Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone-6-Camera1.png
Kevin King, IHS Technology Research Director for China, claimed on Chinese microblogging service Weibo that Apple's next-generation iPhone will feature a 12-megapixel rear-facing camera with smaller pixels (via G4Games), corroborating the same prediction made by well-informed KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo earlier this week.

Apple has used an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera sensor since the iPhone 4s was released in late 2011, so the megapixel bump will be the first in nearly four years if the pair of analysts are correct. Prior to that, the iPhone 4 had a 5-megapixel camera and the iPhone 3GS had a 3-megapixel shooter. Given that megapixels don't always matter, however, software improvements are often more important for image quality.

Last November, well-known Apple pundit John Gruber of Daring Fireball said the next iPhone could have "the biggest camera jump ever" with a dual-lens system that delivers DSLR-quality imagery, but a later report dismissed the rumor since Apple would need to redesign the current chassis of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, which is unlikely for this year's refresh based on the history of "S" models.

Apple's next-generation iPhones are rumored to retain 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch screen sizes, powered by an A9 processor with 2GB of LPDDR4 RAM and featuring Force Touch, improved Touch ID recognition, gesture control support, an additional microphone near the speakers for improved voice quality, a new rose gold color option, internal mechanical design changes and more.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone Again Rumored to Have 12-Megapixel Camera

sampaul

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Philadelphia
As long as it's gonna have 2GB RAM, which it does according to the report, I am gonna buy the next iPhone. Otherwise Force Touch, 12 MP camera, doesn't interest me much.

BCWorld

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2011
Atlanta GA
Dang. Is Macrumors struggling??? I think this "Rumor" was already posted like last month?? Every time I come to this site, its either an old rumor or about the Apple Watch.. Sheesh :confused:

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
Is Ming paying Macrumors? He's always described as "well-informed Ming" or in some other way like that. Why does he get a fancy introduction every time? Almost like they're trying to convince us he's accurate.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Where's the people who said 4k video was pointless when other phone manufacturers bumped their megapixels?

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Fine - if they make 32GB the lowest capacity in order to compensate for the larger file sizes, although I bet they wont...

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Fine - if they make 32GB the lowest capacity in order to compensate for the larger file sizes, although I bet they wont...

Least they have iCloud Photo Library - a little cheaper to get GB via that than the $100 upgrade for more GB on the iPhone

Just one back sensor? The dual sensor mashup for better photo rumour sounded kinda neat.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Last November, well-known Apple pundit John Gruber

When a reporter feels compelled to put "well-known" before the person's name, that person isn't really well-known at all.

Otherwise, you'd see reporters making reference to "well-known movie actor George Clooney," "well-known fiction writer Stephen King," "well-known singer Taylor Swift," etc.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Where's the people who said 4k video was pointless when other phone manufacturers bumped their megapixels?

4k video capture will only get a 'wow' factor if the image sensor is large enough to make those megapixels worth it. so shooting 4k vid on a smartphone won't matter much (at this point) no matter which phone you use.

4k is meant for professional video capture, not casual smartphone libraries.

having said that, if they improve both sensor and up the MP by another +4, it could very well be leaps and bounds a better improvement than usual.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
I just hope it allows us to shoot at 16:9 instead of 4:3... I hate having to crop my 4:3 pictures into 16:9 and not have that wide angle view :mad:

AlterZgo

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
Apple needs to allow you to change the picture resolution if they are going with a 12 megapixel sensor. Last thing I need is to send and store 12 megapixel camera pictures. My iDevices already have a ridiculous amt of "other" taking up massive amts of space.

Reactions: jkruehne

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Apple needs to allow you to change the picture resolution if they are going with a 12 megapixel sensor. Last thing I need is to send and store 12 megapixel camera pictures. My iDevices already have a ridiculous amt of "other" taking up massive amts of space.

sounds like 32gb base model may be in the work :eek:

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I just hope it allows us to shoot at 16:9 instead of 4:3... I hate having to crop my 4:3 pictures into 16:9 and not have that wide angle view :mad:

You actually get more field of view on an iPhone in 4:3 than a cameraphone that shoots in 16:9. Other phones just crop the picture like you are doing manually so you lose some of the image.

But if you're happy with that there must be a 3rd party camera app somewhere that can shoot in cropped 16:9.

Last edited:

Jason83

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
PA, USA
Is Ming paying Macrumors? He's always described as "well-informed Ming" or in some other way like that. Why does he get a fancy introduction every time? Almost like they're trying to convince us he's accurate.

Careful I got yelled at for questioning his accuracy lol

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
As long as it's gonna have 2GB RAM, which it does according to the report, I am gonna buy the next iPhone. Otherwise Force Touch, 12 MP camera, doesn't interest me much.

Yeah exactly, and as soon as Apple comes out with iOS9 that commands more ram then you and the other "2GB of ram wishers" will be clamoring for 4GB. It never ends.

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
Ming-Chi Kuo has about a 40% accuracy rate. Other analysts run around 30%. Why is he well-respected again? I believe the title you're looking for is "slightly less full of it."

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Ahh... better looking Cat videos and 10MP more than you need to make a good photo.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.