Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barondebxl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
Some of us are actually having issues. I've owned every iPhone and have never had a temperature warning, or brightness limited due to overheating, during regular use. This isn't normal behavior.
Yea that's definitely not normal. I don't have any of the issues but if you are getting warning messages then clearly this thread is relevant.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Nikos, how's the device doing now? Mine got a bit hot during an OS update but after that it was fine. My iPhone 6 used to get hot if I talked on it over 30 minutes or so, so that's maybe not native to just the 6s. I didn't get a temperature warning at any point though.

I had a little freezing/lag issue for about 24 hours after setting up device and then after updating OS. However that cleared on its own thankfully. I was offered a replacement as the phone was acting up in front of the Apple employee. The replacement they offered (She said it was new but a service unit, so came in that plain small white box) had a dead pixel very obvious dead center. It was the last unit, so I just took mine back. Glad I did.

For reference, mine is a TSMC.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Some of us are actually having issues. I've owned every iPhone and have never had a temperature warning, or brightness limited due to overheating, during regular use. This isn't normal behavior.

I wasn't saying to do that. I was posting the response to another member who asked what I was talking about. Those were his words. I was explaining that if he wasn't having an issue or didn't agree with the thread, why is he in here.

I have nothing against this thread. :)

Reactions: Nikos

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
I wasn't saying to do that. I was posting the response to another member who asked what I was talking about. Those were his words. I was explaining that if he wasn't having an issue or didn't agree with the thread, why is he in here.

Ah, I see now. Sorry about that!

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015

Wich soc you have?

Sgt.ThroatPunch

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2015
For data collection purposes: My wife's 6S gets very hot while charging, even through an Otterbox defender. She has the Samsung A9. My TSMC does not get anywhere near as hot. Ever.

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
For data collection purposes: My wife's 6S gets very hot while charging, even through an Otterbox defender. She has the Samsung A9. My TSMC does not get anywhere near as hot. Ever.

My Samsung A9 does not get hot when charging. Every now and again my phone will get warm when in use, but not on charge

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
You good with the tmmc,

No, not so. It's true that the Samsung seems to get warmer more often in general use, but there are reports in this thread and elsewhere of the TSMC chipped phones giving temperature warnings etc - these issues apply to both.

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
No, not so. It's true that the Samsung seems to get warmer more often in general use, but there are reports in this thread and elsewhere of the TSMC chipped phones giving temperature warnings etc - these issues apply to both.

Do you have any kind of proof that the tsmc gets temp. Warnings? Because tsmc they don't gets so hot, what I understand from the movies on youtube. Also the tmsc have longer battery life.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Do you have any kind of proof that the tsmc gets temp. Warnings? Because tsmc they don't gets so hot, what I understand from the movies on youtube. Also the tmsc have longer battery life.

Just read through this thread, some of the people experiencing overheat issues here (and I'm talking about overheating, not simply getting warm) confirm they have TSMC chips.

The YouTube videos you're talking about do confirm that the Samsung runs a couple of degrees hotter under load, however that's a different matter to the overheating errors that some people are seeing on their phones. I'm not saying that isn't happening to Samsung phones too (I'm not sure) but it certainly isn't exclusive to the samsung's in any way.

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
Hmmm, that's strange, so what's the big problem then? That both chips gets to hot?

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Hmmm, that's strange, so what's the big problem then? That both chips gets to hot?

Quite simply I don't think anyone knows yet. It doesn't affect all phones of either extraction, that's for sure. In normal use the Samsung does run a little warmer than the TSMC, and I think people are jumping to the conclusion that's the cause behind some phones overheating, but from what I've read it can't be pinned to that. It's probably some other occasional manufacturing defect somewhere else on the phone that can cause either chip problems.

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
Quite simply I don't think anyone knows yet. It doesn't affect all phones of either extraction, that's for sure. In normal use the Samsung does run a little warmer than the TSMC, and I think people are jumping to the conclusion that's the cause behind some phones overheating, but from what I've read it can't be pinned to that. It's probably some other occasional manufacturing defect somewhere else on the phone that can cause either chip problems.

Good point,

I think there will be a new batch that covers all the heat issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.