 months later I decided I wanted a Plus so I did an early upgrade. Then another 5 months after that I had an insurance claim and was sent a brand new phone. So technically my phone is only a year old for me even though the technology is two years old.

For my day to day professionally and personally this device still seems to be meeting my needs.

I'm eligible to upgrade since I own my device outright and don't have a device payment agreement or 2 year contract w/ Verizon so the only thing is if I want to spend $869 on a 7 Plus or just hold out.

schlaufox

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2013
the 7 seemed to include enough differences/improvements to make the upgrade worthwhile:

- double the RAM
- water resistance
- camera
- 3D touch
- haptic feedback

This, along with my choice to move from a 6 to a 7 Plus, is more than enough reason to upgrade.

Moving from the 6 to a 7 Plus:
  • Triple the RAM
  • A much longer battery life
  • Dual cameras, with true optical zoom, and Portrait mode (depth of field effect)
  • A higher PPI for the display and true 1080p

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
(I know you meant 3D touch)

3D touch = gimmicky in iOS 9, useful in iOS 10.

To answer OP's question, it's worth it. Not worth it if you have a 6s, but definitely worth it if you have a 6 just for speed alone, not to mention the rest of the features.

That is very much how I feel. I pretty much only used 3D touch to multitask (instead of double tap home) on IOS 9. With IOS 10, I use it nearly every time I interact with my phone.

Neart

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
I wasn't planning on upgrading from the iPhone 6 either but i went ahead and preordered it after the keynote and am happy I did.

It's slightly faster at day to day tasks, Touch ID is faster, camera is noticeably better, middle tier memory is gone from 64gb to 128gb, screen is better, water resistance is a nice extra, still getting used to 3D Touch but seems pretty useful in iOS 10 and you can probably sell your 6 for the price of the upgrade so doesn't really cost anything to upgrade.

Also Matte Black looks really well :)

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
I have a 6s and love it. It does all that I want it to do, and more. I have every intention of upgrading to an 8S next year since I think I can deal okay with the larger phone. It works so well with my watch (Original) for all the health and fitness apps. I have an Apple iPad retina and I hardly ever use it now and will probably give it to my granddaughter. My iMac, late 2012 ,is due to replacement if they ever get around to a new iMac offering.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It's been a mixed bag for me. I moved from an iPhone 6 to a 7 Plus.

The good stuff:

- Bigger screen. I've hardly touched my iPad since I bought the 7+.
- Loving Force Touch and the new Camera.
- Much better speakers for watching content without headphones.
- Raise to wake is awesome.
- Moving between apps and overall performance completely destroys my iPhone 6. The extra memory makes a big difference.

Downsides: A few glitches.

- Random audio issues; one example is Google navigation prompts starting at really low volume making it hard to hear them.
- Graphics performance seems unoptimized. Examples: Scrolling in Tweetbot is a bit chunky at times. Animations, such as closing apps to the home screen and the multitasking view hitch here and there. It's annoying, but livable.

I'm sure the downsides will be resolved over the next few software updates. Overall a great phone, though; I'm happy. :)

Ceviche Lover

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2012
OP think about it this way. Your phone can do anything the 7 can do except for 3D Touch, and be submerged under water. Do you NEED either of these things? Keyword here is NEED.

You're phone can take pictures, download apps, play videos, send texts and do anything else any other phone can do. Don't do it! LOL. 1k is alot of money to pay for minimal upgrades. Enjoy your paid off phone for another year and get some more life out of it.

I'll upgrade to the 7 if I lose my phone or if I break it somehow beyond repair. If not I'll just wait for the next version. Going from the 6 to the 7 is not like going from a 5 to a 6.

MotleyGrrl

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Chicago, IL
I upgraded from a 6+ to the 7+ and it really feels like a great difference to me. It's faster, much much louder, the camera is better, the 3D touch is fun and I like the home button. I'm very pleased. It feel like a totally different phone.

Razor Time

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I am going to keep my 6 for a bit longer.

MomMom1012

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
I went from a 6 to a 7 out of necessity. Over a year ago, I started having to use speakerphone all the time. Callers couldn't hear me otherwise. If not for the phone problem, I'd have to really think about upgrading. I like to think I'd hold out for the 10th anniversary phone.

But having the 7 in hand now, I'm really loving it. It's very smooth, call quality is excellent, wifi calling on verizon is a definite perk because of spotty cell service at work, texting seems more fluid, and the phone on a whole is snappier. I went from space gray to rose gold (my first white phone) and I'm really surprised how much I like it compared to the black.

NCWildcat

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
I only upgraded because of the deal Verizon had. If not for that, I would have waited for next year. Having used it for a couple of days now, I can't really tell any speed difference with launching apps or opening websites. TouchID, is crazy fast, and some of the features that started with the 6S are nice (Raise to Wake, 3D touch) but not must haves.

My big gripe right now is using the lightning earpods and trying to two-handed type. Now that the headphones are plugged into the center instead of the side, I can't get a good grip. On the 6, I could firmly hold it with my right hand and comfortably type two-handed. Not the case anymore, and I've never been very productive typing in landscape. I plan on getting the wireless earpods once they launch so my issue should be short-lived.

The battery seems slightly better, but not a huge leap. The 6 was a damn good phone, this a mostly minor upgrade to me so far. I'm happy with it, but could have definitely been fine without the upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.