Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Umm, so this supposed to be less scratch sensitive, while yours have many visible scratches.

But black surface should be easier from being affected by scratch.

Maybe on aluminium finish, scratches could be less visible.

The kind of coating apple used made it vulnerable to scratches.

You can google the issues with the slate to see for yourself.

Reactions: Menneisyys2

cwt1nospam

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
The galaxy s6 takes the best pictures overall over any other phone at the moment.a web site just did a blind test with a bunch of photos using both phones and some had 5000 votes to 40 votes to the iPhone.
Well, if a web site said it, then it must be true! It's not like that "web site" might have a biased user base. I'm sure it's not an Android fan site, or run by Samsung! :eek: And why does that result remind me of Saddam Hussein getting 100% of the vote in his "re-election"?

Meanwhile, in the real world, Apple is the largest camera company in the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: AppleFan78

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
There are a few glasses-less 3D sets out there. Maybe that will be the future. IIRC, the new Avatar is going to be glasses-less 3D.

Glasses-free 3D is probably a right step for more consumer adoption, but that doesn't change anything about the original point I was trying to make. The ultimate 3D effect is one where you can see parallax if you physically move your head/change your perspective. Until something like that happens, then any improvements to what we currently call 3D viewing is still just polishing a visual effect. And that visual effect is unnecessary to begin with since our brains can already distinguish depth in a 2D image. When we finally do get content that can be presented in true 3D, then it's going to be something wildly different than what we think of in regards to film/tv content. It will be an all new medium.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Well, if a web site said it, then it must be true! It's not like that "web site" might have a biased user base. I'm sure it's not an Android fan site, or run by Samsung! :eek:

Meanwhile, in the real world, Apple is the largest camera company in the world.

It was a blind camera test.the users had no idea what phone took each picture.how unbiased can you get?

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
4k is being pushed down consumers throats because television sales are dwindling. 3D was supposed to be the next thing to put money in the pockets of the television industry, but it failed miserably. They've now moved on to 4k (UHD) as their next transition in television production. Everybody THINKS they want 4k, because of the marketing, but they haven't actually had to deal with 4k file sizes, the lack of ecosystem to support 4k, and the barely perceivable difference when casually watching 4k content.
As a professional video producer for 19 years, transitioning from analog SD to digital SD to digital 16x9 to HD, this is the most trivial transition yet. At NAB this year they were already pushing 8k hard, which is going to be the next step to try and pull more money out of consumers. I've got a few professional level ($35,000 each) 4k cameras, and they're really only good for shooting a wide shot and then cropping multiple HD images out of the one 4k shot.

Exactly. On a 40-50" TV, 4K doesn't even make sense. You don't visually benefit from the increase in resolution, but you need a lot more storage capacity for those much larger 4K video files. 4K is basically "plan B" for TV manufacturers after "plan A" which was 3D failed so miserably. They could have concentrated on 4K a few years ago, but probably figured that 3D would be more of a "wow" feature for consumers.

cwt1nospam

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
It was a blind camera test.the users had no idea what phone took each picture.how unbiased can you get?
Who says it was blind? The site? Samsung's been caught rigging everything from sales numbers to user satisfaction scores. What makes this any different? And why not just make it 5000 to 0? It would be just as believable.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Who says it was blind? The site? Samsung's been caught rigging everything from sales numbers to user satisfaction scores. What makes this any different? And why not just make it 5000 to 0? It would be just as believable.

This is not Samsung saying it.it was phonearena
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...ones-6-in-our-blind-camera-comparison_id70614

You can also view the poll votes for each blind picture.people picked without knowing what was each phone.

How can you rig a blind picture poll without knowing what phone took each picture untill after the poll is over?

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
iPhone 7 will be the bomb.
I'll get the iPhone 7.
First thing I'll do on the camera app...turn off 4K video lol.

Hopefully by then they'll have split screen multitasking on the iPhone 7 plus. Maybe that will convince me to switch up.

Otherwise, I'll stick with the regular 7, with, presumably, a 1080p screen

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Hey buddy I was getting 100mb/sec on Verizon xlte a year and a half ago on my gs5 and gs4

Keep living in your walled garden and only accepting what apple gives you.here is what you have been missing out on! Welcome to the modem the gs5 had and the gs6 blows it away with the Samsung Shannon 333 modem in the gs6.

Here is my gs5 on that network that you seem to think is not ready and was done last year way before the gs6 came out.

. View attachment 565778
good for you man, im sure facebook posts load faster on your phone than mine?
Give it a rest, phones are mature at this point, any differences in features are negligible.
what isnt negligible however, is polish and attention to detail. How well thought out are the features and their implementation?
neither company is perfect at that, but I give the edge to Apple, and am willing to pay a premium for that.

that's that. This whole 'walled garden' BS is so 2009-2010. Aka 5 years ago. It's old irrelevant news.

cwt1nospam

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
This is not Samsung saying it.it was phonearena
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...ones-6-in-our-blind-camera-comparison_id70614

You can also view the poll votes for each blind picture.people picked without knowing what was each phone.

How can you rig a blind picture poll without knowing what phone took each picture untill after the poll is over?
You're not helping your argument. The "poll" is over, and nothing I see on that site is blind. What's more, a site like that has a clear motivation for an Android system to win: the discussion can be about manufacturer A vs B lens vs lens and sensor vs sensor instead of platform vs platform and ecosystem vs ecosystem. That's real money to them.

Maybe it's possible to view the polls, but that site is so ugly and cluttered that I can't find it. It makes me seriously question the aesthetics of anyone who can.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
so we know all about the next iphone
-A9 14nm triple core
-2Gb Ram
-Force Touch
-Gsm chip 20nm
-Space Grey,Silver,Gold and Rose Gold
-32/64/128 storage
-1 extra hour battery usage thanks to the A9 chip+gsm chip

Plus a 12mp camera with 4K recording capability.

Possible:
Upgraded FaceTime front camera and series 7000 aluminum.

Definitely shaping up to be the most significant 's' update ever.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Plus a 12mp camera with 4K recording capability.

Possible:
Upgraded FaceTime front camera and series 7000 aluminum.
If they pull off 7000 series aluminium that would be majorly impressive.

7000 series aluminium is much harder to machine than 6000 series and so to do an iphone in 7000 series aluminium would require significant process changes.

Expensive process changes that Apple hopes to only do once every two years starting with the 3G.

Perhaps the introduction of the 7000 series apple watch sped things along here, but i dont know... seems too far out to produce to the iphone scale and quantity..

Would love to be proven wrong.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I love reading all the love for 4k and 12mp when the competition has been doing it for years and now all of a sudden its a new holy coming when apple finally does it.

I also read the 6s is getting the same modem the gs5 had lol all the hate when competition had it and nothing but love when apple finally catches up.
Again
I love reading all the love for 4k and 12mp when the competition has been doing it for years and now all of a sudden its a new holy coming when apple finally does it.

I also read the 6s is getting the same modem the gs5 had lol all the hate when competition had it and nothing but love when apple finally catches up.
Again the same crap comment that demonstrate utter disregard for how digital camera work and actual reviews putting the iphone camera/video combo in front with its 8mpx sensor all that time. Guess those 16mpx cam must have sucked hard then hey. Guess my canon g16 must suck too since its 12 mpx, less than those smart phones...

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
You're not helping your argument. The "poll" is over, and nothing I see on that site is blind. What's more, a site like that has a clear motivation for an Android system to win: the discussion can be about manufacturer A vs B lens vs lens and sensor vs sensor instead of platform vs platform and ecosystem vs ecosystem. That's real money to them.

Maybe it's possible to view the polls, but that site is so ugly and cluttered that I can't find it. It makes me seriously question the aesthetics of anyone who can.

OK man sorry I don't have a time machine to go back in time when any user could blind pic each picture of what they thought was better.I think you are the only person that thinks the gs6 can't take better pictures then the iPhone.

Reactions: Demo Kit

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Again

Again the same crap comment that demonstrate utter disregard for how digital camera work and actual reviews putting the iphone camera/video combo in front with its 8mpx sensor all that time. Guess those 16mpx cam must have sucked hard then hey. Guess my canon g16 must suck too since its 12 mpx, less than those smart phones...

Please by all means show me some credible unbaised site putting the iPhone camera ahead of the gs6.

Good luck

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008

The poll was obviously blind when it was first posted. What are they supposed to do, leave the poll open forever and never post the results?

balmeo

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2014
So 4K video recording implies HEVC encoding? As far as I know, nobody does it yet.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
good for you man, im sure facebook posts load faster on your phone than mine?
Give it a rest, phones are mature at this point, any differences in features are negligible.
what isnt negligible however, is polish and attention to detail. How well thought out are the features and their implementation?
neither company is perfect at that, but I give the edge to Apple, and am willing to pay a premium for that.

that's that. This whole 'walled garden' BS is so 2009-2010. Aka 5 years ago. It's old irrelevant news.

Wtf does your response have to do with you saying apple does it when it's ready and mature while Samsung had the same modem a year earlier and had networks taking advantage of it?

PS I use my unlimited data and hit about 30gb a month using all that bandwidth.

But its okay now for apple to get that bandwidth now right?

cwt1nospam

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
OK man sorry I don't have a time machine to go back in time when any user could blind pic each picture of what they thought was better.I think you are the only person that thinks the gs6 can't take better pictures then the iPhone.
And you don't? Sheesh, look at the pictures they show!!! The gs6 clearly got the colors wrong, as the same flowers in the back of the image are different from the ones in the front. Then there's their obvious attempt to be good under low lighting causing the images to wash out in normal light! They're crap.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

if the only defense you can come up with that your point is correct and the others is wrong is "conspiracy" you have no leg to stand on.

Unfortunately for Apple. or Fortunately for samsung. The Galaxy S6 camera has been regularly beating out Apple's iPhone 6 camera in most image quality comparison tests.

Nobody said the iPhone 6 camera was bad. It's a fantastic camera for a smartphone. But right now, as of the GS6, the GS6 Camera is just better.

This is good. Why? Because Apple will likely respond to this intense competition and upgrade their camera. Which further sparcs competition. And guess what, EVERYONE wins as the camera qualities everywhere go up

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
They were always saying samsung and other phone makers were adding useless features and that there was no need for such high quality photos and videos. But like you said once apple does it it's like the best thing sine sliced bread. Sometimes I feel like folks on this forum have short term memory problems.
They were always saying samsung and other phone makers were adding useless features and that there was no need for such high quality photos and videos. But like you said once apple does it it's like the best thing sine sliced bread. Sometimes I feel like folks on this forum have short term memory problems.
Their photos were not of higher quality except outside mid day in very good light. The first exption to that is the gs6 which finally has comparable low light performance than the previous iphone even with the higher resolution. That means that better sensor tech and processing has finally compensated the fact there is less light on each sensor pixels. That's the reason apple will do it; tech allows a better implementation with trading off res for low light performance. Waiting for the right time to implement and not doing it half baked like many others who pu big pixel count sensors years ago is apple's traditional way of doing things

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
w

Oh no, aesthetics are being questioned! Run!

Please by all means show me some credible unbaised site putting the iPhone camera ahead of the gs6.

Good luck

grkm3 - thanks for that link and your posts. Not that I read them. I'm seriously biased and my aesthetic principles... well I don't have any at all. Fortunately, despite my shortcomings, I was born with a birthmark that looks like the word samsung. Until now I didn't notice it and was mistakenly buying apple products. But now that I know my destiny, well, what choice do I have but the GS6.

Last edited:
Reactions: SirCheese

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
And you don't? Sheesh, look at the pictures they show!!! The gs6 clearly got the colors wrong, as the same flowers in the back of the image are different from the ones in the front. Then there's their obvious attempt to be good under low lighting causing the images to wash out in normal light! They're crap.

Go looks at the pictures with a super amoled gs6 screen in photo mode.I think your iPhone screen is showing you inaccurate colors.

On my gs6 the pictures look way nicer then the iPhone and colors are more balanced.

Reactions: Demo Kit

cwt1nospam

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
if the only defense you can come up with that your point is correct and the others is wrong is "conspiracy" you have no leg to stand on.
Have you looked at the images? Colors not matching from one set of flowers to the next and washing out under normal light aren't what I'd call better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.