Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Small screen and low-end are separate markets, and I hope Apple addresses them separately.

not to worry, storage upgrade is where apple makes more money. it would be same specs you will spend top of the dollar to get decent storage.

price point have to make sense where one could easily find used iPhone 6 for about $350 to $400 range.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I'd still take the 5s. I only noticed the need of 2GB on the larger 6 plus

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
If it costs only $100 less than the proper iPhone 6S then its going to fail like the 5C did. There just isn't a good rationale for a cheap iPhone unless its actually "cheap"... granted Apple won't make a throw away phone but a $399 price tag feels right (which means $499 is likely) and lets them compete overseas where people can't afford $650+ on a phone.

Though anyone who absolutely needed a smaller screen size will be pleased.

If it fails, then we know all the people who repeatedly posted that they wanted/needed/Apple was the devil for not giving them 2gb ram,Brit not prioritizing battery over thickness, and for forcing them to buy a bigger phone were full of hot air.

Reactions: KPOM

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
If it costs only $100 less than the proper iPhone 6S then its going to fail like the 5C did. There just isn't a good rationale for a cheap iPhone unless its actually "cheap"... granted Apple won't make a throw away phone but a $399 price tag feels right (which means $499 is likely) and lets them compete overseas where people can't afford $650+ on a phone.

I think the 5C was an attempt to breath some fresh air into the iPhone 5. Remember Apple's alternative would have been to carry over the iPhone 5 at the same price point. Apple underestimated 5S demand (though not as badly as Samsung underestimated the S6 Edge vs. the regular S6), and so they probably saw the 5C as a way to boost margins. I don't think they saw the 5C as a "cheap" phone.

Similarly, I think the 6C might just be a way to push the 5S pricing lower and give Apple a second release window (so they are not so dependent on the Fall launch). We saw the first sign of that in India. A 6C priced around $550 at launch, dropping to $450-$500 at the iPhone 7 launch should sell reasonably well.

Reactions: lkalliance

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
16 GB is a game changer... in 2007
I don't think Apple will up the base to 32GB anytime soon. If they did then many, myself included, will not shell out the extra $100 for the 64GB, which translates to a few billion very easy money a year for Apple.

A new 4" model seems likely, as several analysts are predicting first ever year on year decline in iPhone sales. I'd be very interested myself.

Reactions: surfmonkey

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
2GB of RAM? Nice!

I'm really hoping that iOS 10/X is a juggernaut that will utilize all of this RAM.

So then only the iOS devices made in the last couple of years will be able to run it? I'm sure Apple won't be so quick to render most of their current active products obsolete. The goal should be to make operating systems more efficient so that they can run well on even lower spec devices.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
you must have midget hands if the 4.7" screen is too big for you.
I'm 6'2 and I don't have midget hands and I wouldn't mind a smaller iPhone.
People really can't help what size hand they have.
Its like telling people to just wear bigger shoes or gloves..pants etc
and why does it matter to you what size phone someone else uses?
I think the really big phones are goofy but I don't care what anyone uses, just what works for them.

thewebb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2014
AZ
Would it seriously hurt Apple to just put some actual colour on their 'proper' phone line? Why even bother separating "Xs" phones and "Xc" phones? Why should people who actually like a colourful phone be insulted with being forced the inferior option?

And what happened to the iPod Nano 5G line-up? That was aluminum and still managed to be perfectly colourful. Where did that idea go?

I am really tired of this sterile subdued trend.
Why not get a colorful case or skin?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Plastic v metal.
Faster storage ? For what?
Have no speed issues with my 5S
Never had an issue with finger touchid

The only thing that is a con in the 5s is the battery.

There is a
Out of talk that the 6c or whatever it is called will be a metal phone. Faster storage speeeds up the whole OS. The 5S is an ageing phone, still very good but it will soon be quite outdated. I don't think iOS 10 will run brilliantly on A7 devices and iOS 10 or 11 will probably be the last versions for the 5S. The6C will have much better longevity, it will be faster, better camera probably, faster storage, faster processor, more ram for better multitasking, longer battery life, better Touch ID etc etc. better in almost every single way.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
can basically expect this by now.

Also, my theory on why Apple keeps their "base" storage levels so low is so they can push cloud storage. The more you push it, the more customers use it = the more space they need = they run out of "free" room = they purchase more storage = $$$.

It's sad, but I feel this is how Apple is beginning to think. Money first. Which makes no sense considering how filthy rich they are... But something is definitely off with their products and services lately. It's like they see everything (features, options, etc.) customers want, and instead of fulfilling, they miss the mark by that much.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
It's sad, but I feel this is how Apple is beginning to think. Money first. Which makes no sense considering how filthy rich they are... But something is definitely off with their products and services lately. It's like they see everything (features, options, etc.) customers want, and instead of fulfilling, they miss the mark by that much.

Nah... they have always been that way or even worse when it came to their mac lineup. Base line RAM was always close to starvation.

Reactions: stanman64

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015

This is not Android.

It's not meant to be cheap, it's meant to be small.

rumorsdan

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2009

Apple don't have to launch an innovative product anymore. Instead they release 'new' products with baby steps in improvement. And they sell like hot cakes because they have the reputation on the board. Everyone needs to learn to lower you expectations.

The rich like to get richer.

ps. can't wait for the new phone.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Nah... they have always been that way or even worse when it came to their mac lineup. Base line RAM was always close to starvation.

I suppose I haven't been around long enough to notice this...

Apple don't have to launch an innovative product anymore. Instead they release 'new' products with baby steps in improvement. And they sell like hot cakes because they have the reputation on the board. Everyone needs to learn to lower you expectations.

The rich like to get richer.

ps. can't wait for the new phone.

That is one thing I have noticed I need to do.

But yeah, haven't lost any faith in Apple. Still absolutely love the company and genuinely get excited for its products. T-minus ~9mos to the iPhone 7!

Jeff R

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
I don't see why Apple would put an A9 instead of an A8. The A8 is more than adequate, saves on costs and is still being produced for the Apple TV.

A8 is 2014 tech. A9 will be last years tech when the 6C comes out in 2016.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.