Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
I'm going to start a thread to try to offset all the negativity going on lately with this "chip-gate" business and other various complaints that, while some of which may be valid, they are very minor or non-existent for most people.

I've owned every iPhone since the 3G. While I'm a pretty huge Apple fan when it comes to mobile (I have the iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch - and I'm a fan because Apple earned my enthusiasm for their products over a number of years), I'm strictly Windows when it comes to PCs. So I have a head on my shoulders and some critical perspective.

The iPhone 6S+ is by far the best smartphone I've ever owned. Two weeks in, and I'm still shocked how good this device is. No prior iPhone has hit me that way. (It's mostly because of the SPEED and SMOOTHNESS.)

By the way, it has a Samsung CPU. I checked. I have NO complaints whatsoever about speed or battery life. I know what to expect out of a Plus and this device meets my battery life expectations fully. I'm glad to see some real world testing (albeit limited) happening, to show that the difference in real world conditions is actually minor. I trust Apple not to do something stupid and put a version of the iPhone on the street that has a 2 hour battery life penalty. I thought that claim was ridiculous when I heard it, and the overreaction by the media equally ridiculous. But I also know that there's advertising dollars to be earned by posting negative Apple headlines (it has become its own industry, much like selling screen protectors), so of course we are going to see these things happen.

I came from a 6+, and while I enjoyed the phone overall, the lack of sufficient RAM definitely impacted my enjoyment. The reloads, crashing, and stutters bothered me. I'd often turn to my laptop when doing heavy web browsing just for performance reasons. But no longer.

The 6S+ was the iPhone I always wanted. It has the RAM headroom to multitask beautifully, respond instantly, load the most complex web pages, and overall just do what I want exactly when I want it without ever giving me the feeling that I'm asking too much of it. But Apple didn't just upgrade the RAM. They pushed the CPU way forward, and customized the memory controller too. The whole package just works so much more smoothly.

I shot and edited 4K video and was stunned by the result, particularly the responsiveness of iMovie during the editing process and the effectiveness of the Optical Image Stabilization. It looks like I used a Stedicam.

I'm looking forward to the iPhone 7 where we will get a redesign of the phone's body, but in the mean time the glass is new and so is the aluminum.

Also, I don't want to forget 3D Touch, which is really innovative and will have a big effect on the evolution of the iPhone going forward. The pressure sensitivity of the display really does add a whole new dimension to the UI, and it's just starting to be realized. The complaint about a dead-zone in 3D Touch is not something I've noticed at all, personally. I haven't gone looking for it, and don't see a need to.

This is just my perspective. Lighter users of the 6/6+ may not notice a big speed difference. Some folks may have defective units or a software glitch causing lag/stuttering. But I'm 100% happy with mine. No problems at all. And I use it heavily.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
This all day. Couldn't have said it better myself. I feel exactly the same way.

If you're coming from a 6+, you know exactly what the OP is talking about. The 6s+ is what we all dreamed we had while using the 6+. It's stupid fast, smooth as silk and as powerful as any smart phone out there, yet extremely power efficient.

I find myself not wanting to put it down most of the time. That's what an iPhone should be and Apple nailed it this year. Fantastic work Tim Cook and co.

MaxBga

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2015
France
It's like even better than the 6+ which was amazing. I love this phone, Apple really did a good job with this S version.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I was happy with my 6+ but im happier with the 6s plus, its a totally new phone it performs so well it's unbelievable! I don't regret my purchase at all!

ostrykolesz

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Poland
Love mine. Came from a Nexus 5 just because Android 5.0 got too buggy and while Apple fixes their bugs right away, Google treats problems like the Linux community treats their bugs - "we'll fix them when we want to". Mind you that the 6 really didn't blow me away - but it was stable and the battery held up better than the Nexus 5. Then came Continuity - best feature ever. Love replying to my text messages on my Mac and talking on my Mac. Although the 6 had better battery life than the Nexus 5 I always ended up charging it some time during the day to make it through. So I got a 6s+ (Samsung :)) I can't comment about the battery life, but this baby flies. It now makes the 6 feel like it's 2 generations behind and not one. It's worth an upgrade just because of the speed and of course everything else... but the speed is the most mind blowing. It really is the perfect phone.

Reactions: redman042

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I've owned every iPhone since the 3G. While I'm a pretty huge Apple fan when it comes to mobile (I have the iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch - and I'm a fan because Apple earned my enthusiasm for their products over a number of years), I'm strictly Windows when it comes to PCs. So I have a head on my shoulders and some critical perspective.

I appreciate your comments, but those of us with Macs have a head on our shoulders, too. ;)

redman042

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
I appreciate your comments, but those of us with Macs have a head on our shoulders, too. ;)

I think Macs are great. My only point there was I use multiple products not just Apple, yet I still think the new iPhone is the best smartphone by far.

The industry I work in pretty much lives on PCs, so that's what I need to use.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
After 3 years of Android, I am totally happy with my switch to the iPhone 6s Plus. It's a great device with super battery life and buttery smooth. Touch ID is so fast and works with my apps to provide an extra layer of security. It is a large phone, but I really don't have an issue with that either because that big screen is worth it. I do miss a bit of the customization from Android, but I don't miss the lag, the having to clear app and partition cache in order to keep my phone running smooth.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
You might've just convinced me to go for the 6s Plus. I avoided the 6 Plus because of the issues you mentioned; it seemed a bit half-baked to me, whereas the 6s Plus is the big iPhone properly realised.

I'm also getting a bit tired of the smaller display size. I'm quietly envious of my friends who have the Plus models, and I think the bigger phone actually makes more sense with the Watch to complement it.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Ill have so disagree - I had the 6 Plus and was very happy with it. I switched because my contract was up for renewal. What I dislike about the 6S Plus:

- it's too heavy. For me, the 6+ was borderline and the 6S Plus pushes it over the edge.
- LTE reception is noticeable worse on my carrier (Swisscom). At first I thought I had a faulty unit - got it exchanged but it's the same with the new one. I get around 10dbm less in and that's enough to push the phone to EDGE on a regular basis. I admittedly don't have good coverage where I live, but with the old one I had no problems getting LTE. Wifi reception is also marginally worse. What's better, however, is data speed if I manage to get an LTE signal on it.
- it gets very hot and battery life is worse than on the 6+. Both units had / have the Samsung chip :-/

redman042

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
My 6S+ has the Samsung chip and I have not noticed any issues whatsoever with battery. The phone easily lasts as long as my prior 6+. Not sure why some others are experiencing differently. Maybe software issues?

Reactions: iEs

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
So basically because they crippled the 6 plus with 1GB of ram the 6s plus is an amazing phone? It's unfortunate Apple routinely gets away with that
Well multitasking and web page refreshes weren't the only issues with the 6 plus. It also routinely stuttered, froze, lagged, or outright required restarts. The significantly improved processor is the likely reason the 6s plus doesn't have those issues.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Well.

When using iPhone 6 Plus playing some landscape based games, I realise iPhone 6s Plus would not be the choice for me, no matter how fast it is in many ways.

Force touch is good. Yes. But the feedback is just so bad. I can hardly believe such feedback comes from a thousand dollar expensive device.

Design remains the same, meaning that all issues I have encountered while using iPhone 6 Plus will last on iPhone 6s Plus as well. For example, I can easily trigger volume control while trying to sleep the phone. And when playing games, it is very easy to press either volume button, and lose the game because of that huge volume indicator showing on screen, covering the centre area of gameplay. Plus, speaker position is really bad, forcing me to do a decision on either not able to listen to music or not able to hold device without accidentally pressing volume button, while some music games does require both.

Battery capacity IS smaller. No need to defend. It is smaller, although not so much.

So, I will see what Apple could have on iPhone 7, a presumably new design, and again, improvements on processor, camera etc.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
So basically because they crippled the 6 plus with 1GB of ram the 6s plus is an amazing phone? It's unfortunate Apple routinely gets away with that

I wholeheartedly agree. We're all raving over the 6S+ because it actually works properly. The 6+ I bought 10 months ago for £699 should have worked properly too. Sadly it was crippled from the moment Apple signed off the spec at the pre-production stage.

Reactions: 5105973 and Osamede

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Yeah, so I'm sending this from my new 6s Plus, 64GB Rose Gold. I'm in love. I'll say no more.

Thanks, OP. Your comments helped me make my decision and I haven't felt this good about a new iPhone since the 4. For me, that's huge.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
6s Plus 128GB Space Grey
TSMC Chip
Typical use two days weekend, normal charge every night.
40% AT&T LTE one to two bars
60% WiFi AirPort Extreme 802.11ac Comcast cable 120 Mbps
25% screen brightness manual, except when outside at 100%
Hey Siri on all time, mail at 15 min, system services share location and find phone on others off, iCloud music, location on for apps if using except for weather on always, auto app update on for blocker apps others off, diagnostics usage on, advertising off, WiFi assist off, low power mode not used.

Have run this several times since receiving phone on 9/25 with similar results. All running smoothly, no lag, no issues what so ever. It's a keeper.

image.jpeg

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I'll also speak up in favor of the iPhone 6s Plus. I came from an iPhone 6 and wanted the larger screen. I knew after about 2 months or so with the 6 that I had made a mistake in not getting the 6 Plus, but decided to wait until the next series came out. I'm totally happy with everything about my 6s Plus, battery life, smoothness, speed size, weight (and I always put my iPhones in cases which of course adds to the weight).

I'll now do my little happy dance with my 6s Plus.

Reactions: 204353
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.