Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you encountered this issue yet?

• Yes

Votes: 695 56.6%
  • No

Votes: 533 43.4%

• Total voters

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Update #1: iOS 9.0.2 is released.
Update #2: Issue confirmed in isolated cases at Apple forums
Update #3: New survey questions (thanks notgreg)
Update #4: A possible fix has arrived.
Update #5: iOS Public Beta 4 is released.
Update #6: iOS Public Beta 5 is released.
Update #7: iOS 9.1 Released.
Update #8: There is now a repair program for this:
https://www.macrumors.com/2016/11/20/iphone-6s-shutdown-repair-program/

----------------

Archived Information

View the latest data here.

Issue:
Many users have found out that their iPhone 6S's and other iOS devices not waking up, even when left unattended. Although it appears that the device turned off due to the screen not displaying, it may actually be frozen.

How do I fix it?
It is fixed by forcing a restart of holding the home and power button for 10 seconds.

Is this problem a priority bug fix for Apple?
I was told by an Apple rep that this error isn't well documented. Based on our survey, this is probably because it is not identifiable in diagnostics. But we still need to look at them, because they provide substantial info about the device.

How can I help?
1. Send diagnostics to Apple
On your iOS device, go to Settings > Privacy > Diagnostics & Usage, and select Automatically Send
2. Call Apple Care and let them check.
3. Take the survey below. Be specific and show us your diagnostics logs.

*if you are a Beta user, submit your bug through the app.

What causes it?
I've been told by Apple support that at least one of (many?) possible causes is likely corrupted iCloud backups. If you've restored your device from any previous backup through iCloud, and that backup is corrupted, it could result in this problem. There has been some acknowledgment that iCloud still has bugs.

How should I fix the problem completely?
First, make sure you are running the latest iOS 9 point release. If you run beta, those are inherently unstable so your results may vary.

Method 1: (for those who setup a device as new OR restored from backup)

Reset all your settings and test for a couple days for stability before attempting anything else. (Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings>

Method 2: (for those who restored from backup)
If #1 fails, make sure all your iCloud data is saved then setup as a new iPhone (here). You'll need to re-download all your apps manually so create a list first. Your iCloud data can be synced from your account, so that part is covered.

The key is to get a clean install and then create a backup from there. Then, create a backup on iTunes (not iCloud) and save that one. Test for a few days and if it's okay, you can create an iCloud backup again.

Please report your results after trying these. Especially if the problem is still not fixed.

Setting up your device as new means you are responsible for keeping your data. Please ask Apple support if you aren't comfortable.

-------

Survey:
The survey is still open but the spreadsheet is paused for now.

1. Model, OS, and actions before the problem occurred.
2. Was the device started as
new, or restored from a backup?
3. Was it
restored through iTunes or restored through iCloud?
4. Has the device displayed a heat warning prior to shutting down?
5. Please post any crash logs from your device. (Settings>Privacy>Diagnostics & Usage>Diagnostics & Usage Data.)

Sample Diagnostics:
1. iPhone 6S 64 GB Gold, iOS 9.01, idle state
2. Restored from backup
3. Restored through iCloud
4. None
5. See below:

Sample Kernel Panic Log:
(There is no need to scroll through the list, as the only important logs will be at the top and they will start with a long string of numbers. (example here) )

Incident Identifier: 2DF88CD6-7F78-43F3-B3D4-0BF9F3960DDA
CrashReporter Key: 768d5d741ff408154afa54e0f1a8629589420d74
Hardware Model: iPhone5,1
Date/Time: 2013-07-21 16:14:15.097 -0600
OS Version: iOS 6.1.4 (10B350)

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x81d3176b): "AppleUSBEHCI[0x83aa0000]::WaitForAsyncSchedule: USBCMD (0x00010351) and USBSTS (0x0000c000) did not synchronize"
Debugger message: panic
OS version: 10B350
Kernel version: Darwin Kernel Version 13.0.0: Wed Feb 13 21:40:10 PST 2013; root:xnu-2107.7.55.2.2~1/RELEASE_ARM_S5L8950X
iBoot version: iBoot-1537.9.55
secure boot?: YES
Paniclog version: 1
Kernel slide: 0x0000000001800000
Kernel text base: 0x81801000
Epoch Time: sec usec
Boot : 0x51e457b6 0x00000000
Sleep : 0x51e5b99b 0x0007aac7
Wake : 0x51e5b9aa 0x00000009
Calendar: 0x51e5c0d0 0x000e78f5

Sample Error Log (from echothree):
(
Titles vary a lot here)

Identifier: com.apple.SafariServices.ContentBlockerLoader
Version: 1 (1.0)
Code Type: ARM-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [1]

Date/Time: 2015-10-02 08:30:47.47 -0400
Launch Time: 2015-10-02 08:30:46.46 -0400
OS Version: iOS 9.0.1 (13A405)
Report Version: 105

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Subtype: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000010
Triggered by Thread: 5

Sample Reset Counter Log (from echothree):
(Title is something like ResetCounter-2015-10-02-3039393.ips)

Date: 2015-10-02 10:11:54 -0400
Reset count: 0
Boot failure count: 1
Boot faults: btn_rst
Boot stage: 255
Boot app: 2681261667

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I just experienced this issue. I've been editing photos for the past couple hours with my headphones on so I wasn't paying attention to my 6s. Went to run out the door and my phone wouldn't turn on. I held down the power/lock button and it wouldn't start. I kept pressing the home button and nothing would happen. Finally I held down both the lock and home button to do a hard reset and it rebooted fine.

I don't think I've ever experienced this on any iPhone I've had before, which is all of them except the 5s. I hope this doesn't become an issue! I've had other iPhones reboot or respring when crashing, but this happened with no interaction and didn't automatically restart itself. If this happens in my pocket I could miss important messages without knowing it. My battery had also dropped 8% with no usage (I've been paying attention to the battery since I got it on Friday). I didn't think to check my Apple Watch to see if it still had a connection before rebooting. But I'm pretty sure it was down for the count.

iPhone 6s 128GB SG unlocked
iOS 9.0.1

Fix: Hold down both buttons to hard reboot

I hope this is just an iOS 9 issue!

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
I just experienced this issue. I've been editing photos for the past couple hours with my headphones on so I wasn't paying attention to my 6s. Went to run out the door and my phone wouldn't turn on. I held down the power/lock button and it wouldn't start. I kept pressing the home button and nothing would happen. Finally I held down both the lock and home button to do a hard reset and it rebooted fine.

I don't think I've ever experienced this on any iPhone I've had before, which is all of them except the 5s. I hope this doesn't become an issue! I've had other iPhones reboot or respring when crashing, but this happened with no interaction and didn't automatically restart itself. If this happens in my pocket I could miss important messages without knowing it. My battery had also dropped 8% with no usage (I've been paying attention to the battery since I got it on Friday). I didn't think to check my Apple Watch to see if it still had a connection before rebooting. But I'm pretty sure it was down for the count.

iPhone 6s 128GB SG unlocked
iOS 9.0.1

Fix: Hold down both buttons to hard reboot

I hope this is just an iOS 9 issue!

Exact same situation here. I didn't know it turned off until I checked it. I also haven't had this experience with an old iPhone 5, so it may be a software issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: orinor777

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
I've had the same issue, but with me it happens whilst using the phone. Screen goes off and won't turn on unless I hold down the power button. Have experienced this a fair few times since Saturday.

EDIT: iOS 9.0.1

Last edited:
Reactions: freedomisle

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I've had the same issue, but with me it happens whilst using the phone. Screen goes off and won't turn on unless I hold down the power button. Have experienced this a fair few times since Saturday.

You must have the Samsung chip. :)

I've seen this a few times with iPhones. Not sure what causes it or why. Have not experienced this with my 6S Plus though nor my 6.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
This has happened to me twice since I received the phone on Friday. I think the phone is not completely powering off, since the first time I was playing music in my car over Bluetooth, I shut the car off, then went to get out of the car and when I picked up my phone it would not turn on. The music did not stop until I turned the car off, So I think the phone itself was still on. This happened again to me last night, my alarm clock did not go off this morning, and when I went to grab my phone it would not turn on. A hard reset fixed it both times.

Edit for details: running 9.1 beta 2, iPhone 6s+ 64GB Space Gray, AT&T.

Last edited:

forum10

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2015
The same happened to me twice now. I hope its just a software issue. I am running 9.1 beta 2.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
My iPhone 6S Plus 64GB has also done this twice in 3 days. Im guessing a software issue. I am using the T-Mobile variant, but have a dead pixel so I am returning anyway. A pretty bad bug though.

Happened on 9.0.1 and 9.1 beta 2.

Last edited:

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada
Mine did this too this morning.

No way I could turn it on, until I held the power button and the home button.

I have the iPhone 6s 128gb model software v. 9.01

Did anyone get yours replaced?

Last edited:

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Everyone, be sure to let us know which version of iOS you use (9.0, 9.01 etc)

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I remember seeing something similar on my six but only happened if I made a phone call while phone was plugged into computer. Screen would be black call would continue but no way to clear call or get control of device. Home and power button was only way to get back control.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
This happens periodically with my 6 (non s) Plus, since installing iOS 9/9.0.1

Home button wont wake it, and sometimes the power button won't either. I hold down the power button to get to the "slide to power off" then it works.

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada
This happens periodically with my 6 (non s) Plus, since installing iOS 9/9.0.1

Home button wont wake it, and sometimes the power button won't either. I hold down the power button to get to the "slide to power off" then it works.

Good to know. At least we now know it isn't just related to the 6s models. So let's hope Apple comes out with a fix to this!

smkintenn

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
Happened to me while charging over night. Missed my alarm, too. Had to hard reset to get it to come back on. 6S 64GB 9.1 b2

Reactions: dave420

teeburd

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Mine died and the home button became scorching hot for a long time... After it cooled I could hard boot it.  said to turn on most location apps & close open programs... Sounded like they were grasping at straws....

Reactions: Ss70

mar12

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2015
Update: Just had it happen to me again(the second time). Pulled the phone out of my pocket and it wouldn't turn on. Home button was hot and the home + lock reset worked.

This is ridiculous to be honest. I want to take it to apple but it seems this issue is not an isolated incident. Hoping it's just a matter of software update

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
Orlando, FL
This issue is more common than you probably think. Nothing to worry about. These phones are basically computers now. Sometimes they just need to be restarted. We see it a couple ones a day at the location I work at.

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
This issue is more common than you probably think. Nothing to worry about. These phones are basically computers now. Sometimes they just need to be restarted. We see it a couple ones a day at the location I work at.

I agree that it is probably more common. But some people's jobs require them to get notifications at night. Also, computers don't just randomly turn off. If anyone would care about this, Apple would.

Reactions: mspman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.