Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
You don't even need to "activate" it with the carrier, just get a sim card and put it in, restart phone. Its that simple.
You do if you are opening an account with one of those carriers for the first time. Verizon and Sprint won't just sell you a SIM card unless they can add an IMEI to their database. It's a relic of the CDMA days that is no longer technically necessary, but they do it, anyway.

Reactions: John.B

idqui1994

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
Didn't know SIM-free iphones were a new thing in the states now...

Coming from Canada I find that interesting.

However our phone plans suck; we pay $80 for 2GB.

Thats the prices in Ontario, I love in Quebec and for that price you have 6GB

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I'm no expert but when i bought my phone two weeks ago, paying monthly for 24 months to Apple, I was told that it was unlocked. After reading this, i called Apple Support and again was told that the phones are unlocked so while I'm paying ATT for my monthly charges, I believe this 6S is definitely unlocked. Perhaps there's a difference between SIM Free and Unlocked but it's all ok if we're unlocked from the beginning....i hope.

If you bought an AT&T smartphone with a two-year commitment, no matter where you got it, it's locked.

If you bought an AT&T smartphone with no contract directly from Apple and paid full price, it's unlocked.

If you bought an AT&T smartphone from AT&T, regardless of whether you paid full price or not, it's locked.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
What's funny is that I was just at the apple store earlier today and as I was doing an exchange, I asked about if they guy knew about when the sim-free model would come out, and he had no idea. As we talked, I told him that I'm guessing that this time around that it would be the AT&T model since it has all the bands. And I guessed it right.

I assume that the sim-free models does not qualify for the iUP?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
If you bought an AT&T smartphone with a two-year commitment, no matter where you got it, it's locked.

If you bought an AT&T smartphone with no contract directly from Apple and paid full price, it's unlocked.

If you bought an AT&T smartphone from AT&T, regardless of whether you paid full price or not, it's locked.

1)You can only buy phones on 2 year commitments from AT&T now. They don't allow third party retailers to sell that.
2)True
3)True, but you can immediately request an unlock if you paid full price.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
They may be available for purchase online but so far it looks like only Hawaii and Alaska have the phone available to reserve in store. Otherwise, an iPhone 6s Plus in Space Grey 128GB won't ship for another 2-3 weeks.
That's because only the stores in Alaska and Hawaii are open long enough to make a reservation. The West Coast stores are closing soon. Even the 5th Ave store (24/7) stops iPhone sales at 9:00.

Reactions: jent

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Direct from Apple Store:

The SIM-free iPhone comes without a wireless contract commitment or carrier financing. It doesn’t come with a nano-SIM card for iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, or iPhone 5s. And because it’s unlocked, it isn’t tied to one carrier, so you can get a nano-SIM from any supported carrier worldwide, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint in the United States.

I've seen this type of language on the Apple website over the years, and people have still had issues getting the phones activated on the Verizon network. Search back through the MR forums, lots of frustrated people over the years with Verizon...

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
I've seen this type of language on the Apple website over the years, and people have still had issues getting the phones activated on the Verizon network. Search back through the MR forums, lots of frustrated people over the years with Verizon...

three weeks ago verizon said f'it and they white listed every single iPhone 6 and 6+ as well as every google nexus 6. you are now allowed to take any t-mobile unlocked iPhone 6 to verizon just like you can take sim free iPhone 6 to verizon. the only thing about the 6 and 6+ with verizon is , it has to be unlocked.

link
https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/3gw0kw/psa_verizon_just_whitelisted_the_iphone_6_and_6/?

we should search the macrumors forums and reply to every thread and tell them to nevermnd.

now we just have to wait till they get all bent out of shape and white list the 6s models

Last edited:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
This may be a stupid question, but with the SIM-Free model do you need to put in a SIM card to be able to start using the phone? I know that even if you bought the T-Mobile model full price, you had to have a valid SIM card inserted before you could do anything.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This may be a stupid question, but with the SIM-Free model do you need to put in a SIM card to be able to start using the phone? I know that even if you bought the T-Mobile model full price, you had to have a valid SIM card inserted before you could do anything.
Yes. All SIM free means is that it doesn't come with a SIM and is unlocked.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Yes, you still need to insert a sim. Sim-Free just means that when you buy the phone it does NOT come with a sim and is Factory Unlocked.

Dizzy Slip

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
So what's the difference between buying an unlocked iPhone full priced directly from Apple and buying an iPhone via Apple's Upgrade Program? Aren't those unlocked as well? I thought that was part of the point of the Upgrade Program: you aren't beholden to any carrier for the phone and you aren't utilizing a subsidized contract. You buy a phone from Apple via the Upgrade Program and it's configured for a particular carrier. But if you want to leave-- assuming you've already fulfilled the terms of your contract with the carrier-- you can take the iPhone and go to another carrier. All they charge you for switching is for a new SIM card. It's the same thing with the unlocked iPhones. Right or wrong?

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
There were already some third party retailers that were selling it like this since their first shipment. Dont know why Apple waited if this is really the first time since launch.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
So what's the difference between buying an unlocked iPhone full priced directly from Apple and buying an iPhone via Apple's Upgrade Program? Aren't those unlocked as well? I thought that was part of the point of the Upgrade Program: you aren't beholden to any carrier for the phone and you aren't utilizing a subsidized contract. You buy a phone from Apple via the Upgrade Program and it's configured for a particular carrier. But if you want to leave-- assuming you've already fulfilled the terms of your contract with the carrier-- you can take the iPhone and go to another carrier. All they charge you for switching is for a new SIM card. It's the same thing with the unlocked iPhones. Right or wrong?
The Apple Upgrade Program requires you to have an active line on one of the four major carriers in the U.S., and it's tied to your credit.

You're right that it's also unlocked, but full price allows you to buy without tying it to your credit and without requiring a cell phone plan.

GhostRaider

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
So the Sim-Free iPhone 6S is a world phone basically. If I get a T-Mobile iPhone 6S and unlock it, will it also work on Sprint/Verizon?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
All the articles that I've read so far say that sales are not meeting expectations. And the fact that Apple is offering sim-free phones less than two weeks after release kinda confirms it. Two weeks after release is unheard of. it usually takes two to three months for them to show up.
Sales didn't meet expectations? Where did you read that ?

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Sales didn't meet expectations? Where did you read that ?

Must have been the article that stated that Apple had record-breaking sales opening weekend :rolleyes: I seriously don't know how people are coming to the conclusion that sales aren't doing well.

Anyway, I'm glad they're offering the SIM-free model much earlier this year! A good sign for me when I upgrade to the 7 next year. Heck, maybe it's a step toward offering the SIM-free model on launch day next year! :D

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
So my unlocked full price att A1634 6S Plus is the same sim free phone as what Apple is selling.

What's strange is I have both att and Verizon. When I put in Verizon nano sim. When I go under cellular options. It only gives me "data only" option. I try to choose voice only or voice and data with Verizon and it won't let me choose it

But when I try to pay a regular call it works perfect. My sms text show up as my real Verizon phone number.

The reason why you can't activate voice & data is because on Verizon you need to add the feature code for Advanced Calling 1.0 and HD Voice. When I inserted the sim card into iPhone 6s Plus from iPhone 5 I was not able to activate voice & data until I added the feature code for Advanced Calling and HD Voice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.