Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
There's no way Apple would allow this in the United States. Have they always allowed it elsewhere?

It's the same here in the UK. That said even Apple itself is guilty of including apps that cannot be deleted if not wanted.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
True, but here in the US at least there aren't any pre installed carrier Apps like the OP has displayed above.

Yes. Like I said there aren't any carrier specific apps here in the UK either. That said it's not as bad as Android phone manufacturers using their own UI overlays on their phones which is even worse in my opinion. Though even Apple shouldn't be forcing apps on consumers by installing them with the OS especially when you can't even delete them.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
Yes. Like I said there aren't any carrier specific apps here in the UK either. That said it's not as bad as Android phone manufacturers using their own UI overlays on their phones which is even worse in my opinion. Though even Apple shouldn't be forcing apps on consumers by installing them with the OS especially when you can't even delete them.
Correct. The only way around manufacturers using their own UI overlays and carrier pre installed Apps on Android devices would be the Google Nexus line. Which is becoming more and more like Apple, with Google doing away with removable batteries and added storage. I see this year they are offing their own form of insurance on their devices that is very similar to Apple Care Plus.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
It's the same here in the UK. That said even Apple itself is guilty of including apps that cannot be deleted if not wanted.
I think there's a bit of a difference between possibly unauthorized (and against the contract) bloat-ware from third parties, and pre-installed apps by the developer, builder, and seller of the hardware and software (I mean Apple).

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Who's 'fortunate' enough to have bloatware on their new iPhone 6S/6S+?

I was forced to use Softbank for years (they were the only ones that sold the iPhone!) but I switched to AU for the 5S and 6, and now docomo for the 6S. The other carriers are VASTLY superior to Softbank in terms of network coverage, speed, traffic shaping (or the apparent lack thereof) and with the 6S Plus, even pricing. Softbank sucks, dude.

Reactions: Pathfinder3

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Technically they don't appear to be actual preinstalled apps; the text at the top of each icon says "download" so presumably they're links to the App Store.

Having said that, when I bought my 4S from Telecom NZ back in 2011, it had a few things such as the "T-World" portal preconfigured.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Connecting to itunes and clicking restore to factory default, and then upgrading to latest should wipe this - doesn't it get the source from Apple's servers?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Connecting to itunes and clicking restore to factory default, and then upgrading to latest should wipe this - doesn't it get the source from Apple's servers?
With my 4S the Telecom icons remained after a restore as they were part of the "carrier settings" bundle.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
NOOOOOOO!!!!!

image.gif

Reactions: TruthWatcher412

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I think there's a bit of a difference between possibly unauthorized (and against the contract) bloat-ware from third parties, and pre-installed apps by the developer, builder, and seller of the hardware and software (I mean Apple).

Not really. At the end of the day if neither is wanted and neither can be deleted it's pretty much the same thing for the most part irrespective whether they are official or unofficial.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Not really. At the end of the day if neither is wanted and neither can be deleted it's pretty much the same thing for the most part irrespective whether they are official or unofficial.
That's the way it is with iOS and that's, that. Personally I use most of the pre installed apps; which means I find them useful.

Reactions: marcococo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.