Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While it remains unknown if Apple will ever release a new budget smartphone to succeed the iPhone 5c, which was a plastic-backed carbon copy of the iPhone 5, a new gallery of renders from 3D Future provides an early look at what the so-called "iPhone 6c" could look like. The concept smartphone essentially combines an iPhone 5c and iPhone 6 into one, which would seem like a logical move if Apple ever releases an iPhone 6c.

iPhone-6c-concept-800x600.jpg
The concept iPhone 6c features several design attributes adopted from the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, including a slimmer design, rounded edges, pill-shaped volume buttons, circular speaker grilles and a slightly protruding rear-facing camera. The smartphone also appears to have a 4.7-inch display and is pictured alongside the iPhone 6 for a side-by-side comparison.

iPhone-6c-Concept-1-800x480.jpg
It is important to note that these mockups are not based on any leaked specifications, design attributes or other information. Apple did not release an iPhone 6c alongside the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus last September, prompting debate as to whether the company will hold off until the iPhone 6s next September or eventually phase out the mid-tier model from its lineup entirely.

iPhone-6c-Concept-2-800x600.jpg
Apple is expected to release its flagship iPhone 6s next September. It was reported in November that the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus could have the "biggest camera jump ever" with a dual-lens, DSLR-quality system. The smartphone is still expected to retain an 8-megapixel rear camera and is rumored to feature an improved Touch ID fingerprint scanner with reduced errors. At this point, it remains unclear if an iPhone 6c is also in the works, but these artistic renditions provide a teaser of what could be.

Article Link: New 'iPhone 6c' Concept Teases Future of Apple's Budget Smartphone

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Is the use of "budget" in the title and article referring to when it's subsidized? Otherwise, it's still not really a "budget" device.

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
This makes a lot of sense. Even though the 5c got mixed reviews on its success due to awful analyst predictions, I know a lot of people who have the phone and really like it. A 6c created in similar fashion would make a lot of sense and be a good way for Apple to relegate the iPhone 6 to mid-tier status as it did with the iPhone 5 in 2013.

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I see them keeping the 4" colored form factor at the traditional $0 on contract tier. It will have updated (always 2 generations behind the newest) internals, this year it would be the current 5S internals. I see the $99 phone being 4.7" only with the last gen internals. Then the truly new phones being 4.7" and 5.5". At least for a few years.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
See the new $649 iPhone.

Now that the cheapo Nexus devices are encroaching on Apples premium pricing scheme. Expect Apple to raise prices to a new premium.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
To be fair, a $449.00 phone is not 'budget' at all. A true to the root meaning of a budget phone would be the Nokia Lumia 635. $49.00 with free shipping directly from the Microsoft store. The actual mockup is outstanding, though!

Last edited:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Does look really quite nice. The flat screen would be a welcome addition too - I hope Apple drops the curved glass finish. The glare you get forming on the curve is irritating.

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Why does the title call it a budget phone ? The iPhone 5c is not budget , it's a lower cost premium handset . It's just an iPhone 5 in a plastic case and the iPhone 5 was not a budget phone .

I hope there is a 6c , I think the 5c has sold well judging by how many I see in the wild .

iPadDad

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
I can't see this happening, I don't think the market responded well to the 5c at all

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Calling the iPhone 6C or whatever it may be called (and really therefor calling the iPhone 5C) a budget phone is from the outside perspective which doesn't understand Apple. The 5C was simply a different phone but it was never intended to be budget. Apple has time and time again shown its not interested yet everybody ran with the idea that the 5C would be a budget and was shocked/disappointed when Apple revealed its price tag.

If there is a 6 version, it will not be a budget device. Apple has said many times, they don't care about market shares and why should they? Look at their earnings report.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
That concepts looks like an iPhone 6 with a plastic back though.

But much cleaner. I’d have bought that instead of staying with my 5S. The ugly protrusion isn’t so pronounced. The grey bands have gone.
Shame the home button ring couldn’t be body coloured for the production model.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Looks just like my orange Nokia Lumia 1320. I only paid $264 for that one though. You know, "budget" phone and all.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Seems logical to make a 6c with coloured plastic but I think they'll stick with the 4" screen to differentiate it from the other models. I wouldn't be surprised if they extended the coloured plastic into the next iPad mini and iPod touch to create a range of cheaper more colourful products.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I thought of Nokia, too. But what's with that orange home button?

I really liked the design of the 5c and would have gotten one if it had more storage. The overall specs weren't as important to me. But I really liked the way it felt in my hand, the most comfortable iPhone to hold since the 3G.

That said, the 6 has many of the design attributes of the 5c, just in a metal body. I'm not sure if Apple would bother with a 6c. I imagine they'll just use the older models as the "cheap" phones.

AppleTecFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
N/A
It might just be me but I thought the iPhone 5c was a bit of a failure. I don't see why they would bring it back

I work at a carrier store and we sell quite a bit of 5C's to people who are entry level users or people who want an iPhone and cannot afford an iPhone

Gusjasso

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2013
They should release an iPhone 5cs based in the iPhone 5s, so we can choose an small iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.