Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
Then how come people were saying the degradation in low light was a function of having moved from 8mpx to 12mpx? The 6/6+ were 8mpx cameras.
The fact that it exists on both phones shows that the megapickel increase wasn't the problem. As has been mentioned before, it's the algorithm Apple uses for noise reduction that is to blame.

NewdestinyX

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2007
The fact that it exists on both phones shows that the megapickel increase wasn't the problem. As has been mentioned before, it's the algorithm Apple uses for noise reduction that is to blame.
Ive read this whole thread and have not read that claim. Its all been about the megapixel necessitating the adding of more noise reduction.. But anyway.. Moving from 6S back to 5S over the camera is a loss of perspective - don't you think?

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
Ive read this whole thread and have not read that claim. Its all been about the megapixel necessitating the adding of more noise reduction.. But anyway.. Moving from 6S back to 5S over the camera is a loss of perspective - don't you think?
I'm not denying that. A few people on this forum had noticed this when the iPhone 6 came out, hoping for a firmware fix that would adjust the noise reduction. It's been 14 iOS updates and still nothing.

Reactions: Rocko9999

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
i own a serious camera too, yes, but don't like to carry it around everyday.

No such thing. The best camera is the one you have with you. The point is to capture the moment and produce something beatiful. The iPhone does that. There are still issues but there is no point Having a super duper camera if you don't have it when you need it.

For that reason even a point a shoot disposable camera is good if you have it with you.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
Actually I experience the "Monet Watercolors" effect via noise reduction on my iPhone 5s just as badly as on the IPhone 6+ and now the 6S Plus. I had thought there was something wrong with my iPhone 5s after pics shot in a fairly well-lit indoor setting at a birthday party ended up ruined because they looked like paintings rather than photos. So I tested my husband's iPhone 5s under similar lightning condition and got the same effect. This has been going on a long time.

What version of iOS do you and your husband use on your iphone 5s's? I'm curious if upgrading from iOS 7 might make a difference.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
Actually I experience the "Monet Watercolors" effect via noise reduction on my iPhone 5s just as badly as on the IPhone 6+ and now the 6S Plus. I had thought there was something wrong with my iPhone 5s after pics shot in a fairly well-lit indoor setting at a birthday party ended up ruined because they looked like paintings rather than photos. So I tested my husband's iPhone 5s under similar lightning condition and got the same effect. This has been going on a long time.

This is terrible that an iPhone 6s plus almost $1,000 full price with tax can't take a great photo. It's half of the price of my canon 5d mark iii. I was going to buy one until I read the threads. :(

deadsoul

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2015
This is terrible that an iPhone 6s plus almost $1,000 full price with tax can't take a great photo. It's half of the price of my canon 5d mark iii. I was going to buy one until I read the threads. :(

Don't... you will be disappointed, otherwise test someone else's phone and find out yourself.

Reactions: doxielover

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
What version of iOS do you and your husband use on your iphone 5s's? I'm curious if upgrading from iOS 7 might make a difference.
We don't use them anymore. I gave mine to my daughter and she's on iOS 8.4.1 and she takes nothing but blurry photos of fuzzy cats so I can't really say how it's performing now. ;)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It's crazy. Some of my photos are great and amazing. Some are dreadful because of the noise reduction feature. It is frustrating.

The videos have always been great though. I take almost as many videos as I do photos so I'm not as upset as I might otherwise be. I have a Nikon DSLR and my husband has a Nikon and a Pentax but it's just such a chore to keep those cameras always charged and within reach. The iPhone is always with us.

I did figure out how to make the "Monet effect" work for me though. I often forcibly induce it to produce photos that look like beautiful paintings. I have done this with some beach scenes and landscapes on my previous iPhone 6. I'm all about making lemonade out of lemons!

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
We don't use them anymore. I gave mine to my daughter and she's on iOS 8.4.1 and she takes nothing but blurry photos of fuzzy cats so I can't really say how it's performing now. ;)
But when you did use them, do you remember what os they were on?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
But when you did use them, do you remember what os they were on?
Whatever one was out in 2013. I got my iPhone 6 in November, 2014. I used what iPhone 5s was released with and kept up with upgrades until I got my iPhone 6. I gave my daughter the iPhone 5s about two or three months ago.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
It's crazy. Some of my photos are great and amazing. Some are dreadful because of the noise reduction feature. It is frustrating.

The videos have always been great though. I take almost as many videos as I do photos so I'm not as upset as I might otherwise be. I have a Nikon DSLR and my husband has a Nikon and a Pentax but it's just such a chore to keep those cameras always charged and within reach. The iPhone is always with us.

I did figure out how to make the "Monet effect" work for me though. I often forcibly induce it to produce photos that look like beautiful paintings. I have done this with some beach scenes and landscapes on my previous iPhone 6. I'm all about making lemonade out of lemons!

I still love my 4s. It still works like a champ since the day I got it four years ago. I decided I wanted to buy a new 6s plus 128gb. I'm picky with photos especially with a phone that's $1,030. Now I don't know what to do. I am in the apple ecosystem so I don't want to switch. Should I just continue with the 4s? I keep my phone a long time so after reading this thread I'm thinking about waiting. I think for that price the photos should be outstanding. For the price of the new 6s plus I could buy a nice piece of glass for my Mark iii I just bought a new iPad Air 2 even though my iPad 2 is still going strong. Both iPads have cellular so since I got a new one I use old iPad 2 as a nice big GPS in my car with my phone as a hotspot.

I was hoping the new 6s plus would be the one to pull the trigger.

Having doubts now :(

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I still love my 4s. It still works like a champ since the day I got it four years ago. I decided I wanted to buy a new 6s plus 128gb. I'm picky with photos especially with a phone that's $1,030. Now I don't know what to do. I am in the apple ecosystem so I don't want to switch. Should I just continue with the 4s? I keep my phone a long time so after reading this thread I'm thinking about waiting. I think for that price the photos should be outstanding. For the price of the new 6s plus I could buy a nice piece of glass for my Mark iii I just bought a new iPad Air 2 even though my iPad 2 is still going strong. Both iPads have cellular so since I got a new one I use old iPad 2 as a nice big GPS in my car with my phone as a hotspot.

Well I haven't had my 6S plus long enough to tell how good of an all around performer the camera is but I can say that thanks to the OIS on my 6Plus I was getting focused shots in low light that I couldn't get before. I ended up with far fewer blurry indoor shots of kids and pets and more keepers. The water color effect didn't always show up.

Unfortunately I can't tell you about the newer iPhone camera yet. I've been too busy working on disciplining myself to get good living photos.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010

i think you're over reacting.
for a phone camera, it will be more than enough for your needs.
take a look at many samples on the net, and don't take the words here for granted.
the NR thing is indeed a little annoying (also for me) but that's about it.

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
i think you're over reacting.
for a phone camera, it will be more than enough for your needs.
take a look at many samples on the net, and don't take the words here for granted.
the NR thing is indeed a little annoying (also for me) but that's about it.

it's not satisfiying if the iphone picture quality gets worse over generations.

you have lots of sun light? iphone 6s certainly can make nice pictures here and there, but other than that: you're screwed.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
it's not satisfiying if the iphone picture quality gets worse over generations.

you have lots of sun light? iphone 6s certainly can make nice pictures here and there, but other than that: you're screwed.

still, we're basically talking about one and only aspect,
the water color NR which turns every picture to a drawing in close inspection.
i decided i can live with that.
but of course any tweak, update or improvement would be hugely welcomed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.